“Good Value”

Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Before cruising holidays, we needed to spend a night in Southampton, we chose this hotel. It has a secure carpark. When we were getting out next morning, there were lots of car parked outside in perimeter, and lots of people were walking. It seemed ther must be a stadium. Checking was fairly quick. Room usual standard, without air condition. Lighting is very soft, was difficult to do any work under it. Next morning standard continental breakfast. We were pleased over all.

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Very convenient for the motorway. A clean and modern hotel. the staff were efficient though I can't say that friendly. We ate in the hotel as we had an early start the following day. The food was OK but nothing to write home about.
No local pub you can walk to here. If you want to eat out you need to take the car or order a taxi. You can order in takeaways though.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We booked for a one night stay prior to going on a P&O Cruise. The hotel was easy to find and had plenty of parking spaces. We were made welcome on arrival by a friendly receptionist. Unfortunately the location of our room was not to our liking and the receptionist changed it with no fuss. The room was clean and very adequate although there was no air conditioning – this could be a problem in hot weather. There was however a fan in the room to be used in this eventuality. There is a limited evening menu and the buffet breakfast was good with a selection of hot & cold food. Checkout time was by 12 noon which is good as it takes about 30 minutes to get to the docks. We thought that the value for money was excellent.

1  Thank Bejay3011
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express just outside Southampton for one night recently after booking a two day ticket in to nearby Poultons Theme Park/Peppa Pig World. Booking the hotel was easy peasy, we did it directly through the attraction and it was all very straightforward and decent price. We arrived at the hotel after a tiring but fun day at the park. Check in was very busy due to there being a cricket game just finishing at a venue adjacent to the hotel. Despite the obvious noise and confusion in the reception area, the staff were very attentive and apologetic for the wait. We then got to our room which was a dedicated family room, (double with sofa bed) to find they had made the sofa bed up ready for us, nice touch and good start. Room was fine, pretty average for a Holiday Inn Express, it was a though a little cramped and I am glad we were there for only one night otherwise I think it would be a bit too tight as with the sofa bed down you couldnt really get to the window. However it certainly had what we needed and was clean. My main gripe with the bedroom was the comfort of the sofa bed, the springs were really pertruding out and made it very uncomfortable. Thankfully my child is only 2 and I was able to put the duvet down on top of the sheet and then fold it up for her to sleep inside otherwise I doubt she would have slept there. The toliet shower room was disappointing as it didnt have a bath and I had been looking forward to having a bath after the day off walking around the park and also for giving my little girl a bath too. The power shower was not particularly powerful and there was a shower curtain rather than a door which I disliked. Other than that though the room was spotless. We didnt eat our main meal in the hotel but we did have breakfast in the morning. It is here where I feel the hotel really let itself down. The entire breakfast system is confusing to say the least. You assume when you arrive just to take a seat anywhere as no one meets you, the layout and arrangment of where the cutlery, napkins etc is not intuitive to know. In fact I spent about 2 or 3 mins trying to find cutlery - I appreciate that when the hotel is not so busy this would not be an issue but when you have people queing in all directions it is difficult to find tucked away in a corner. The milk at the cereals showed so signs of saying which was full fat, or skimmed or any difference, the cereal bowls were also hot having just been cleaned. The choice of cereal was also a bit dry, there was no fruit other than some tinned peaches in a bowl. It was a shame really, as just little details or attention to detail would make such a difference with this hotel. I wouldnt be put off from staying here again but when going away for a night you like things just to be the way you expect or want and I felt ever so slightly disappointed, but again can't complain with what we paid for it and the overall cleanliness.

Room Tip: If any have baths and you want a bath ask for it.
1  Thank Wendy B
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I hate giving such a poor review and this is the first bad one I've ever given..... Stayed over the jubilee weekend for 1 night so it was quite busy!! Check in was fine, very polite and friendly staff. We had a room on the ground floor which was advertised as family. It was me, hubby, 13 year old son and 10 year old daughter - so the fact that it was a double bed and a double sofa bed was a problem in itself. Son ended up in the double with Hubby and I had to share the sofa bed with my daughter. I have never experienced anything so uncomfortable in my life - there is a HUGE ridge just before the pillow, so your shoulders are lower than the rest of your body. In the end, we slept the other way round-but it is just rock hard!! There is one pillow each and it is HOT!!!! I will say though that the room was very clean so that was a plus. Breakfast was a nightmare, we queued for 30 minutes and it was chaos - food was ok, although while waiting, lots of children (and adults) were touching plates and cups then putting them back AND touching food and just leaving it there..... Gross!!!! Even though the staff were pleasant enough, I will not be staying here again I'm afraid.

Room Tip: If bring a family with older children, get 2 rooms.
1  Thank Caz8steve
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review and please accept my apologies for the matters referred to in your email.

By way of information, our sofabeds are infact designed for one adult or two children which is why we do not enable the rooms to be occupied by 4 adults. We do offer lovely interconnecting rooms at very competitive pricing so as you suggest in your review, this is perhaps a better option for future stays

We do experience rather busy breakfast service during the summer months, particularly during bank holiday weekends such as the Jubilee bank holiday weekend when you and your family stayed with us. It is for this reason we recommend guests at time of check in and via notices, to please try and come down as early as possible to avoid the innevitable Sunday morning late breakfast rush, and we have even extended our breakfast service by an hour. Unfortunately as for people picking at the buffet - rather difficult to control but we will certainly try to do so.

We are most grateful for your positive comments about the friendly welcome and the cleanliness of the hotel

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 June 2012

We had a little problem finding the hotel as the Rosebowl wasnt very clearly signposted, but when we did, we were perfectly happy with what we found.

Check in was quick, although they werent particularly friendly. There were 3 of us staying and the room was perfectly adequate, although the sofa bed had a huge ridge just were your back would be if you were lying in the correct place, luckily our son is only 9 and slept halfway down the bed, so bear this in mind if you have older children. Our bed was comfortable and the shower great.

Breakfast was a bit of a free for all and I would have liked a second hot drink but was prepared to rejoin the queue. We have stayed at another express and it was easy to refill your cup and also there were 2 sets of breakfast so no queuing. It was adequate considering the price we had paid.

We would stay there if back in the area and couldnt get booked closer to West Quay

2  Thank craftycaz
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Clean and comfy room with all you need for a nights stay. Okay size for two people but a tight squeeze if you have to use the pull out bed. Good standard of breakfast included in the rate but the food at night not so impressive and pretty poor quality. Would stay again if needed to be in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business