“Really enjoyed it”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Really enjoyed it”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I used my free tickets (issued to everyone living in Southampton I think) to visit this museum with my parents(note I am forced to tick "family (teens)" as the sort of visit, but none of us were children or teenagers).

I thought it was really interesting. The main focus is on the crew, as most of them were from Southampton. You follow the story of several crew members, including the Captain, a lookout boy and a ladies maid. The story of ordinary people (as opposed to the rich, powerful and famous) is not often told. I found out a lot about Southampton. Some of the people lost on Titanic lived in my street, and I didn't know that.

As noted in other reviews, there are few actual artifacts from Titanic. Most went down with the ship.

The building is awesome. Until recently it was the main police station in Southampton. The ladies toilets are cells! There is a section where you can sit in the old court room (it;s very grand) and watch a film/computer graphics about the trial of the owners of Titanic. I loved this.

There is also a section about the history of Southampton, including some prehistoric artifacts, and a section on 20th century immigration.

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“very nice and interesting”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

nice job of locating the city's museum of the sea at the old police station at the civic centre.

entry fees are good value. nice cafe and shop too.

the whole thing centres really on Titanic and i personally wish they could
do more to highlight all of the famous ocean liners and shipping companies in much more detail.

i did enjoy myself and i would recommend to others.
kids would enjoy some of the interactive themes.

Visited November 2012
Builth Wells, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fabulous Family Entertainment”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Great interactive museum, kept my 5,7 & 9 year olds active and interested for 3 hours. Excellent museum a must see!

Romsey, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My wife and I visited here recently and were really glad we did.

The museum play homage to the brief history of the Titanic. We were shocked to see the hundreds of names and photo's of local crew members that perished in the tragedy, along with all the poor passengers.

The only dissapointment for us was that, even though we were encouraged to visit during school term time, we still had classes of school kids running around shouting and screaming. If I had done that on my school trips I would have gotten the cane!!!!

Southampton, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A little boring for kids.”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Visited the Museum during half term. Very grand setting with lots of information and whoever planned the attraction was not considering children. On the day I visited the place was full of kids. My child was quickly bored as nearly all the displays were aimed at adults. The rest of the site which was the old courthouses were filled with material that was not particularly interesting.