“Great pub!”

Dining options: Reservations
Hamble, England
“Great pub!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Always love coming here. We were made to feel welcome from our first visit. Great atmosphere, lovely food and fantastic staff. Sunday roasts are not to be missed! Fantastic village pub! You will never see a better formica bar top!

teetopmetz1, Owner at The Cottage Inn, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks for your review, glad your liking our Pub. And hey......Great shout for the formica bar top. There aren't many of our quality around, it came off a cruise liner in 1977 and has many years of beery service. Long may she hold herself together.....Chin Chin.

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Gotta try”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I haven't been to the pub (not restaurant) but I am definitely putting it on my GoTo list as I simply loved the review responses from the proprietor. This is the sort of place I like to go to. I only live in Sholing, so it's not a long journey. I look forward to home-cooked steak and ale pie and gently sarcastic humour from Andi

• Visited July 2014
teetopmetz1, Owner at The Cottage Inn, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review, I look forward to you frequenting our humble pub! Please feel free to introduce yourself, I look forward to being rude to you just as Basil was in Fawlty Towers. Our steak pie is actually made from Siberian Hamster, however it does taste fantastic, see you soon Andy
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lucky to live so near!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is a great PUB!
Excellent beers & excellent home cooked food.
Andy & staff always welcoming & the locals don't frighten you off.
Think some of the recent reviews are very unfair, this is a well run traditional country pub with bags of atmosphere.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Dale P
teetopmetz1, Owner at The Cottage Inn, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thanks for your review, someone who realises it is a proper country pub, good man.
Ferndown, United Kingdom
“Is someone having a laugh ...”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We needed to find a meal in this area so looked at reviews and found glowing reports on this - do their staff or rellies submit them? This is just a pretentious pub on a main road. The bar was virtually empty and the staff appeared surprised to see us. There were two blackboard items and a printed menu. We were told there was just one serving left of the blackboard items - as this was 12.30pm they either had an early rush or maybe they were the day before leftovers. We ordered baguettes and bearing in mind we were the only customers ordering or waiting for food, it took a long time for them to be produced.

• Visited May 2014
7 Thank Janomatthews
teetopmetz1, Owner at The Cottage Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Fantastic review, Is someone having a laugh?? I guess it's probably you. Lets go through your review. You mention the 'glowing reviews' we have had in the past, these are written by previous customers who have taken time to write them, there are no staff reviews on there, and as both myself and my wife have no parents or relatives to blackmail into writing one I won't spend the time belittling someone who has taken the time to do one.

A pretentious pub on a main road? You probably need a satnav to find us, a main road, it's a small village with just one road, there's even some locals don't know about the road. Pretentious? we have a 1970's formica bartop, how can that be pretentious?

Two blackboard items and a printed menu? what's wrong with a printed menu and a specials board. Don't they have them in Charlie Chalks or Weatherspoons??

And on to the baguettes as you didn't want any of the homemade food you opted for the freshly baked to order baguette, it took a little time as it's a freshly baked to order baguette. Maybe if you had wanted fast food you should have gone to Burger King.

Anyhow, keep up the great reviewing, it had me laugh!!
Poole, United Kingdom
“Just a Pub”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but we are still chuckling.

We visited Royal Victoria Park and Netley Abbey on 10th April and looked for somewhere to eat nearby. We were pleasantly surprised to read the glowing reviews of such a restaurant as "The Cottage Inn".
The outward appearance on arrival was obviously the picture shown but that was carefully cropped, we found in actuality - a pub.
Never daunted (well we needed to eat) in we went.
Nice enough barmaid, a regular at the bar moaning about his 'benefits', and a fairly normal just about OK pub meal ordered.
Fine, it was appropriate for the price, but restaurant? No, I don't think so. Its just a pub.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank KeithPoole
teetopmetz1, Owner at The Cottage Inn, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
I seem to be in danger of repeating my replies. We are indeed a pub, we have never pretended to be anything else, I don't ask locals to write reviews and no one has pretended to be a restaurant. Our website states clearly we are a pub, in fact you can view our menu and prices on there. So you were disappointed with your visit, I was also disappointed with my first wife, however gave it a second go and quite enjoyed it. The local bemoaning his benefits (makes us sound like a rough pub or do you live in Sandbanks) was probably one of the lads from the 'special home' up the road, or just someone driving through and having a drink, I really can't stop people talking or moaning, that's what a pubs all about. Sorry the food was just OK, a little surprised, however are you saying this because you thought we were a restaurant. Anyhow, thanks for the review..