“Such a great atmosphere!”
Review of Blue Island

Blue Island
Ranked #8 of 866 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Traditional English and Greek food. Breakfast, lunch, Thursday Friday and Saturday nights from 18:00 till 22:00 traditional Greek food (mezedes)
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Such a great atmosphere!”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The owner kept the restaurant open just for us (group of 8) as when I booked the table for 8pm on a wednesday was not aware that they closed at 7pm. We received a very warm welcome and they recommended we had the Mezze. They kept bringing us tapas style food all night, with so many options. Price was very good for both foods and drinks. Would definitely recommend and we're going back with some friends next month.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mazza M

• Greek first
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Nice”
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I went to that restaurant on the 5th of october. The food was amazing well presented and served with a smile :) I recommend moussaka, the portion is quite big be aware but very delicious :) the prices are reasonable ... Greek music is relaxing :)

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff, good food but maybe no amazing if you're actually Greek...”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Went here a few Friday's ago after seeing it on trip advisor, was pleasantly surprised that a Greek restaurant was number 3 for places to eat in Southampton. We booked ahead for a table of 4. Glad we did as we saw many couples get turned away on the door due to no space, the place seemed very busy and popular.

We chose the meze for 4 people, wow SO much food. Think it was far too much for 4 people, it’s a shame so much of it went to waste. We were staying in a hotel so unfortunately could not take it back with us.

At £17 a head the place is decently priced for the amount you get, but they need to have much smaller portions. When it came time for the meat, they gave us 4 pork souvlaki and 4 chicken souvlakia –far too much!! After a massive meze of about 18 different portions there is no way each person can eat 2 kebabs each. This is probably the nice owners being Greeks, they love to feed people. Then the lamb kleftiko arrived, again 4 massive bits in tinfoil. All the meat tasted really lovely and was probably the best part of the meze, the kleftiko was amazing and cooked so well, but again far too much and SUCH a shame it had to go in the bin. Was a bit let down with the Calamari, I am sure it was frozen (the rings were massive) which is my pet hate. The only think we didn’t like was these meatballs on rice in a red sauce, never eaten them before and had no idea what they were. Greek people rarely eat rice…

The food is good, but as a Greek I am used to my Grandma’s amazing home cooking and village style food. The food is good for a Greek restaurant, I have been to many that serves dishes I’ve never even heard of. I will visit again for sure but will probably get an individual dish rather than the meze. Coming from London where there are many authentic small family run Greek restaurants like this, I rate the food well but would have liked to see more real Greek food on the menu like Afelia. After all, Greek food is not just a kebab and chips.

I am unsure about this whole debate going on here of whether the dips are home-made or not. I think the houmous is home-made as it was very garlicky, however all of the dips arrived with a skin on them so had obviously been sitting in a fridge and bought straight out. This was a bit off-putting. The pitta bread was from a supermarket, not the real big pitta breads that you get in Greek shops.

Overall very nice and would recommend, but need smaller meze portions. If you choose the meze make sure you don't have lunch.

1 Thank ElleP283
“Family fare with generous portions”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I am a repeat visitor and have recommended it to many friends. Great food with good personal service. My firm fav is the moussaka!

Southampton
“Good average, but average all the same”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Having recently returned from a holiday in Thessaloniki we wanted to recapture a little of that holiday spirit by finding a Greek restaurant in Southampton. I was pleasantly surprised when I found that Blue Island was the 3rd rated restaurant in Southampton, definitely worth a try I thought. We booked a table on Friday night and arrived to a busy little restaurant. Lovely atmosphere, decor is plain but that really doesn't bother me and the staff were great. We were feeling greedy so ordered the Meze and maybe this was our mistake. The first few dishes were pitta bread and dips ; I suspect that the humous, tzatziki and taramasalata weren't homemade but hey they were tasty and just the first of many dishes. These were followed by stuffed vine leaves, meatballs, mushrooms in a red wine sauce, a Greek salad, halloumi, calamari and a couple of slices off smoked ham. I really wanted this food to be great but it wasn't I'm afraid, certainly not bad but just average. The mushrooms were lovely but the meatballs tasted like they were from a tin. We were getting really full now, which was a shame as there was still chicken souvlaki, pork souvlaki and an oven roasted lamb dish (kleftiko). These were definitely tastier but we ended up taking a lot of them home as we were so stuffed. So, the moral of this review is if you're going to have the meze don't fill up on the not so great dishes and wait for the meat dishes at the end. I wouldn't rule out going back to Blue Island but I will not have the meze again but will go for a main course from the normal menu.

2 Thank KateM76