“What a shame”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We visited Narumon's 13/10/13 and didn't realise it had obtained a licence....no problem...until we asked for a wine list...they didn't have one. The chefs husband came in at that point so we asked him what wines were availabe and how much did they cost. He didn't know but said it was all on web page. He looked it up and told us there was a pinot grigio and a reisling, two wines that all of us really dislike. We asked why they didn't have chardonnay or sauvignon blanc but he said that he had been advised that reisling was best with Thai food. We asked was it possible to drink our own wine this time as we had had no idea that they had their licence and we couldn't drink the wine they sold. We were told no so we left and went next door for a curry. Such a shame as we were regular customers and enjoyed the food... we will not be going back as we enjoy nice wine and they don't sell it...I have left a good review previously but that was about the food.

1  Thank Audrey P

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Not happy with the food at all,,,,, the food came in plastics tubs which is fine but then covered in wet cling film... Not a good way to start. The food was also cold,,, not a good experience and extremely disappointing. I'm not a complainer but this had to be said!!!!

2  Thank Soton1984
Reviewed 30 September 2013

DELICIOUS YET AGAIN

have eaten thai food in many different locations over the years as it is my favourite and in my opinion this is the best i have had outside of thailand

lovely flavours, fresh ingredients and able to adapt /change dishes if required

they now have an alcohol licence also which is a bonus:)

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I ordered the Green Thai Chicken Curry, Masaman Beef Curry, Egg Fried Rice. To be honest I was disappointed. Only 4 pieces of chicken and the same for the beef. Hidden by loads of potato in the beef curry (a bit chewy) and loads of bamboo shoots for the chicken. I expected more as the size of the dishes were generous.The thai curry was a bit tasteless. I did receive a phone call though as beef was not an option for the Masaman Curry so the lady kindly checked with me beforehand, which was good to see! The egg fried rice was also a bit tasteless I'm afraid. This was my first experience and sad to say, I won't be returning. Felt a bit cheated!

Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We went to Narumon's for an evening meal yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed the superb food. We are regular visitors to Thailand, and feel that we had real, tasty Thai dishes, all freshly prepared to order.
There is a nice menu, with all the favourites we expected to see. We started with crispy duck spring rolls, not at all greasy as you find in some restaurants, and a dish of Som Tum, papaya salad to share. This was followed by Thai green chicken curry and rice for us both.
Although they do have a licence, currently you are able to take your own wine, paying a reasonable corkage fee. Shortly alcohol will be available when eating in..
A smaller menu is available from the food stall with seating that Mon runs in Southampton city centre precinct when the street market is there at the end of every week. Again, everything is freshly cooked to order, and she has a loyal clientele queuing for their lunches.