“Good day out”
Review of SeaCity Museum

SeaCity Museum
Ranked #6 of 130 things to do in Southampton
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Our 10 yr old very reluctant to go to museum, but it grabbed his attention. We all enjoyed it very informative. Very hands on, we went on a day when it appeared quite quiet so plenty of time to do everything. Cafe good - scones fab!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was going to visit this new museum last october but didnt have time so was determined to go this year and i wasnt disappointed. Lots of old Titanic memorabilia and as another reviewer has mentioned it does focus on the crew from Southampton which is only natural in its port of launch.
I thought the court room mock up was fantastic, especially the audio visual aspect with the files being flicked through and withdrawn.
Quite a number of interactive displays will appeal to the younger (and older) visitors
£6 entry fee so not too expensive, also went into the temporary exhibition 'First Cut' for another £4, which was worth seeing too. Very clever use of paper to create art forms, old maps, bank notes, even pages in books used.
Overall would reccomend this attraction in Southampton for a visit for 1-2 hrs.
The city art gallery is attached (free admission) i didnt have time to do this but there is also the 'Gateway to the World' part of Sea City included with the ticket price which has Historic collections of Southampton as a port from the earliest settlers

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I have wanted to visit this museum for a while especially as it's local. I'm a bit if a Titanic addict so I was really looking forward to this. The museum was in a gorgeous setting in the old Southampton law courts and I liked that fact that the Titanic enquiry mock up is set in an old court room.
The museum was informative, interactive and interesting although it was more focused on the crew given that a large proportion were from Southampton. I was disappointed that there were no deck or grand staircase mock ups and I have seen other museums do a better job of portraying 'Titanic' type environments . Overall I still think its worth a visit if you've 2-3 hrs spare and it's not too pricey. I found the large map of Titanic from the side an interesting display (as it showed how it was divided up).

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were attracted to this by the exhibition of paper art entitled "The First Cut". The exhibition was contained in a main hall and spilled out over most of the rest of the building which also houses a permanent Titanic exhibition.

The whole collection is rather small and the entry fee of £10 seemed quite high. That being said, the exhibition was impressive containing works in cut paper from the very very small to vary large.

The Titanic exhibition is less impressive and it is difficult to understand why only part of the collection from the old Maritime Museum is on display. Perhaps the most poignant part of the displays, apart of course from the White Star Line deckchair, is the map on the floor of the addresses of the inhabitants of Southampton who perished in the disaster.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

For my husband's birthday he decided he would like to visit the Titanic Exhibition so we travelled by bus from our home in Gosport. As seniors we thought the entrance charge was very reasonable. Our first surprise was going upstairs to commence the tour.What an amazing old building.It used to be the Law Courts and has been very nicely restored.Even where they have installed lowered ceiling panels areas have been left exposed so you can get a further glimpse of the beautiful friezes.
The whole exhibition has been put together very tastefully and has used some clever "hands on " Technology.Quite emotional in places.I really enjoyed trying to steer the ship down Southampton waterway but don't think it might be my forte judging by the fact we hit a sandbank!!.Guess the kids would love it too!
The other half of the display is dedicated to early settlements in the area gradually bringing you up to date in Southampton and district.Again there are some hands on things for the kids (and bigger kids) to try. We spent about 2-3 hours looking around and really think you need this much time to see it all to it's best advantage.
Any negatives??? Yes! When we arrived we decided to have a quick snack and drinks.The cafe is clean and wasn't busy but it would appear that there were only two ladies behind the counter.Only one in front of house who was working on the cash desk with the customer in front of us.As soon as she had finished she just disappeared into the kitchen without any apology or explanation and we stood there for a good 5 minutes wondering if she would return.Eventually the other assistant appeared and took our order.One cream tea (two scones,jam and cream with a pot of tea and 1 latte...couldn't believe it took another 10 minutes before we were able to sit down and enjoy it. Couldn't work out what the hold up was but would recommend that they employ some more staff.It must be chaos at the weekend and at busier times.Would eat elsewhere in future.