“nice hotel”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I travel down to Southampton from time to time to meet my daughter from the island. I stayed in the Dolphin with my A Club Card for the points and to try one of the other mercure hotels in southampton. The Dolphin is an old hotel that has been extensively renovated, My room was on the ground floor and was small but perfectly ok for just me and was clean and comfortable. There are some nice bars and restaurants in the area and in the morning the hotel was handy for all of the shopping in Southampton. I thought the parking £3 for twenty four hours was particulalry good value - I arrived on friday eveningfand could park for all of saturday at the Dolphin. I slept well and after a dtressful drive from London the hotel was a good place to stay.

I especially like that the managers of the Mercure hotels respond to trip advisor reviews - so to him thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and your note in relation to my responses on trip advisor - I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us.
Kind regards

Reviewed 28 March 2011

Stayed here before and reviewed my negative experience then so it's only fair that i report a recent very positive experience staying there last week. Had a great room, staff were nice and friendly, even the bar staff seemed to know their stuff! Also probably had the best bath i've ever had! based on this visit would recommend without hesitation. Get a nice room and you should have a great time!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I was delighted to read you enjoyed a better stay than your previous visit and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2011

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Dendoc
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Reviewed 21 March 2011

Agreeably i rated average at the quality of the hotel , however , i am very disappointed as the food at the signature restaurant is very BLAND ! i had the steamed mussels/scallop/prawns , the mussels are absolutely tasteless so are the ide vegetable . I have to pay £ 20 for that kind of food , and we are not even in LONDON !!
The hotel looks nice on the surface , but to charge £ 12.50 per day for WIFI and £ 5 for extra for the privilege of room service , i think that is a ripped off !
I work in the travel industry and i would not recommend your hotel to our clients . When i ordered a coffee , the coffee taste burnt , seems like end of the day , the awful taste of the coffee been brewed far too long. I understand i should have let your staff aware , however , with the long list of ,disappointment, I cannot be bothered !! I was supposed to stay from 21st March 2011 for 4 nights . I checked out the next day ! i rather go back to a little quaint hotel RED LION in FAREHAM with excellent food , service , free WIFI , do not charge for room service . With access to FREE GYM around the corner for the same kind of price ! or LESS ! I rather be further out of my work than staying at the Dolphin Hotel in the centre of SOUTHAMPTON !
Lastly , your staff do offer very good customer service , they are all very pleasant and efficient .

Rgds
a disappointing guest

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Dear Ms Teoh
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
It was a real shame that we were not given the chance to address your concerns whilst you were staying with us as I do not like any of our guests to leave disapointed. After your departure I made contact with you very quickly to address the concerns you had which I thought I had achieved, this is clearly not the case for which I apologise.
I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel to prove your experience is not reflective of our standards.

Reviewed 21 March 2011

I stayed this weekend with my parents, Aunt and Uncle and it is a year since I stayed when the hotel re-opened last year. The rooms were great, modern and spacious. And the welcome at reception was excellent. Staff in the bar and restaurant were all very friendly too. We had breakfast at the hotel which was brilliant value and there was a great selection on offer. My families reason for staying was to do some sight seeing and visit the football ground, we had a great day out at Beaulieu Motor Museum and Bucklers Hard just 30 minutes from the city centre and steeped in history. And to top the weekend Saints beat Sheffield Wednesday! Hurrah

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank EventMaker

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was delighted to read you had a good stay, and I will of course make sure your comments are passed onto my team who will be delighted! I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel very soon.
Kind regards

A TripAdvisor Member
Brisbane
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Room was no bigger than a telephone booth. With two people in the room there was no room to pass each other. This hotel would be better advertised as a budget hotel. Breakfast was OK. I don't believe it is value for money.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I was sorry to read you were disapointed with your room for which I apologise. There is always a duty manager available who would have been able to arrange a room move for you if you had made us aware of your concerns whilst you were staying with us.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights and were made to feel very welcome from vicky at reception who congratulated us on our 25th wedding anniversary , stayed in a lovely room 131 with a huge bed and on the table was an anniversary card from the manager and staff ,what a nice touch .
Ideal location for everything and in an original building of southamptons history .
would have no hesitation in revisiting and recommending this little gem to anyone .

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScotlandHaggis
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing you stay with us I was delighted to read you enjoyed your wedding anniversary with us. We try and ensure that we make our guests special stays even more memorable and I was pleased to read this was the case.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Hotel very soon.