“Great Hotel, History and Location”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 29 April 2011

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2011

An Accor traveller
Romford
Reviewed 27 April 2011

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2011

A TripAdvisor Member
mount savage
Reviewed 27 April 2011

The desk staff were very helpful and were responsive to all our requests for services, including booking a taxi to take us to the cruise terminal. Hotel is in the Old Town of Southamton which has some pleasant attractions, and it is within a short walk of a great shopping district.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I was pleased to read you had a good stay and will ensure your kind feedback is communicated to the front desk team.
General Manger

Reviewed 24 April 2011

We stayed for one night B&B good sized room, great breakfast and parking plus taxi transfers to port.
Efficient service no complaints.It was cheaper than parking at port.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviweing your stay with us, I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2011

This was disappointing on virtually every count; if nothing else, when things go wrong, you start to notice all the other problems that normally would pass you by.

Firstly, the building. The history of the place is as a coaching inn, and parts of it date back to the 16th century. The main block is of three parts and so there are a lot of stairs - don't expect a level corridor from the lift to your room. Similarly the age of the building means that air conditioning can't be installed very easily - cool your room by opening the window.

So it's a shame that Accor have tried to apply a bland 'business hotel' gloss to the building in a modern style. Cool grey walls, corporately cool carpets and glass bowls as bathroom sinks do not complement - or interestingly challenge - the building. Wouldn't it be better to work with the building and recognise its age - or if Accor wants a consciously modern hotel, to build one on the extensive open car park at the back of the site?

Secondly, our visit. We arrived at maybe 2045 on a Tuesday evening - late, but hardly requiring the night porter to get out of bed. Once we'd found the reception desk (it's not opposite the front door, but tucked to its left) it was unstaffed, and without a bell or any other way of calling a member of staff. Happily, an employee shot out of the restaurant to answer a phone call - the caller was told that reservations were only open between 9 and 5, and no, the reception desk couldn't help. Phone calls to other people are none of our business - but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth to see a potential customer told that the hotel can't help them.

Once we had reception's attention, we were promptly sent up to our room. Our booking, made through Mercure's own website, was for two people, yet the room, despite having a double bed, was clearly made up for single occupancy - one mug, one set of towels, bed pushed against the wall. But we're British, so we didn't complain - we rang down for extra towels. Or rather, I let the phone ring thirty times, then went down to ask reception for more towels. What a good thing that my wife was alert enough to hear the staff attempting to deliver the towels to a rather surprised guest in another room.

The room would have been comfortable for one, but was cramped for two, especially after pulling the bed away from the wall to give access to both sides. The bathroom was beautifully spacious - so spacious that I have to wonder whether Accor would have done everyone some favours by moving the plasterboard wall to give a smaller bathroom (maybe with a shower instead of a bath) and larger bedroom.

And so to bed; the mattress was good, but the duvet felt small for two people.

Breakfast was adequate, but no more. I was pleased to find black pudding so far south; my wife was not impressed with the cold fried eggs.

Returning to the hotel after a difficult day at a family funeral, it was clear that housekeeping had done their duty and serviced the room. The bed was back against the wall (probably so the cleaner could get the vacuum cleaner in - understandable but annoying), our virtually identical toothbrushes had been put into the same toothglass, and the towels had been replaced. With one set. This is not only inconvenient (I went straight to reception to find towels this time) but I find it rather insulting. Did housekeeping think we were sneaking an extra customer in without paying, or think that we were not a married couple but a business man with an unofficial (how can I put this) person giving service overnight? Either way, they were wrong - and if the hotel did hold either view, then why did they not have the confidence to raise the point with us?

We checked out on schedule, and to give full credit to the reception staff the following morning, they were concerned to hear of our problems. Apparently the room was meant to be single occupancy, hence the lack of space I understood that our difficulties would be mentioned to the general manager, who would be in touch. Well, more than 24 hours have passed, and the general manager hasn't been in touch, so I put the concern shown as being so much flannel.

For non business people, we use hotels quite a lot. This was our first visit to a Mercure - indeed to any Accor hotel. Will we be using any of their properties again? No. And will we be telling our friends (and tripadvisor users) about it so that they can avoid Accor as well? You bet!

Room Tip: Hotel car park is accessed from Back of the Walls
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2011

Dear Member

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to read of your disapointing stay for which I apologise, I would also like to assure you that the points raised will be addressed with my team and indeed this kind of experience is not reflective of our usual high standards.

I do feel your comments regarding our 'flannel approach' to customer care is very unfair and unjustified we take all customer feedback very seriously and use it to improve the service we offer. The only reason I did not contact you so quickly was I was away from the office for a few days and as you are aware I made contact on my return today.

In spite of your experience I hope you will choose to stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 April 2011

This hotel has an interesting past and is well situated for travel to the port of Southampton. Our visit was to use Tesco tokens and explore this region. We were allocated room 302 which was small though clean and tidy.The beds were below the standard we expected, and seagull noise could not be avoided as the room became unbearably hot when windows closed and no aircon.Who likes spending the next day tired on holiday? The shower was hot enough, but suddenly a deluge of freezing water was dumped without any warning. This continued ad nauseam. Unable to remove subtitles from the television was a minor irritant, as was warm water coming from the cold tap for teeth cleaning. We were offered another room, but decided to call it a day(we were booked for two nights) The pleasant staff presented a good breakfast and complimentary drinks offered I realise old properties can be difficult to modernise, but we have seen it done well. Come on Mercure, with all your financial clout, you can do better than this.

Room Tip: Avoid seagull rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I was concerned to read of your experiences with room 302, for which I apologise. I would like to assure you the points that can be addressed have been completed. On a postive note I was pleased to read you enjoyed breakfast and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

Reception was busy so check-in was pleasant and quick. The young chap behind the bar
was very polite, curteous and a credit to your hotel as nothing was too much trouble when we had a drink in the bar saturday evening. My only complaint was our bathroom
(I did tell this to the girl when checking out) our flush tank was cracked, the silicon behind
the bath taps was mouldy, you couldn't open the shower screen to get to the bath taps as it kept hitting the bath handles, and I found a few hairs in the bath. In fairness we
did have a cheap deal on the room and we only wanted to shower and get our heads
down as we wanted to go to the Isle of Wight for the day and other places the next, so
did not stay there much. Saturday night we settled down to sleep about midnight when next door put on their telly very loud and we could hear every word, lucky enough after about an hour they switched it off otherwise we would of phoned reception to complain so soundproofing is an issue.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Please be assured I will be using your comments to help us improve standards in the hotel and would like to apologise for the problems with your bathroom. I was pleased to read your comments about the bar team and I will ensure this is passed onto them.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.