“Pub Grub, but bad but be prepared to wait”
Review of Four Horseshoes

Four Horseshoes
Ranked #231 of 854 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$10 - US$121
Cuisines: Armenian, British, Pub
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Rainham, United Kingdom
“Pub Grub, but bad but be prepared to wait”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Unfortunately when we went there was a ' do" which spilled out into the pub area and as it was quite noisy it took the edge off the evening and also meant the food was delayed. The staff were honest and did advise us of this so were prepared for a wait.The menu had a wide choice with a number of additional specials. The sirloin steak was cooked as asked for,rare, but was thin and certainly not worth the money being charged. Everything else was fine being well cooked and presented

Yorkshire
“Pleasant pub food in good atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed on holiday in the nearby Premier Inn and ate at the Four Horseshoes on two separate evenings.
The pub is about a mile from the hotel and easy to find, with plenty of parking. There was the choice of a set menu with two mains for £12, or a la carte. The food was modern pub food.
The set menu was excellent value with a good range of meals. No surprises.
The bar staff were friendly and helpful with a good mix of local and visiting clientele. On our second evening we were treated to live music.

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Poor quality meat or badly cooked meat!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My wife ordered pork roast (Sunday Lunch). The meat was tough, the potatoes cold and the carrots undercooked. She took it back and was offered something else. She chose the meat pie. This was better but some of the meat (beef?) was stringy. Again the vegetables (carrots, cabbage & broccoli) were undercooked. Not to be recommended.

1 Thank Peter H
Southampton, England
“Fathers 80th birthday”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Have not been here for a good ten years. Lovely pub/ restaurant.
Food very good, large portions, so maybe go without a starter.
Staff very friendly.
Would recommend.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank teressa20
Littleborough, United Kingdom
“Shouldn't take on more than you can handle”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Called into the four horseshoes on a flying visit whilst waiting to get on a cruise
The pub looks a nice country pub. Nice setting, roomy pub, good menu and facilities
Ordered a couple of drinks and some food at 18.30
At 19.20 I had to ask where the food was when we saw people who came in well after us getting served.
The food I saw looked good, nice plate full and well presented, particularly liked the nice chunky chips in the little 'deep fry' baskets I saw served to others
We didn't order anything exotic, the pulled pork 'burger' (it was burger night) and grilled salmon with potatoes and asparagus.
After 55 minutes I wasn't really impressed. The meat was nice but unlike the nice chips I hade seen, my 'seasoned' fries were those thin frozen chips.... Yes without any discernible seasoning.
Do people assume because you order a burger or american style dish, that you want those horrible thin fries?
We got an apology from the lady at the bar. " I can only apologise on 'their' behalf (presumably the kitchen staff) there was a table of 17 at the back of the pub.
Well what can I say? If you are going to advertise American style dishes, try the American attitude to service - 55 minutes is ridiculous and for the first time in years, nobody came to my table to say " is everything ok."
You can do more than just apologise! A discount, complimentary ice cream? Any sort of gesture can be appreciated!
And if you are busy, and someone is ordering food, tell them there may be a delay! Why just expect someone to wait for an hour?
This looks like a great pub, I was glad I had gone, but when I left I wished I had called at the Beefeater up the road.
You can try harder four horseshoes!

• Visited May 2014