“Beautiful restaurant with amazing taste”
Review of Kohinoor of Kerala

Kohinoor of Kerala
Ranked #5 of 890 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I rarely now get the chance to visit Southampton, but when I do I always make sure to have a meal at Kohinoor. The meals are just full of flavours. I have tried quite a variety there as a regular visitor and each time has just been an experience. I have been to a few other indian restaurants in Southampton and in Birmingham, but none have even come near to the taste that you'd experience at Kohinoor of Kerala.
On my last visit I had Lamb Ulathiya Masala (as pictured) and I made sure that I did not leave any on my plate.
This is a great place to take anyone if you wish to impress them and not feel out of pocket.

One of the best things about this place is that everything is made fresh, so if you visit more than once (which I am sure you will once you have been) and order the same meal, it will not taste the same as the previous time. I have experienced this a few times and it's never a bad thing as it's wonderful to have the time and expertise of a chef from Kerala make these meals from scratch each time. This is even down to the little parts of your meals such as the Mango dip (which I absolutely love).

I just really wish that they could move the restaurant to Birmingham so I could have my weekly indian again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,450)

Reviewed 28 October 2012

I have never reviewed any restaurant in the U.K before but this is the first time when I felt that a restaurant actually deserves praise.I arrived here on Friday along with a friend just by chance but I am glad I did so.Every curry and dish was so unique unlike other curry houses in the U.K where the same sauce is used for every dish.I thoroughly enjoyed this place and it is a must visit for every person visiting Southampton.I am definitely coming back here.

1  Thank Albert J
Reviewed 27 October 2012

What a great place. Food was some of the best Indian food I've had outside India. Really fresh and even the mild dishes were full of flavour. The service was friendly and attentive. We all said we'd return very soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Me and 2 friends had dinner here. After a bit of a wait for our order to be taken, we ordered mains, a few sides, and some naan bread, with a couple of poppadoms each to start. The waiter warned us that there might be a bit a wait for the poppadoms as they'd just run out so they'd have to cook some more. We said that was fine (how long can it take to fry 6 poppadoms?). It turns out it can take about half an hour. After our poppadoms, it took at least that long again for our mains to arrive. While we were there, a waitress managed to drop someone's pint on their table (into a bowl of poppadoms), jostle one of the waiters so he dropped something, jostle a customer, and drop 2 things behind the bar.

All this said, when we eventually got our food, it was some of the best curry I've tasted. We each had a different dish, avoiding the usual suspects of masala/madras/jalfrezi etc. Each dish had a distinctive flavour and was delicious, as were the sides (we had tadka daal, saag aloo and mushroom bahji). It ended up costing about £25 per head, but that's partly because we had a lot to drink as we were waiting for so long. I'll definitely be going back, but probably when its less busy.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

A beautifully decorated restaurant, lovely atmosphere, really friendly staff, a great choice of food from the Kerala region of India. Our meal was unfaultable. The plates had the Kutis logo on them so a sister restuarant to there maybe, no wonder its so good. Highly recommend :)

1  Thank Hestie-booble