“Great one night stay”

Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Great one night stay”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is mostly a business hotel weekdays that then is inundated with casual demanding one-nighters at weekends which is a pretty hard mix to deal with but this hotel does it very well. The staff are friendly& helpful, especially Irene on Reception who sorted out an AC room for us because of my wife's medical condition, its clean and well looked after and the rooms are very comfortable and well "stocked up". Yes, it can be a bit busy & noisy in public areas sometimes but that's us the guests and what you should expect when staying for a budget one-night stay. It does what it says on the tin and in our experience as frequent one-nighters around the UK, better than the competition which is why we have stayed there before and will do again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Thai first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Arrived Sat afternoon at 1430, welcomed warmly and booked in promptly no queues just us. Room fit for purpose ( I am not interested how large the room is, I've no intention of staying in all day.) nice clean bedding, toilet and shower spotless, no hair shampoo but all over soap dispensers in bathroom, Tea, Coffee, kettle also in room. The hotel was very busy this weekend in point of fact full, but still had free secure parking spaces available. A good nights sleep and although full with parents and children a peaceful night, no noise at all. I did read a heads up on Tripadvisor that long queues can develop at breakfast, in fact a sign from the hotel tells you as much posted by the lift doors. From 8 to 10 is the busiest times so be forewarned, we decided to go down late around 10 15am, I know this is not possible if you are running to a schedule, but we weren't, no problems at all, just a few folks at breakfast. Food is plentiful, scrambled eggs, sausages, beans and some of the best tasting bacon I have had in ages. My wife is a vegetarian and she tucked into toast jam, cheese, cereals, tinned fruit and dainty delicious fresh pastries. Cannot fault this breakfast, one of the best we have had in a very long time on our frequent soirées. The breakfast staff were very good at clearing plates and replenishing the buffet regularly even at 1045 when the buffet closes at 11. The most uplifting and pleasantly surprising experience at this superb hotel was one of the staff (sorry didn't get name, Huge chap eastern European I think) we were told 5 minutes before 11 that the buffet was about to close, but still time to help yourselves at the buffet. He went around to each and every guest table. Nice part of the service and management need to congratulate staff on this very act alone. You will have to have a car to enjoy this hotel as the location is away from city centre, all in all a pleasant experience with Holiday Inn Express, we paid £76 on the official web site, considering Breakfast included this was much cheaper than the likes of Premier Inn who we stayed with last time ( Breaky not included) Oh, free Wi-Fi is available and worked fine. Recommend to one and all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here the night before sailing on a cruise. The hotel would have received 4* but we had room 2 on the ground floor, which is unfortunately just by the entrance so we had smokers and car exhaust right outside our window 2-3 feet away. There is no A/C so the window needs to be open for ventilation and as next to the entrance taxis were stopping and smokers congregated......

Otherwise the room was fine, comfortable bed and good breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor near reception.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear SuffolkCarol,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our property. I am pleased to know that you found your hotel room comfortable.

Please accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience the room allocation and unusual odor may have caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area again.

Best Regards,

John O
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

After reading reviews on here about the issues people have had with payment i was a bit worried about the "pre- auth" they wanted from me at check in. I had already paid for the room and did not need to pay any more. However. after explaining that i had not much money in the bank and needed it for my daughters birthday the next day the man on reception assured me the pre auth takes NO money from my account and i would still be able to access it. Even though i was still unsure, he refused to check me in unless i did one. All this at 9pm with a screaming, tired, poorly 2 year old at reception, after a 3 hour drive. He did not care at all. I gave in for my childs sake.

The next morning i went to take the cash out of my account and discovered they had taken the £50.00 that he had pre authed. To say i was upset was an understatement.. this money was for my daughter to use at peppa pig world.

I called them straight away and was spoken to quite rudely by a lady on the other end who fobbed me off to someone else. She REFUSED to help unless i contacted the bank... i had no details of my bank on me so she TOLD me to use the internet like im a walking wifi port.. She has told me that money will go in to my bank within 5 working days... its the weekend tomorrow and i have no money until payday so i have to wait a week for this!

Its disgusting and i advise all people to REFUSE a pre auth as i work for a hotel my self and i know they do not need it to check you in!! pre auths are for those that have not paid incase they checkout without paying.

Other than this, the room i was in smelt of CANNABIS as the people in the hall where smoking it and they were even talking about it quite loudly.. so it was without a doubt cannabis. Doors were slamming through the night, i was woken at least once an hour..and the breakfast was disgusting. It was cold, sloppy and very limited.

i have just found out there is a premier inn right by Peppa pig world and i shall be staying there next time.. i will avoid a holiday inn no matter how much more i have to pay. It was not worth the £70 i paid. and this was supposed to be discounted...

The room was dusty and the window sil had clearly not been cleaned.. to say it was a family room it was very small.
I have to say this is the worst review i have ever had to give and i hope they are proud of themselves..

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else perhaps?
1 Thank Louisa Y
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Louisa Y,

Thank you for taking time to post a review about your stay. I am sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information about your concern.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Recommend -spent a night here before embarking on a cruise from port of Southampton.
Only 10-15 mins away. nice location -next to Rosebowl cricket ground.
Comfortable bed -breakfast lovely -good choice of food.

Brisbane
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Obviously been built to compete with TravelLodge and Premier Inn without the cheap rates. I paid 68 quid for night but that did include breakfast. As it is not close to shops decided to eat in. Smallest bottle of soda water I have ever seen for 2 quid and 5 greasy pieces of calamari with very small side salad for 6 quid. Car parking is free. Leisure centre next door 10 quid..but much for a quick swim.
Rooms ok, but bed really is just a double. Travel Lodges are all queens at least.no baths in any Express hotels..ahhh.nothing but soap provided in room.but you can ask for toothbrush etc downstairs, if you have forgotten yours. Clean white towels.heater in room 143 did not work. Half the hotel has air con..if it is summer make sure you ask for one with ac. Was originally put on other side of building with ac but there was an engine noise that kept coming on..would have been unable to sleep.

Room Tip: Face car park.top floor less noise. Avoid cricket game days..they play next door.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear RufusBrisbane,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your stay. I am delighted that you have a high rating on cleanliness and sleep quality. However, it sounds like we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel guest experience due to the conditions of your room, missing amenity and noise which has negatively impacted your stay with us.

The review we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Charisse V.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night prior to leaving Southampton on cruise. Good clean room with comfortable bed. Breakfast with good choice although very busy plenty to go round. Car park very full, but managed to find parking space. Would recommend and use again if in the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple