“One night stay”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Manchester, United Kingdom
“One night stay”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed in this hotel for one night 22nd May 2014, never stayed at Holiday Inn before normally use Premier but this is the one for me in future. Was going on a cruise from Southampton so the location of this hotel was ideal...about 20 minutes drive to the port. A very warm and friendly welcome and efficient check in, a good sized room excellent bathroom and shower and a good nights sleep. We had dinner in the restaurant at a reasonable price.. basic but OK, breakfast is included in the price and is buffet (help yourself) with a small but decent choice. Check out as check in was quick and very efficient they even printed a direction to the port for me. "VERDICT" its a pass from me.

Room Tip: If carrying heavy suitcases try the first floor..its not to far to drag them
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Thai first
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have stayed at many hotels and you can see from my previous reviews I always try to be fair about what I say, but I am sorry to say that this hotels customer service is one of the worst that I have experienced.
When I check into this hotel they insisted that they pre-authorize my bank card with the cost of my stay plus £50 for extras , total £125.00 which as been blocked on my account. Its now 22 days since my stay and this amount is still being blocked on my bank account!
I have telephone the hotel and emailed the hotel about this and they were very unhelpful, they say its my banks fault but my bank have told me that they have not yet received any request from the hotel for the payment for my stay, and that the hotel have to request payment from them to unblock the pre-authorized amount.
I have never had this problem with any of the hotels that I have stayed with before, and I do not intend to stay at this hotel again or recommend it to anyone.

3 Thank Brian K
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience arising from the £ 50 pre authorisation taken against your credit card at time of check in.

IHG along with many other hotel chains utilize credit/ debit card authorizations as a standard procedure for guarantee purposes. The amount authorized upon arrival is the total room charge plus ?50.00 for any incidentals.

Alternatively we are happy to accept a £50.00 cash deposit which is returned upon departure.

By way of information kindly note that the only way a pre authorisation can be released is by your own bank and in our experience this normally takes 3-5 days for them to do so. I can confirm that the hotel did send a fax request to the bank informing them that the pre authorisation could be cancelled as soon as you requested this, but once this has been done the timing of the release is entirely governed by your own bank.

Once again thank you very much for choosing our hotel. I hope to have the
pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

KInd regards
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed Saturday 24th May as we were going to the Barry Manilow concert at the Ageas Bowl which is 5 minutes away. Perfect location as after the show we just walked over the road and straight in the hotel. Check inn was smooth, the room clean albeit a bit basic - only a shower in the bathroom. Breakfast was a help yourself buffet - not a great choice of hot food but enough - scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and baked beans. Check out was quick. Overall if you are going to the Ageas Bowl it's a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We requested a smoking room and were allocated one.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
uk
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here on 22nd May for one night to attend a Barry Manilow concert among thousands of other fans . The hotel was very busy but the excellent staff coped so well the rooms were of good size and very clean Breakfast was full English included in the room rate. If we were in this area again we would definitely chose this hotel

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed there during Easter bank holiday weekend. Used booking .com got great rates for 3 rooms. Close proximity to Paultons Park as going there the next morning. Very clean. Friendly staff. Comfortable bed. Nice bathroom. Breakfast was good. Usual fry up things along with cereals muffins & yogurts coffees tea & juices. Dinner there was quite costly so keep that in mind.

• Stayed April 2014
Plymouth
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel while in the area on business, it was comfortable and quiet and had all the facilities I needed, the staff were friendly too. I would recommend this as it was also close to the airport

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here out of school holidays for Peppa Pig World so was relatively quiet which is nice. Hotel is in the middle of an industrial/shopping estate but just off M27 so easy enough to get too. Arrived around 4ish and had a 15 minute wait to check in, hotel seemed clean enough and staff fairly friendly so all good.

We had the sofa bed prepared which was nice but does make the room very small when you have 2 toddlers in with you, wouldn't have wanted to stay longer than 1 night, that said it was clean, safe and warm so cant complain.

Food seemed expensive to us, we enjoyed but children didn't eat anything offered, if required there were many fast food options a short drive away, possibly better option if your children are young... and fussy!!

One thing that lets it down in my opinion, considering its featured on the Paultons Park website it is not very child friendly and more of a business hotel. Other hotels we have stayed at have included little packs for the children relative to the park being visited, just a small touch but they do count.

All in all it was OK, but as a hotel to stay at Peppa Pig world I would probably choose another closer by.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear GaryBrett,

Thank you for your recent stay and for writing us a candid review. Thank you for the kind words of praise for our friendly staff. On the other hand, it seems you were not 100% satisfied with your recent stay. The concerns you have raised regarding some amenities have been taken note of. We will certainly look on these points to focus on improving guest satisfaction.

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to serving you again when you return to Southampton.

Kind Regards,