“Perfect location, shame about the service”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Stayed here from the 28th Oct, for a weekend break and some shopping. On arrival our room was not available, so we left our bags with reception and went shopping. On first impressions the hotel looked nice.

We came back and checked in with no problems, went to out room and the lift had a funny smell same as the corridors (smelt like feet mixed with a new carpet smell).

The room was a reasonable size, the cleaning is not up to standard. The bathroom was not very clean, bathroom tiles had mildew and was dusty. The bathroom light did not work so we had to make do with the small light from the mirrior. The shower head had limescale and every time you turned it on it would first splash out of the bath then return to normal.

I called reception to request 2 extra pillows (we had to use 3 pillows each to make a standard sized pillow). We also informed reception that the bathroom light was not working, spoke to a lady called Anna or Anja, who informed us that this will be fixed, as well as get the pillows.

We waited for the pillows and nothing arrived, as we were going out for dinner, we left assuming that all will be fine when we come back. (On our return either of the things we had requested had been done)

I purchased internet for 24hrs, and forgot to write the login in number down, so i called reception to ask if there was anything they could do, or if i could use their internet to access my emails as the confirmation had been sent there.

The night porter (i think) answered and as he couldn't understand what i wanted he put me on hold to ask someone. Whilst i was on hold i could hear Craig (the duty manager reprimanding him,as he had messed up some PQDs and that he was creating more work for him). I could hear the night porter trying to explain that he had a customer on the phone and Craig was just interested in the PDQs.

Eventually Craig came on the phone, i explained the situation and he infomed me that there was nothing he coild do to help me, and they didnt have internet access to private email addresses. He informed me that as Cloud (the internet provider) were a 3rd party company, it was not their porblem if anything happened with the internet purchased. I informed him that i was very dissappointed by this, and that as a 4star hotel they should have provisions on how to solve problems for guests regarding the internet, as i was sure that they are getting some sort of commision for all internet access purchased.

Craig gave me a telephone number to call, and informed me that they might be closed so i might have to wait until the morning to speak to someone. I explained to him that this would mean i only would have had the internet access for 3hrs instead of 24hrs. Once again Craig said they was nothing he could do it that.

I called the number he gave me and i retrieved an emergency out of hrs number. I called this and the representative from Cloud, proceeded to give me my login in details. (I feel that Craig could have done this, but he was not interested, and considering that my phone was roaming i was not very happy.

We still did not receive the pillows requested neither did the bathroom light get fixed. We went into the bar for a drink, and was very shocked to be charged £7.50 for a JD&coke and a small lemonade. We were not as shocked as another guest who was charged £2.50 for a soda water with a dash of lime!

We eventually got our extra pillows, but this was only because we saw the housekeeper in the corridor and asked her for some.
We had dinner for out last night, and when we went to order i was told that the meal that i wanted was not available( this sgould have been told to us before we had looked at the menu)

Cannot fault the waitress, the service she gave was excellent considering that she was new. She was running around on her own and the other waitress was not helping her as she was busy talking and joking with other staff (2 managers/supervisors, bar man and chef)( i think the 2 were managers/supervisors and they had suits on and walked around trying to look important without actually doing anything sufficient).At no point did 2 managers /supervisors ask her to help the other girl. Although the restaurant was not full and the other waitress was managing, i found this very unprofessional

If they were not busy they could have given the other waitress a job to do,(like cleaning the mirror in the restaurant near the air con, as well as wiping the walls, as they had streaks on them as if water had been running down them.
Checking out was fine, as our flight was late we left our luggage with reception and went to do some last minute shopping.

On our arrival to collect our luggage, we were shocked to see that they were still where we left them. I proceeded to take my luggage a put some more items in my suitcase (at no point during this did the receptionist challenge me as to whether they were my bags) so much for security.

This hotel is in the perfect location, and is being let down by the service and cleanliness. The management need to look at this if they want to maintain their 4star. Although the hotel has been refurbished, it is being let down by the level of service the staff are giving and the standard of cleaning.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I really appreciate your feedback which will be used to improve the service we offer.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future to prove to you that your experience is not reflective of the high standards we offer.

Neil Brailsford

Write a ReviewReviews (1,610)

Reviewed 3 November 2011

One of the worst hotel experiences we've had. We visited during a heat wave which made it all the worse because there is no air conditioning in the dumpy little rooms. It was very noisy all night because we had to have the window open or we would have perished from the heat. The little table fan stopped working after a couple of hours and the toilet refused to flush.

Room Tip: We were in a group of 19 travelers. No one had a good room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frank60616
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Dear Guest

I was sorry to read you did not have a good experience for which I sincereley apologise.

Despite of this I do hope you will choose to stay with us again here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

A TripAdvisor Member
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 3 November 2011

My wife and spent one night at the Dolphin as we were leaving on a cruise the next day. The hotel was easy enough to find, although the car park was full so we had to use the nearby multi-storey: this was well-lit so we weren't too worried about leaving six suitcases in the car..
At check-in the (solitary) receptionist was on the phone for several minutes before she could attend to us; however she was quite friendly and efficient. The room was a good size, quiet, and had an excellent en-suite. Writing this review three weeks later I have to admit that I can't remember anything about breakfast, so it must have been OK! Check-out was rapid and efficient.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel before you depart on your next cruise

Reviewed 2 November 2011

Great for shopping as its right in the town and handy for pubs and restaurants. The hotel is warm and friendly and this is our third time we have stayed here. The breakfast is very good and the service is excellent.

1  Thank Terena C
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel for the fourth time

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Firstly, Im new to trip advisor, as after just watching the ch4 program, It reminded of a stay in July 2011 at this hotel that I wished to review,

Firstly to play this fair, I have not read any other reviews, as I know what I need to say, short and sweet hopefully.

I was in southampton to go on a world racing yacht for the day and decided to stay at the dolpin without research the nite before,

Firstly, the car park was excellent,
The check in staff and all other staff i met there were excellent.
The Bar area seem friendly enough.

Then I arrive at the room and it all goes wrong,

The room was awful, and I mean awful, not dirty, just horible, it looked out on a strip joint opposite, and some cheap bar next to that to the right.

Decided to get out of there asap and got showered for a night out,

When getting back to the room, my mate staying in the next room, we both call on our phones and laugh that our rooms were the pits, but heyho, c u in morning for a good day,

Then the bed, the bed was the worse bed ive ever had to sleep on, you would roll of to one side, it was so cheap and awful, just simply not good enough.

I like to sleep with my window open when im away from home, just incase of a carbon monoxide leek, I know crazy but i do it every single place i have ever stayed, so the dodgy bar outside kept me away until 4am in the morning,

In the morning the toilet blocked and stayed blocked, which wasnt very pleasant, this has never happened to me ever, so im afraid, i blame your toilet and pipes for this.

I will repeat every member of staff was very polite at all times, even when the tv didnt work when i arrived, the manager fixed it for me straightaway.

The pic on this website does not look like the room i stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank businessnorwich
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

Dear Guest

I appreciate your feedback but I am quite surprised by your review as all our bedrooms have been refurbished in the last twelve months.

We do have a duty manager available twenty four hours a day who could have arranged for you to be moved to another room if they had been made aware.

I hope you will give us another opportunity and stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Although this hotel has a good location this is where it stops. I stayed with my family last week and was unhappy with the service. First of all the car parking was appalling. Constantly full and had to pay to park my car overnight in a NCP car park. The service in the restaurant was terrible. The staff were miserable and had no sense of urgency. Cleanliness in the restaurant was questionable. Given a teapot which was dirty. I observed members of staff wipe round table tops and not move unused plates. A table asked for some milk and I observed a member of staff go to one table where the customers had left and pick the milk up from there and then go to another used table to put some more milk in it and then take it to the customer. The food on the buffet was not changed or refilled by the staff. In the room my daughter was given a bed with broken slats and a very thin mattress. She had to sleep in our bed. I will not return again!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for revewing your stay with.

As with all feedback we receive I will ensure this is addressed with my team so we can constantly review and improve the level of service we offer.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future to prove your experience is not reflective of the high standards we offer.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

As this seems to be a good medium to speak to the manager of the hotel I will post a review.

I had no issue with the Hotel rooms, the building is lovely.
I do however have an isuue with the fact my pre-authorisation money was not refunded back to me (thogh i was only told "it's just a swipe of your card at no point was the £200 harge mentioned) & I didn't get the Zoo tickets I was meant to as I had booked an attraction rate.
I have called the Hotel and have had little response other than an offer to refund the amount which may take a few days.
No sorry, no immediate action, just the receptionist wanting to blame the recpetionist who checked me out, who ironically WAS the recpetionist who checked me out.

Due to the above, and the lack of customer service. I have made a formal complaint to Mercure.
Seen as this seems to be the only way to let management know, here I am.
If you would like to contact me Customer Care & reception should have my details.

If your staff do refund the money at any point. I would like written confirmation.

Emma 25th - 27th October

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and my apologies for the problem with the billing.

i am in the process of making contact with you to resolve this matter but would like to reassure you this is not a regular problem at the hotel and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.