“I'm going back again”
Review of SeaCity Museum

SeaCity Museum
Ranked #6 of 130 things to do in Southampton
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Slightly disappointed to see that the reviewer below is rating this fantastic museum on it's toilets...I took my grandparents, brother and boyfriend to see the Wild Planet photography exhibition yesterday that is a must while it is still on! Beautifully presented exhibition that you could spend hours in. As we were already there we decided to pop into the Titanic exhibition too which I was not originally interested in. However, simply put, it is one of the best put together exhibitions I have ever been to. It is interactive, but not in a childish way and really opened my eyes as to what the Titanic tragedy actually meant for the people of Southampton. They have really made the most of the space and retained the atmosphere of the Guildhall at the same time. I am looking forward to the WWI exhibition and will also be going back to see the permanent city life part as I saw a glimpse of a pretty amazing Saxon boat. The staff were all extremely friendly and the facilities were good.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

At £8.50 this is a very expensive place to visit. You would hope to get a special insight into the city or see something quite different to the ordinary museum for that price, but it is very disappointing.

The main reason for going to SeaCity is the Titanic exhibition, but this is very disappointing. The little snippets of crew members' stories that you get to see are quite minimal. There are very few actual artifacts from the ship. There's never a moment you feel you are on the ship - the atmosphere is totally "museum" rather than drawing you into the tragedy.

The only atmospheric part is the court room in which the inquiry is presented, but you have to watch the few bits of inquiry presented in a slide show rather than exhibits which would allow you to read the transcript yourself.

The Southampton history section on the same floor as the Titanic exhibition is the standard set of pots, and bits and pieces that you could see anywhere with the odd bit of archive film. We didn't bother with Wild Planet having been disappointed enough already.

The cafe was extremely expensive and had lousy coffee. The toilets downstairs were dirty and upstairs were out of order. A lot of the interactive displays didn't work properly.

I won't be going back and I won't be recommending any of my friends or family to visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I'm afraid this museum is not worth the admission price.its just converted court rooms and prison toilets.not impressed.sorry.

1  Thank steveblanks555555
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went to visit this museum last Friday 1-08-14. There were three different exhibits featured in the museum. Each one unique and interesting. What I really enjoyed viewing was the titanic exhibit. I have always been a great fan of the tragic story and had feverishly followed it after the movie was released while i was merely 12 years old.
What i liked the most about this exhibit was the way it was presented in form of a story.The way they had added different features for the visitors such as the courtroom where the case was discussed as to why the titanic sank, to walking through the past as members of the crew.
You need to experience it to believe it.
I will like to point out that I love going to museums to discover things from the past but this experience stands out from all others because it wasn't boring nor monotonous.Each part of the exhibit was designed like a chapter from a captivating book

1  Thank Parishay W
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We've been here twice. First time in January and today to see the new Wild Planet exhibition. It was really nice and impressive, though the display was quite common. The Titanic side was better organised, with more material to show and interactive areas. We really enjoy our time in the Museum, and we saw that the Pavillion (area dedicated to special exhibitions) is already full until summer 2015. Recommended but not exceptional

1  Thank Paulaprv