“Sometimes predictability is good”

Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel, after two nights in a really bad hotel. I have to say that the predictability of this brand was so very welcome!

Check in was efficient, my room was as expected for this chain, with the all important factor of a good, functional shower. Bed was comfortable, although they had missed my preference for firm pillows. Surprised at the lack of air-con, but the window opened sufficiently. On a hotter night this might have been a problem.

The downsides were, as commented upon by others, the staff could be a lot more friendly. When I went to the bar to order dinner, the lass behind the bar demanded that I find a table and have a table number before she could contemplate taking my order. My bottled drink and glass were just plonked down on the bar. It is customary for a drink to be poured for a customer, I always thought. When my dinner did arrive, it did not appear that giving her a table number made any difference to the server, as he breezed past me, and had to ask me if it was mine, rather than seeing the table number. Oh well!

The chap at reception in the evening was also a bit abrupt when I asked about Internet access. Be warned that they operate a continuous access system, rather than 'log on and log off' as some hotels.

In complete contrast to the evening staff, the lass on Reception in the morning when I checked out was very pleasant and worked as quickly as possible, given that she was dealing with two customers on two different terminals. Why don't hotels, particularly one with so many apparent single business people, not realise that morning check-out needs more staff?

Overall, the predictability was the key thing here. I was expecting indifferent service from a large proportion of the staff, and that's what I received. I expected a good quality room, and that was also what I received.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Many thanks for choosing our hotel for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experiences.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the cleanliness and accomodation provided and that you had a positive check out experience .

I would like to clarify that we do offer some air conditioned accommodation at the hotel . All our rooms include 2 firm and 2 soft pillows on the bed and these are labelled accordingly.

We thank you very much for your constructive feedback on the other matters you kindly took the time to convey which have been discussed with the team in order to improve our standards further as we always strive to do.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

KInd regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed 11 September 2012

We booked this hotel for my Disabled Father for two nights. He usually stays at the IBIS in Southampton Town Centre, however we wanted to try something a little closer to home, to save on journey times, so thought we would try it out.

I arranged to view a disabled room a couple of weeks before we booked, so I knew it had what my father needed. The room looked great, Hotel looked lovely and clean and not a great walk to the disabled rooms too - which I found perfect. So we booked.

BIG MISTAKE

Upon arrival my father, being a chatty person, began to start chatting to the bar staff. They ignored him. He then tryed to chat with the front desk staff - they also ignored him, said they were "Too Busy to chat" even though there was only him in the reception area. I was very disapointed in this.

My Dad also had a very long walk to his room. Instead of it being on the 1st Floor next to the lift, like I had requested, it was on the ground floor, right round the other side of the hotel. My Father found it very hard to walk there without getting out of breath and there were no wheelchairs to hand.

All in all, Holiday Inn Express have missed a huge opertunity here. We were looking to change his regular hotel from the Ibis, which he uses at least 7 times a year. We wont be doing that. The staff are much more compitant at their Customer Service roles there. Such a shame.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LucyComiskey

Dear Guest

Many thanks for trying our hotel for your father's accommodation requirements .

I would like to apologise that the team did not engage in further friendly discussions with your father as I note he is rather 'chatty'. Our team do try wherever possible to chat with our valued guests, but as you will appreciate, they do have a role to undertake and it is not always possible to have lengthy discussions with guests as they have orders to put through, guests waiting for service at tables and other duties to undertake which your Father might not have been aware of at the time.

I am very pleased you found our rooms lovely and clean as we do pride ourselves in the highest standards of cleanliness. I would like to clarify that we have never had accessible rooms next to the lifts in our hotel as you appear to suggest. All our accessible rooms are in one specific section of the building on each floor and whllst this is only a short walk from the reception/ lifts as applicable on each floor, we do not have any accessible rooms directly next to the lifts. This has to date never been an issue although I note it was unfortunately an issue for your Father for which I apologise.

We hope you will consider our hotel for your Father's future visits to Southampton

Regards

Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Nothing really to say. Average hotel giving above average service. Clean and comfortable attentive staff and what you would expect for the money.

Access everywhere is easy. Motorways etc good car park and I would recommend to anyone who needs hotel in area

• Stayed: February 2012
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for choosing our hotel for your recent stay..

We very much appreciate your recognition of our service levels, cleanliness and our attentive staff .

We are also pleased you found our location to be ideal for easy access to the local area and the motorways and we are grateful for your recommendation to future travellers about selecting our hotel fo their visits to the Southampton area.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

The hotel is ok, room and breakfast are also ok, but the people that I found in the reception were not very kind. I Love Holiday Inn hotels, and it was not just one person, because I stayed 2 nights and the woman at reception and then a colleage of her were both quite unfriendly and distant. I donnot know if they were too busy but it's not the way you expect to be attended.
The woman also insited in charging some amount of money in my Visa although the room was fully paid for the 2 nights. She said it was for drinks at the bar, and even I said we were not going to spend money in the bar, she did charge it.
I have been the whole august in England and it has only happened in this hotel.

By the other hand it has a great free parking, altough it's not too handy for visiting Southampton

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PAQUITO-VIAJERO

Dear Guest

We appreciate your taking the time to provide constructive feedback following your recent stay at our hotel.

I am very pleased you found the accommodation, the hotel and the breakfast to your liking.

I would like to apologise if you felt that our reception staff were not as kind as expected. Your comments have been discussed with the reception team in order to ensure that we improve our standards as we appreciate that customer service is an integral aspect of the guest experience.

Once again thank you very much for choosing our hotel and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights, while taking a little mini family holiday to peppa pig land and Thorpe park... Room was very nice little small once sofa bed was out but manageable, breakfast was included and found this to be very good, had lots of choice. We stay in a lot of Express holiday inns for this reason. All in all a really good mini break and good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for choosing Holiday Inn Express Soton M27 Jct 7 for your recent mini break to Peppa pig world. We are most appreciate of your positive feedback and delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay and in particular your breakfast so much.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to explore the many more exciting local attractions in the near future

Reviewed 4 September 2012

not one of the best holiday inn express hotels. Venue is ok. Staff not very friendly. Room was small and would not recommend for families there just isn't enough room. These small express hotels shouldn't recommend that they can accomodate four.The breakfast was ok nothing special.I don't think i will be recommending this hotel and will steer clear of the express range in favour of premier inn.The internet acess is really poor. My son has his own dongle but couldn't get any reception so had to pay for pricey internet at hotel £10.50 for one device.The TV was intermitent at times.

Room Tip: Don't stay if there are more than two of you
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent family break.

I am surprised by your comment concerning the size of our family rooms, as we have families of 4 and sometimes even 5 staying in our family rooms on a daily basis throughout the summer months, in addition on to most weekends, and we normally receive positive feedback about our accommodation.

I apologise if you found the tv signal intermittent. We have recently installed brand new flat screen televisions in all our rooms and to date nobody has mentioned anything about an intermittent signal . It would be most appreciated in future if you could kindly convey these issues during your stay to enable the hotel to investigate rather than discover issues via tripadvisor some time after your departure.

The Holiday Inn Express brand prides itself in being a leader in quality family accommodation, Unlike Premier Inn hotels we also provide complimentary Hot Buffet Breakfast in all our hotels thereby offering excellent value to our guests.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

This is a holiday inn its is diffiuclt to find fault with, it made me look just to find something wrong, at which I failed.

All the facilities and services I look for are here, good parking , service, a clean room, peace and quiet at night and a good breakfast.

The reception staff went of their way to be helpful to an elderly couple who were booking at the time I arrived and showed local knowlege and attention to such as local traffice issues that might be met

Room Tip: Only stayed one night so difficukt to say, i was on front of hotel, no problems
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Dear Highly Valued Guest

We are most grateful to you for taking the time to convey your wonderful feedback on our hotel following your recent stay .

We thank you in particular for recognising our good facilities and service in particular our complimentary parking , high standards of service and cleanliness and most importantly a peaceful night's sleep and a good breakfast.

We are also very pleased to note that our reception staff went of their way to be helpful to an elderly couple and showed good local knowlege .

Once again many thanks for taking the time to share your positive review.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future