“Lied to by staff”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Lied to by staff”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

After reading reviews on here about the issues people have had with payment i was a bit worried about the "pre- auth" they wanted from me at check in. I had already paid for the room and did not need to pay any more. However. after explaining that i had not much money in the bank and needed it for my daughters birthday the next day the man on reception assured me the pre auth takes NO money from my account and i would still be able to access it. Even though i was still unsure, he refused to check me in unless i did one. All this at 9pm with a screaming, tired, poorly 2 year old at reception, after a 3 hour drive. He did not care at all. I gave in for my childs sake.

The next morning i went to take the cash out of my account and discovered they had taken the £50.00 that he had pre authed. To say i was upset was an understatement.. this money was for my daughter to use at peppa pig world.

I called them straight away and was spoken to quite rudely by a lady on the other end who fobbed me off to someone else. She REFUSED to help unless i contacted the bank... i had no details of my bank on me so she TOLD me to use the internet like im a walking wifi port.. She has told me that money will go in to my bank within 5 working days... its the weekend tomorrow and i have no money until payday so i have to wait a week for this!

Its disgusting and i advise all people to REFUSE a pre auth as i work for a hotel my self and i know they do not need it to check you in!! pre auths are for those that have not paid incase they checkout without paying.

Other than this, the room i was in smelt of CANNABIS as the people in the hall where smoking it and they were even talking about it quite loudly.. so it was without a doubt cannabis. Doors were slamming through the night, i was woken at least once an hour..and the breakfast was disgusting. It was cold, sloppy and very limited.

i have just found out there is a premier inn right by Peppa pig world and i shall be staying there next time.. i will avoid a holiday inn no matter how much more i have to pay. It was not worth the £70 i paid. and this was supposed to be discounted...

The room was dusty and the window sil had clearly not been cleaned.. to say it was a family room it was very small.
I have to say this is the worst review i have ever had to give and i hope they are proud of themselves..

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else perhaps?
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Louisa Y
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Louisa Y,

Thank you for taking time to post a review about your stay. I am sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information about your concern.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Thai first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Recommend -spent a night here before embarking on a cruise from port of Southampton.
Only 10-15 mins away. nice location -next to Rosebowl cricket ground.
Comfortable bed -breakfast lovely -good choice of food.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Brisbane
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Obviously been built to compete with TravelLodge and Premier Inn without the cheap rates. I paid 68 quid for night but that did include breakfast. As it is not close to shops decided to eat in. Smallest bottle of soda water I have ever seen for 2 quid and 5 greasy pieces of calamari with very small side salad for 6 quid. Car parking is free. Leisure centre next door 10 quid..but much for a quick swim.
Rooms ok, but bed really is just a double. Travel Lodges are all queens at least.no baths in any Express hotels..ahhh.nothing but soap provided in room.but you can ask for toothbrush etc downstairs, if you have forgotten yours. Clean white towels.heater in room 143 did not work. Half the hotel has air con..if it is summer make sure you ask for one with ac. Was originally put on other side of building with ac but there was an engine noise that kept coming on..would have been unable to sleep.

Room Tip: Face car park.top floor less noise. Avoid cricket game days..they play next door.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear RufusBrisbane,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your stay. I am delighted that you have a high rating on cleanliness and sleep quality. However, it sounds like we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel guest experience due to the conditions of your room, missing amenity and noise which has negatively impacted your stay with us.

The review we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Charisse V.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night prior to leaving Southampton on cruise. Good clean room with comfortable bed. Breakfast with good choice although very busy plenty to go round. Car park very full, but managed to find parking space. Would recommend and use again if in the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The only real problem is accessing this hotel - it felt like we'd gone round the roundabout twice before finding the way in!
Other than that, this was up to the usual HIE standard, with clean and neat rooms and a decent breakfast.
will probably stay again before our next cruise

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I stayed comfortably in the room. We ate well enough and the staff were pleasant.
My big gripe is the pre-authorisation system.
When we left, we paid our owed amount IN FULL.
Next day, husband saw they had taken, NOT that amount, but TWO separate amounts totally over £24 more than we had owed!!
Shame on them!
We spent over an hour talking with various people trying to get the money they pinched put back into our account. They finally agreed to do it..but ..
Oh...it will take them 5 days to give us back the money they never should have taken in the first place!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Radish285
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Radish285,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the extra amount that was charged to your card. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have stayed at this particular HIE on numerous occasions - which says it all, really: we're happy to keep giving them our business.

It's very well located for us, especially Hedge End, but also Fareham, Southampton and Portsmouth. The serve yourself, all-you-can-eat breakfasts are extremely popular with our children (11 & 8) and we have never been anything but happy with this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family