“Hair in onion salad”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Hair in onion salad”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We bought a Groupon voucher for a meal at Dhaka without realising that it was in a not very nice part of town. When we arrived (having booked a table) we were the only people in the restaurant. It was 8pm on a Friday so this was quite surprising. We did note however that the restaurant opens until 3am, obviously for the local students after a night out drinking!

Unfortunately the poppadoms tasted like very old cooking oil, the mango chutney seemed watered down and the worst part was finding a short black hair in my onion salad.

I had a vegetarian main course which did have a nice flavour but after finding a hair in my starter I ate very little. My partner had a meat madras which had very little meat in it.

The interior of the restaurant is poor with cheap false satin tablecloths and holes in the ceiling. It is dark and there was incense burning which you would not expect in a restaurant. The toilets were clean and tidy.

The person who served us (perhaps the owner) was very polite and friendly and I can't help but feel sorry for him but I wouldn't want anyone else to make the mistake of going there on a Groupon voucher again.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank kirstyandmatt20

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Simply awful”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I decided to try this restaurant because I had a Groupon voucher.
It's located in a very dangerous area of town (you don't need to take my word of it, just enquire for St Marys area in Southampton), also parking is a struggle. If the floor at the entrance gets wet (which it does if you come in with wet shoes or umbrellas), you risk breaking your neck (the manager himself slipped before my eyes!). If you survive that, you may risk tripping over a little heater that's used to warm up the place.The interior of the restaurant is awful, it's small, there's an overwhelming smell of cooking coming from the kitchen, it's dark, and with cheap upholstery. The ceiling is too low and has the bonus of a hole in it, from which it was possible to admire nude wires and tubing. The seating arrangement reminds that of a cheap eaterie. The staff barely greeted or smiled at us, the waiter was literally running up and down the corridor pushing his little cart with the food, causing a really annoying noise every time he was bringing food.

The food itself was ranging between tasteless, or too salty. Many takeaway and curry houses can cook much nicer food than that, whereas these people call themselves a restaurant! Even a jar of indian sauce from the supermarket offers a much more balanced taste than this restaurant does.

In summary, do yourself a favour, do not visit this restaurant! For the same price you could be having a much better experience anywhere else in town!

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank doc864
“Freshest food I've tasted for a decade”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I went to the Dhaka after recommendation from a colleague at my bank. I will remember the house special for a while. Will be visiting here again very shortly.
Service, food, quality, quantity all A*

3 Thank Mange11
England, United Kingdom
“Won't be visiting again”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Went here on a Groupon offer with three other friends on Thursday 6th December.
The first problem we had to overcome was the parking which thankfully was found eventually in a side street a little way up off the main road.
When we entered the restaurant I nearly tripped over a small electric heater! We were shown to a table at the far end of the restaurant close to the kitchen (and the loos). Only one other table/booth was occupied when we entered and only one other couple came in during the evening. The whole restaurant was freezing cold and we were reluctant to take our coats off - certainly the tiny electric heater would not have been enough to warm the place if it had been on!
We knew there were menu restrictions because of the voucher deal but on inspecting the menu it became clear that the overall menu was pretty limited anyway. We ordered poppadoms and dips each and then 4 seperate mains to share as well as rice and a couple of side dishes and a couple of peshwari naan breads. When the food came, and believe me we had to wait an extreemly long time, although it was probably hot when it left the kitchen it was barely warm when it hit our plates! The meat with sauce dishes only had about 3 small pieces of meat in each - but ample sauce! The pilau rice had nuts in but as far as I noticed this was not noted on the menu or advised by the waiter. Flavour wise the food was OK but nothing more than that.
One of the group wanted a glass of cider with the meal but the waiter did point out that he wasn't serving it because it was off!

A little off putting to be able to see into the kitchen and notice that the 'chef' was wearing normal outdoor clothing i.e trousers and jumper whilst cooking food. He seemed to be eating at the same time too!
The overall appearance of the restaurant was one of neglect. It wasn't noticably dirty, just tired in its decor and presentation.

Price wise, it was cheap @ £8 per head (including the voucher) but it was only just bordering on value for money, especially considering we had also had a 30 minute drive to get there.

Would I go there again. No (Not even with a discout voucher)
Would I recommend it to anyone else. No

• Visited December 2012
5 Thank boringFS
Southampton, United Kingdom
“excellent food excellent service”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I went here last night with 3 friends as had done a groupon deal which we had no problem at all booking we even changed the date after intially booking it,We were a bit worried after reading some reviews and the area it was in, we so shouldn't have been the restaurant was lovely and clean and the guy running it so helpful and friendly, i am really fussy about how spicy my curry is and he tailored all our curries to our needs, the food was without a doubt the best curry we had all eaten, plenty of it and will def be using again!

• Visited November 2012