“Comfortable as always”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Room was clean and comfortable. Personalised greeting card from the General Manager was a nice touch. All staff very attentive and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hebasca G
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will ensure this is feed back to the team

i hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Reviewed 13 October 2011

The building is a welcome change to other hotels. It has character and individuality which is all good. The room was well proportioned and well fitted with modern fittings. The bathroom was slightly odd...bright shiny modernist glass sink with the rest still stuck in the 1980's. You need to be 5'6" or shorter to use the shower effectively. Other positives include that there is parking and it is very central.

The biggest down side has to be the temperature of the entire hotel. On a pleasantly cool day and night, the hotel was beyond bearable - the bedroom was exceptionally hot and even with the window open there was no possibility of a breeze as it faced a wall. On making reception aware I was given lots of apologies and "it is a listed building" - listed status is not a reason but an excuse as other listed buildings manage to control their temperature effectively.

The 02:30 fire alarm did not help the sleeping and bizarrely 20 minutes later management had printed off an apology letter and pushed under each door - woke me up as I was just going back to sleep!

The only other comment is that in a dark entrance area it is unclear where the reception desk is. I think every other hotel I have been into reception is located directly in front of the main door. Here it is tucked round the corner to the right - almost needs a big "it's behind you" sign as you walk in as you rely on a receptionist shouting at you to turn round and see it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I appreciate your feedback and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

The hotel is centrally located, has a car park and is competitively priced and in truth I was reasonably happy with my stay but it is in need of some refurbishment in certain areas. The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly at all times. I find The Dolphin a bitter-sweet experience - this was my second visit and what I can't get over is how hot the place is! Even the walls in my room were hot so I needed the fan I found in the wardrobe to circulate a bit of air. The throw on the bed had some very dubious looking stains on it, as did the carpet.

It should be noted by the staff that your conversations criticising the management and slagging off the guests when you stand by the back door can be heard through the open window of room 112.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel so can't comment on the dinner but again, attention to detail was poor. Breakfast is billed as starting at 6.30am but on both mornings I had to wait for fried eggs and fruit juice to be put out, until 6.40am. If you state breakfast is at 6.30, then 6.30 it should be. On the plus side, there was plenty of choice and it was all well cooked. One point of note is the kitchen door wedged open with a chair reveals the food and beverage budget targets - not something that should be on show I feel as this makes guests feel like a commodity to be milked for all they are worth. I know these budgets exist but I don't want to see them (see photo).

The bar is another disappointment as it can only seat about 12 people.

The friendliness of the staff offsets some of the issues I have mentioned but I think it would do the management of this hotel good to have a look at things through the eyes of their guests - the state of the car park, stained furnishings, attention to detail at breakfast etc.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the team were welcoming.

I appreciate your constructive comments which will be taken on board and addressed wtih the relevant members of my team.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Well we booked this hotel as there was a good cruise parking and stay offer, this gave us bed and breakfast parking for the cruise duration and transfers to and from the hotel.
After reading other reviews i was wondering what i was going to get but i can say now good value for money.
The room we were allocated was small but adequate and of a good decor, also in the room were nice touches like bottled water, flapjacks, tea, coffee etc and toiletries .There was a electric fan in the room (as previous reviews it was a warm hotel) we opened the window in our room and it did us fine.
Hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful the breakfast was very nice with plenty to choose from and a lovely room.
The hotel is situated near to the main shopping centre and there are lots of pubs and restaurants in easy walking distance.
The only downside for me was the hotel bar prices which i found to be a little excessive but like i said there is plenty of choice nearby.
We would certainly use the hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us we appreicate your feedback.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel before your next cruise.

Reviewed 30 September 2011

Southampton. not a place I have ever desired to visit. Can't say why, and it's not a slight on the good folk of the city, but it's down on the South Coast and that's all i have ever known about it. Oh, they made Spitfires there in the war. I remember now. Anyway, I had to get myself down there for a works related bash and found myself a room at the Mercure, slap bang in the middle of the place. A city centre hotel, not my favourite sort of location but last minuters can't always be choosers y'know.

The location of the Mercure means it has been at the mercy of town planners and their devious plans around people trafficking, and even with the aid of sat-nav I still managed to go down the wrong alley, producing a few curses as I read the big sign on how to reach the car park on the side of the hotel. Evidently I was hardly the first to try and drive down the little alleyway that splits the property, and I daresay I won't be the last to make a complete guess on the correct turning either, but eventually I got in the car park and after wondering who on earth all the traffic cones blocking off spaces seemingly at random were for, up the paved path to the side entrance I trudged.

The Mercure looks rather old from the outside, with a line of tiny tenements on the one side of the alley I had mistakenly attempted to punt my car through. It's quite characterful if perhaps a bit faux Dickens, but once inside I got my key and had directions to my room. And got the shock of the day. One of the little doors of the buildings I had just walked past was the entrane to my room for the night! Oh Lordy, this couldn't be right, surely? Oh indeed it was right, and I really didn't like what I found inside.

Opening the door I was welcomed into a bizarre melting pot of furniture hurled into a tiny room. A rushed attempt at some contemporary fittings were jostling with reproduction sticks, and this interior argument was deafening. The tiny desk on which wobbled a kettle came with a seat hopelessly wrong for attempting any meaning ful work on my laptop, the wardrobe was abandoned in a corner and so small it was filled by an ironing board, and the floor was about as level as the North Sea during a Force 6. But the pièce de résistance was the bathroom. I really thought at first the door at the back of the room was a corridor. And at less than 3 feet wide, a narrow one at that. But no, somehow the hotel had managed to prise in a shower, a sink and a loo. It was living proof that some people think the TARDIS is real and they too can make small spaces feel larger. In this place they failed, big time.

I'd love to say something about the staff, or perhaps the food, but the front door of my room opening onto a semi-public alley left me feeling vulnerable to the point where I slept incredibly badly in a not especially comfy bed and woke up drained and irritable. Yes, there are gates shut at night to make the alley more private, but this didn't ease my mind one jot. These ground floor rooms would be better off as twee shops selling pottery, not rooms that are too small for even an overnight stay with insecure front door locks.

I suppose this experience was a lesson for me to sk about what room I was getting before making a booking. If I had, there is no way I would have stayed in this place. If you're looking for something unusual then be my guest and ask for one of these rooms. You'll certainly get what you deserve. And to be fair i may well go back if I am required to visit Southampton again, but only in the main structure of the hotel. Hopefully I will be able to be more positive about what should have been a nice experience but turned out a bit of a disaster.

Room Tip: Just ask whether the room is in the courtyard on the ground floor. If it is, ask for something else...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BigPete1968
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2011

Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was sorry to read you were disapointed with your room allocation, we could easily have moved you to another room had you made me aware. The room you were allocated is steeped in tradition and would have been the 'stables' when the hotel was originally a coaching inn and they contain some of the orginal beams but I appreciate your feedback.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future and please make us aware of your room prefernce so we can ensure you are allcoated another room.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed at the Dolphin Hotel for two nights (Friday and Saturday night) to visit the Southampton Boat Show. The location was excellent with good quick access to the shopping centre and restaurants in the immeadiate area. The Hotel has undergone a face lift and is presented in a fresh modern style, however being an old buildingit is a little quirky, the lift access means you have to use the stairs to access your floor, the sound proofing could be better especially as there was a wedding dance on the saturday night and despite being two floors up the noise was significant, there was also a lot of street noise and due to no airconditioning in the room we opened the window which accentuated the noise. The room was spacious and the bathroom functional. Breakfast was well presented, it was buffet style with a good choice, the restaurant staff were attentive and the newspapers were a nice touch.
We would stay at the hotel again but request a room at the rear to avoid the noise.

Room Tip: Request a room at the rear to avoid street noise and late night revellers.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for your constructive feedback which will be taken on board and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

My best friend booked this hotel for the night before her wedding and the night of her wedding. As her bridesmaid I stayed here 1 night with her, another bridesmaid and the brides mother.

The hotel was well aware of this being a special occasion and how many people would be staying in the suite room.

Firstly, we live in Southampton so the location is good and since the hotel has the refurb it looks fab so as well as the wedding (which was taking place in a nearby church) we were very excited.

Upon arrival to the room, the bride to be was greeted by an overwhelming stench of vomit. the room had not be cleaned properly. This was immediately reported to apologies and cleaners being sent to the room.
We also purchased air freshener to try and make this as pleasant for the bride as possible.

The room itself was spacious, but nothing fancy. A separate lounge area and bedroom with large comfy bed.

Firstly the room was unbearably hot, the bedroom was literally a sauna. They had put a sofa bed (very thin mattress) and a camp bed in the lounge area... With no additional pillows?! As soon as the bride sat on the camp bed it collapsed, admittedly this did have comedy value but when we looked at the camp bed it was completely bent with slats missing.... When the manager came he did apologise and admit that the bed should of been thrown out - by the way they were completely aware that this was a wedding party!

We ordered pillows, some soft drinks and for our flowers to be brought to the room (to pin button holes, as due to the temp in the room they had to be put in the chiller) after 45 mins of waiting, we called to see what was happening only to be told that we should be able to see that they were really busy due to another wedding...?? Bearing in mind the bride had paid over the odds for this suite. They probably brought the items after an hour and an half, and us visiting the desk.

During the night myself and the bride were taking ill with extreme vomiting and diarrhoea, I cannot point any fingers as could be totally unrelated but go back to when we first checked in, the symptoms were matching some sort of noro virus.
Again when calling in the night for more toilet rolls, we were brought 1 roll each time!

I didn't pay for this hotel, but I feel so disappointed for my best friend, when she returned from her wedding with her new husband (still ill and had to leave reception early) the room has just been tidied and not decorated for the newly weds.

I would never recommend this hotel.

(forgot to mention some other family members stayed here the same night, paid £80 and could barely fit around the bed)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was sorry to read there were elements of your stay that were disapointing for which I apologise. As with all feedback your comments have been investigated and discussed with the team so we can constantly look at ways we can improve the service and facilities we offer.

I would like to assure you that we have a very strict procedure in regarding to cleaning and the illness was not caused by any shortcomings from the hotel.

Thank you again for the feedback and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.