“Good selection, reasonably priced”

New Clock Inn - Hungry Horse
Ranked #574 of 894 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I visited here with my partner and 3 children.
It was very busy but we did find a table.
The food choice was excellent, however, my curry came out cold.
Also, I went looking for baby changing facilities and descovered that these are not signposted. Some poor chap saw me lugging my baby and his bag around looking and must of guessed, so told me where to go.
Also, there was a table left near us by a family and it was an aweful mess (not the staff's fault I know), but it was left for a long time not cleared, and when it was the food rubbish was just left of the floor, including a corn on the cob in the walkway!
For what you pay, it is good value

1  Thank Kate L

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Went here on a Sunday late afternoon with my girlfriend and little boy . On arrival no one even acknowledged us, the lady behind the bar just said find a seat if you can, after about 15 mins a group left so we grabbed the table. The table was cleared but not wiped down and was sticky,much like all the menus and condiments. No help was offered finding a high chair. They were obviously under staffed. the megasaurus steak was cooked as requested and very good value. The roast was a very average microwave type dinner but plenty of it. Overall wasn't bad but could do with some cleaning products . Wouldn't go out of my way to return .

1  Thank Codeye02
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Absolutely love the food here and it really is so affordable. We have a lovely exexperience every time and such friendly staff.

2  Thank hayd2014
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We eat here a lot (3-4 times a month) as its cheap and cheerful, and the food plentiful.
The actual bar/restaurant area is nice and bright although the table layout is a bit cramped and the tables are not wiped down/cleared regularly enough.
Unfortunately the worst part/aspects is the staff.
Initially getting served can be a bit of a battle. You order at the bar and numerous times I've stood there for 15mins waiting with no one serving. Servers come through from the kitchens with plates of food but completely ignore anyone standing there.
Eventually someone wanders over, and (generally with no apology) takes your order.
The serving staff again, are completely devoid of any emotion, but efficient and polite (without actually appearing to mean it).

This doesn't put us off (as we know the food is worth it) , the terrible service has almost become a running joke (humming the Thriller theme tune), but new customers are liable to walk out before even being served.

Standard pub food, but enjoyable enough and decent servings.
Don't let the staff put you off a good fill.

1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I no its only a hungry horse but I eat at a lot of local restaurants and always end up going back you no what your getting hear good quality grub at great prices . your always made to feel welcome drinks are the best value in the area even as cheap as social clubs so if you don't want to many frills with value for money you wont go wrong