“Very friendly and helpful staff.”

Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed one night 24th May
we were allowed to check in 45 minutes early excellent start
check in staff very friendly and checked in very quickly.
Could not fault our room very clean and the bed so comfy had excellent nights sleep.
Breakfast was very good, continental and cooked, scrambled egg- bacon-sausage-beans-toast
and a descent cup of coffee no faults from us.

The only thing was the hotel was full due to the Barry Manilow concert which we attended
we went down to the bar 14:00 hrs for a drink and something to eat had a drink but the restaurant did not open until 18:00 and closed at 22:00 the concert opened at 17:00 and finished at 22:30.
As we were not the only ones looking for something to eat in the hotel before the concert thought the hotel might have looked a head as they knew they were full and opened the restaurant early to capitalize on the people who went to to concert at 17:00 hrs.
This is not to be taken as a negative remark, you have a excellent team in the hotel and we had a excellent stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed at the hotel with my partner on Saturday 17th May. This is the first time we have stayed at a Holiday Inn, but it most certainly will not be the last time. Hotel reception staff were great. We got to chose the floor we stayed on as we arrived relatively early on Saturday afternoon. The rooms were immaculate and plenty of space for one nights stay. Tea/coffee was provided in the room as was hand soap and tissues in the bathroom. The bar area/lounge was certainly a plus for us as we enjoyed a drink both before and after our evening out. The hotel included complimentary breakfast, which was fantastic and has everything on offer, from continental to full English and all the accompaniments such as cereal, cheeses and juices. We were advised to avoid the breakfast area between 8-10am, but this suited us. The hotel location was perfect for us. All staff from cleaners, receptionists, waiters to managers were very professional and ensured guests had an enjoyable stay. We are already planning our next weekend back to the hotel in June. Thank you.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is mostly a business hotel weekdays that then is inundated with casual demanding one-nighters at weekends which is a pretty hard mix to deal with but this hotel does it very well. The staff are friendly& helpful, especially Irene on Reception who sorted out an AC room for us because of my wife's medical condition, its clean and well looked after and the rooms are very comfortable and well "stocked up". Yes, it can be a bit busy & noisy in public areas sometimes but that's us the guests and what you should expect when staying for a budget one-night stay. It does what it says on the tin and in our experience as frequent one-nighters around the UK, better than the competition which is why we have stayed there before and will do again.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Arrived Sat afternoon at 1430, welcomed warmly and booked in promptly no queues just us. Room fit for purpose ( I am not interested how large the room is, I've no intention of staying in all day.) nice clean bedding, toilet and shower spotless, no hair shampoo but all over soap dispensers in bathroom, Tea, Coffee, kettle also in room. The hotel was very busy this weekend in point of fact full, but still had free secure parking spaces available. A good nights sleep and although full with parents and children a peaceful night, no noise at all. I did read a heads up on Tripadvisor that long queues can develop at breakfast, in fact a sign from the hotel tells you as much posted by the lift doors. From 8 to 10 is the busiest times so be forewarned, we decided to go down late around 10 15am, I know this is not possible if you are running to a schedule, but we weren't, no problems at all, just a few folks at breakfast. Food is plentiful, scrambled eggs, sausages, beans and some of the best tasting bacon I have had in ages. My wife is a vegetarian and she tucked into toast jam, cheese, cereals, tinned fruit and dainty delicious fresh pastries. Cannot fault this breakfast, one of the best we have had in a very long time on our frequent soirées. The breakfast staff were very good at clearing plates and replenishing the buffet regularly even at 1045 when the buffet closes at 11. The most uplifting and pleasantly surprising experience at this superb hotel was one of the staff (sorry didn't get name, Huge chap eastern European I think) we were told 5 minutes before 11 that the buffet was about to close, but still time to help yourselves at the buffet. He went around to each and every guest table. Nice part of the service and management need to congratulate staff on this very act alone. You will have to have a car to enjoy this hotel as the location is away from city centre, all in all a pleasant experience with Holiday Inn Express, we paid £76 on the official web site, considering Breakfast included this was much cheaper than the likes of Premier Inn who we stayed with last time ( Breaky not included) Oh, free Wi-Fi is available and worked fine. Recommend to one and all.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here the night before sailing on a cruise. The hotel would have received 4* but we had room 2 on the ground floor, which is unfortunately just by the entrance so we had smokers and car exhaust right outside our window 2-3 feet away. There is no A/C so the window needs to be open for ventilation and as next to the entrance taxis were stopping and smokers congregated......

Otherwise the room was fine, comfortable bed and good breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor near reception.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear SuffolkCarol,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our property. I am pleased to know that you found your hotel room comfortable.

Please accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience the room allocation and unusual odor may have caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area again.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 16 May 2014

After reading reviews on here about the issues people have had with payment i was a bit worried about the "pre- auth" they wanted from me at check in. I had already paid for the room and did not need to pay any more. However. after explaining that i had not much money in the bank and needed it for my daughters birthday the next day the man on reception assured me the pre auth takes NO money from my account and i would still be able to access it. Even though i was still unsure, he refused to check me in unless i did one. All this at 9pm with a screaming, tired, poorly 2 year old at reception, after a 3 hour drive. He did not care at all. I gave in for my childs sake.

The next morning i went to take the cash out of my account and discovered they had taken the £50.00 that he had pre authed. To say i was upset was an understatement.. this money was for my daughter to use at peppa pig world.

I called them straight away and was spoken to quite rudely by a lady on the other end who fobbed me off to someone else. She REFUSED to help unless i contacted the bank... i had no details of my bank on me so she TOLD me to use the internet like im a walking wifi port.. She has told me that money will go in to my bank within 5 working days... its the weekend tomorrow and i have no money until payday so i have to wait a week for this!

Its disgusting and i advise all people to REFUSE a pre auth as i work for a hotel my self and i know they do not need it to check you in!! pre auths are for those that have not paid incase they checkout without paying.

Other than this, the room i was in smelt of CANNABIS as the people in the hall where smoking it and they were even talking about it quite loudly.. so it was without a doubt cannabis. Doors were slamming through the night, i was woken at least once an hour..and the breakfast was disgusting. It was cold, sloppy and very limited.

i have just found out there is a premier inn right by Peppa pig world and i shall be staying there next time.. i will avoid a holiday inn no matter how much more i have to pay. It was not worth the £70 i paid. and this was supposed to be discounted...

The room was dusty and the window sil had clearly not been cleaned.. to say it was a family room it was very small.
I have to say this is the worst review i have ever had to give and i hope they are proud of themselves..

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else perhaps?
1  Thank Louisa Y
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Louisa Y,

Thank you for taking time to post a review about your stay. I am sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information about your concern.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Recommend -spent a night here before embarking on a cruise from port of Southampton.
Only 10-15 mins away. nice location -next to Rosebowl cricket ground.
Comfortable bed -breakfast lovely -good choice of food.