“Brilliant experience!”
Review of Saber Powersports

Saber Powersports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Saber Powersports offers a unique experience where you drive genuine offshore powerboats.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Honda Powerboat Taster. Purchased the experience for my friends birthday and I went along for the ride! A beautiful day, sun shining, blue skies. Shared the boat with two other gentlemen who had also purchased it for their birthdays. Very well organised, friendly staff who fitted us out in waterproof jackets and life jackets. We were taken out on the Solent and then everyone was given the chance to drive the boat with guidance from the driver. An exhilarating experience!
Would definately recommend it!

Reviewed 22 September 2013

This is my second stab at the Honda raceboat, followed by the Suzuki Hypercat. This trip was overshadowed by my first only because it had a been a gloriously sunny day the first time.

At the quay waterproof kit is available, lifejackets compulsory and the a safety briefing precedes departure. the boats contain four guests and the skipper. the trip to open water is fairly lengthy and maintained at harbour speed limits.

Once at sea the tap is opened and you are encouraged to give the boat some welly. The throttle is operated by the skipper but they're not, in my opinion, ungenerous with the gas. The Honda does require some spinal resilience as it crashes off crests but it's better when you're driving because you can see it coming and your seat provides excellent protection. Everyone gets a good stint as driver before heading back.

If you think that the Honda is as good as it gets then the Hypercat will blow you away. It's got a 300hp outboard on a twin hull and will fly at in excess of 60 mph which is pretty fast for a boat that can be driven by novices. It corners like it's on rails and you can feel your face slide sideways across your skull. Because of the hull shape you get a bit less crashing off crests but it's no less fun for that.

Do take a splashproof camera and some sort of eye protection because a 60mph wind will make it a little difficult to see! You might want to consider a change of clothing on something to protect your car seat for the journey home. My butt was still wet after a two hour journey.

The pricing is quite variable and there are offers to be found if you shop around. In my experience the management are helpful but if it's your error then a bit of politeness will go a long way. My soon to expire voucher was extended by Jacqui without any issues.

If you have cobwebs I can't think of a better way to dispel them.

1  Thank Mettraveller
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Pete took just three of us out on a Thunderbolt Experience 2 days ago. The trip was a Christmas present for my husband and myself and as it was our Grandsons birthday on the day we had booked, we treated him to the experience.
All three of us loved it, we felt relatively safe with Pete. Racing along the Southampton water at about 40mph was very exhilarating. It was so good, I plan to treat my son and 2 son in laws to a similar experience for their Christmas present this year. The staff we met were very friendly.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

A great experience - purchased by my friends i think it was a groupon deal. Ebony a safe and competent driver knows how to handle a boat churned up the water like a knife through butter really blew the cobwebs away and a great start to the weekend. Also worth noting some nice interesting bars / restaurants at the quay but sadly we had to leave straight after for another appointment. Very Enjoyable would definitely go again.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

An excellent experience, Around 15 minutes driving time, Chris was really good, getting us to chase all the ferries so we could take off over their wash. Would thoroughly recommend, just make sure you search around all the deal sites, as we all 4 participants paid different prices, (fortunately we had the best deal). But once you have been once, you can book from then on direct at best discount.