“Thans for a wonderful stay”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Salisbury
“Thans for a wonderful stay”
Reviewed 28 October 2011

My partner, myself and our 2 yr old daughter stayed for the weekend in Oct 2011. We had a wonderful time, excellent service and what felt like 5 star luxury in our room and at breakfast. Well 5 star luxury in more of a homely and friendly atmosphere actually. Something about the hotel and the staff almost makes you feel as though you are part of the family. There is the most lovely and enchanting cobbled alley from the car park and the upkeep and maintenance throughout the grounds and buildings is top class. This hotel really does provide the best in contemporary comfort and style inside. The room was totally up to date in decor and looked so beautiful when we stepped in and the cot was pristine and made up so beautifully......we could tell that attention to detail was on the agenda among the staff. Our room service order was delicious and home made and in the morning, the breakfast was top class too. The restaurant area is stunning and so stylish and current. The staff were welcoming and extremely professional. They checked on us regularly and were very friendly......that family feeling came once again..... And the food....well it was absolutely perfect....the home-made hash browns especially! In terms of location, we were grateful to be so close to the town centre. The market was fascinating and the shopping very good. We also walked over to the public swimming pool which was literally a few hundred metres away.....and it was superb for children! We had a great time and it was surprisingly cheap. If you want a serious swim, the lane pool is seperate so you won't have the 'noise' of the kids pool. We took a drive to the New Forest for the day and getting parked on our return was really no problem, even though the car park looked very full. We would highly recommend this unique hotel. Hope you have as great a stay as we did.

Room Tip: They all looked nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jo L
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 29 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will ensure this is feed back to the team.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Looks good from outside but inside everything is beige with long dark corridors that are like a maze. Room adaquate, our sons bed was broken but they came quickly to fix it. Think you could find better hotels in the area but it's ok. Ps why does the manager copy & paste the same response to each review?

• Stayed October 2011
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for you review.

I was sorry to read there were issues with your son's bed but was pleased this was quickly addressed.

In regards to your comment regards copying and pasting my responses I can assure you this is not the case and I read and respond to each review indvidually as we value our customers feedback.

Norwich United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Stayed in room 011 - excellent, clean and well decorated. Staff very helpful. Breakfasts were great (could have done with hot plates to put cooked breakfast on) Plenty of choice. We were a party of 48 walkers so all ate together at same time for dinner. As you would expect we were on a set menu - three good choices for each course. The a la carte menu looked very good . I gather I was lucky as I had no problem with noise from the surrounding bars until the early hours - others not so lucky. If I were to grumble it would the the pillows which could have doubled up as paving slabs - thin, flat and hard!! We all agreed (after reading reviews previous to going - which seemed critical) that we enjoyed our stay and would certainly use the hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ros S
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Great location, good value, room and bathroom was a reasonable size (if not the doorways, remember to duck!!), clean and well presented. On the negative side, there was quite a bit of noise from the room above and breakfast could of been better, limited continential selection and unfortunately the yoghurt drinks were 17 days out of date, but these things happen.....

That being said, probably would consider staying there again..

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us I appreciate your constructive feedback that will be taken on board

London, UK
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Overall, I would rate the hotel as adequate.

The location in the city centre is excellent and the hotel looks quite nice from the outside.

Check-in was efficient and friendly. The lift doesn’t serve all the floors, so there is a fair bit of lugging your luggage up and down staircases. The corridors are dull and uninviting; with wires running through pretty much every nook and corner.

My room faced the High Street and had a single-glazed sash window. This meant it was not only noisy, but also cold. There is no guest-operated climate control and the heating wasn’t turned on yet, so the only option was to bear it.

The bathroom reminded me of university halls of residence – exceptionally basic with white tiles and the dullest grey lino floor you could imagine. It was clean, though.

At about 2am the fire alarm went off. As I was preparing to leave my room, they managed to turn it off. A letter of apology was then delivered under my door in the morning. As it had no date, I assumed they use it whenever this happens and, surprise, surprise, a search on TripAdvisor will reveal this is fairly often. Definitely not impressed.

I had dinner at the hotel restaurant, but they had problems charging it to my account, calling me around 11pm to discuss it. Eventually they managed to figure out where the problem was. Breakfast was acceptable, but, again, problems with how to charge my account. Considering the amount of business Accor get from my company, they could sort this out.

Compared to other similar 4-stars I stay at with work, the Mercure Southampton is definitely my least favourite.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I appreciate your feedback that will be addressed with my team.

In regards to the fire alarm, the alarms sounding is not a regular occurance and only activates when the system detects an irragularity to ensure the safety of all our guests and staff. The apology letters are in place as part of our fire risk assesment and the fact that they are not dated is so they can be quickly used and allow our guest to return to sleep after being disturbed.

Thank you gain for the feedback and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I have recently just returned from a nights stay at the Mercure Dolphin. Overall we had a nice stay but just a few things let it down.
Great location, in walking distance of the main town centre and bars and restaurants if venturing out. Its good that there is a car park but does get full early on.
Upon arrival we had to wait about 25 minutes at reception to check in. There was only one girl on the reception, she was lovely, and she was doing her best to be as quick as possible but other staff were constantly interupting her and getting her to do other tasks while she obviously had a queue! One of the other members of staff seemed to be stressed out with things and made no point of hiding the fact she was annoyed at another collegue.
Room was lovely, we had twin beds. Plenty of space and on the 2nd floor so didnt experience any problems except it was a bit noisy outside on the main street but this isnt the hotels fault. Bathroom was clean, shower was a bit dodgy couldnt get any hot water in the morning though kept going on and off. Comfortable sleep though.
Decided to order the room service as we were quite tired from a long journey, took about 20 minutes to get put through to the restaurant to order though, but when food arrived it was really nice. Lots of choice on the menu, the only thing we didnt have in the room was a drinks menu so took a chance.
Breakfast next morning was a real let down. Very unorganised and staff didnt seem to know what they were doing. One guy took our room number and crossed us off a list and basically just said sit anywhere and 'a girl with blonde hair will take your drink order'.(we heard him telling all the guests this as they came in) Anyway the girl with blonde hair didnt come to the table at all, we could see her going to other tables but missed us! so we had to shout her over and ask for our tea/coffee and she just pulled a face and came back and slammed it on the table, without saying a word! Food was poor, the continental section was average but the hot selection really wasnt worth the money.
Overall though, the hotel itself is lovely and full of character and the rooms were adequate, but service and breakfast really let it down.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I appreciate your feedback which will be addressed

Stroud
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Overall okay. However, on arrival we were presented with a room outside the main hotel with own entrance. Excited at first until we found the room was freezing with thin walls. I complained to reception that the heating wasn't working to which they replied it wasn't on. To be fair they said they would arrange for someone to deliver a portable heater, On returning to the room I then found the TV remote didn't work and there was only 1 shower gel provided (no soap either). At this point I returned to reception and asked for another room. We were given another room - smaller but okay. But guess what, no heat control again. That was okay though as for some reason that part of the hotel was extremely warm. I have stayed at Mercures before and always been impressed. This particular venue though falls pretty short for a 4 star and I expect much better at this price level. Oh, and the elevator smelt like damp socks..

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was sorry to read there were some disapointing aspects of your stay for which I apologise.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future to prove your experience is not reflective of our high standards.