“What a wonderful stay”
Review of Wayside Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
Wayside Lodge
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed at Wayside lodge last week and found it to be the opposite of the below review. It looks like the B & B has been renovated. We had a family on suite room, the decor was warming, welcome was pleasant and also the breakfast was perfect. I found the landlady Sarah to be very accomodating, had a great incite to the local area and was alwaysasking if we were happy. I'd highly recomend Wayside Lodge to any potential visitors.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This B&B seemed like the sensible option as It was the cheapest in the area at £45 per night for a double room and the closest to the sailing course we were doing.

You can almost forgive the gaffer tape on the stairs holding the carpet together, the terrible 80s pink headboard, shinny pink wallpaper and mismatch of bed sheets in the bedroom by saying that it 'adds character' to the place.

What I can not accept is that it is just down right dirty.

There is one communal shower room (and one additional toilet (without a sink)) between 6 bedrooms. The bathroom had clearly not been cleaned for several weeks, possibly months, as the once white tiles on the wall are now light brown with a layer of grime and had black mould covering the grout.

I asked the landlady when she last cleaned the bathroom and her response was " um, not sure, I think I cleaned it a few days ago"!!!!

The room we had our breakfast in was messy with piles of old boxes and paperwork around the edge of the room. The table was laid with grubby table mats and almost clean cutlery.

There were 4 options of cereal, all of which were practically empty, and my request for a 'Full English Breakfast', was clearly an inconvenience to the landlady. When my pot of tea arrived, it was dusty and there was hair around the spout.

All of this combined with the smell that is reminiscent of somewhere between baked beans and old people as you walk in the door, I would not recommend this place.

The sad thing is that all its needs is a jolly good clean and a lick of paint, to put it in the 'quirky' 'character full' category.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple