“Excellent value for money”
Review of Bellemoor Tavern

Bellemoor Tavern
Ranked #635 of 890 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$8 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Bellemoor is a pub local to us, which we have used quite a bit. It has always been cheap and cheerful, no complaints. They have just released a new menu, which we decided to try last night. I have to say for value for money, this was excellent!

The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. It was just a 'can't be bothered to cook' last minute thing to go there, so we only had one course, but it was excellent. My husband had the wild boar burger, which came with fried egg, roasted apple & black pudding, and he upgraded to sweet potato chips. I had the brie and red pepper savoury cheesecake with sweet potato chips, and both meals were excellent. My husband also had two pints of ale and I had a coke and a tea, and the bill was only just over £25, a real bargain.

A lot of the bargain meal pubs are very poor quality, but I have to say the food here was excellent in every respect and we will be frequenting a lot more regularly.

2  Thank HappyTraveller0350

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have eaten in this pub lots of time in the past but on a recent visit decided that it is not what it was.
The menu has changed and the food has the appearance and taste of having more than a passing aquaintance with a microwave.
I do think we will be returning

1  Thank annteke
Reviewed 26 August 2013

When we visit the Bellemoor pub we either sit outside for a drink after a walk on Southampton common which is absolutely fine or we go to do the quiz on a Sunday night. We did this last night and made the mistake of going in to order some food beforehand. The menu could be described as 'cheap and cheerful'. Unfortunately I was anything but cheerful when my burger arrived. I have eaten my fair share of dodgy burgers and this definitely topped the list, the poorest quality meat you could imagine. Maybe at a price of just over £5 I shouldn't have expected much else. Others in the group had the cod which wasn't so bad and the scampi which again was 'ok'. The pub does seem to be in bit of a state, the table was sticky and needed a good wipe and the toilets, particularly the men's absolutely stank ( on the way past to the ladies). We have commented several times about the state of the toilets but they are never any different. The quiz was as enjoyable as ever and the waitresses who came to collect our plates were very pleasant. We won't be tempted by the food again but will stick to a few drinks with friends either in the sun outside or enjoying the quiz.

1  Thank KateM76
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The pub is filthy, toilets are disgusting and food is bland and tastes reheated.
I saw a man repaint the pub and he never washed off the dirt before he started painting. The tables are always sticky. The toilets smell really bad and are not clean, I'd hate to see the kitchen. The food is not great, the only decent thing is the price but its still more then I would pay for the food you get. But then again this pub will continue to be busy purely down to where it is.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Bellemoor Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Casperboots,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Bellemoor in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

John Barras

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The Bellemoore at Hill Lane Southampton is lacking atmosphere and boasts quite a tired and dated decor with uncomfortable seating and sticky tables - I believe the manager has been waiting for a couple of years for a re-furb which is long overdue.
The menu doesnt really cater for veggies - not even the vegetarian lasagne which seems to be the staple veggie option in most pubs ( and who would get excited by that prospect!!!!)
There seems to be a quick turn around in staff , some of whom are very friendly and others who consider it an imposition to serve you!
This is a large establishment which could be even more of a gold-mine if it was presented better with decent seating and lighting and staff who were trained in customer service.