“I would stay here again on my next trip”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Great central location in Southampton for where I was working with car parking.
Car park is at the back of the hotel and you need to navigate around the one way system. I wasn't clear about this until I pulled up outside the front of the hotel and read the notice.

Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful.

The room was spotlessly clean and well appointed - A credit to the hotel.

When I return back to Southampton I will definitely return here

Stayed: March 2012
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I really appreciate your feedback

We hope to welcome you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel on your next visit to the city

Neil Brailsford

Write a ReviewReviews (1,641)

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Just stayed at the mecure dolphin and couldnt fault it at all. The location waz perfect right by the shops and port, the check in waz friendly and efficient, hotel spotlessly clean, comfy beds, housekeepers friendly, nice and warm, nice bathroom - we had a lovely time it waz great value and its the only hotel in southampton we'd choose.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Lifes4livin
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Reviewed 7 March 2012

A nice hotel as one should expect. Not exceptional service by any means but certainly not bad. Just average. Clean and large room with a comfy bed and good shower facility's. Pillows were a bit naff. Breakfast was ok and waited 15 mins for poached eggs which I did not eat as I had finished my meal already.

Painters were outside my room at about 8am talking loudly which really annoyed me! Not worth complaining as I am sure nothing would have been done about it.

Just an average hotel, dont pay too much for this one.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback and my apologies for the disturbance early in the morning.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Second time I have stayed, very nice rooms. Extremely friendly staff.

Bathroom could have been cleaner!!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Laura M
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your second stay with us.

I will of course ensure that your kind words are communicated to the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Had a fab wkd away stayed at the hotel fri & sat nite, on arrival the young lady on reception anya ( i believe ) was very welcoming and polite, the room was very nice clean & warm, we had evening meal in the hotel restaurant which was excellent, working again on sat was the lovely anya (give her a pay rise) can recommend the hotel the location was excellent for shops, bars, restaurants, will be staying again thank you for a fab stay.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank sallysteveh2
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will of course ensure Anya reads your kind review although I cannot promise a payrise!

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed at the Mercure in Southampton for a weekend in November. The highlight of the hotel for us was the lady at reception who was very attentive and friendly, and I remember she was pregnant at the time. All our questions were answered by her with joy: thanks for all your help! Rooms seem to have been recently re-decorated, but they need to be given some more attention - our mattress was very uncomfortable and the curtains had a big stain on them, to give a couple of examples.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elxolas
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay in November.

I appreciate your feedback and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Reviewed 13 February 2012

First of all - the positives.
I have just spent a week at this hotel and it was perfectly comfortable, ideally located, and staffed by friendly people. It is a reasonable hotel and I would consider using it again.
The hotel makes great and legitimate claims re its age and history; and rightly so; and in so doing one could almost get the impression of a quaint old coaching inn with cosy ambience and great character; and this, sadly, is where you would feel let down.
I love old inns and pubs and would generally prefer them to modern, characterless hotels; and when I make such choice I am prepared to forgive creaky floors; old plumbing and the odd bit of faded decor. Such things are a price worth paying for cosy ambience. Sadly however the ambience of the Dolphin could not be described as cosy. The decor is tired, but I can forgive that. Unfortunately it is also unimaginably drab, which I can neither understand nor forgive. If you were to ask a selection of people to give you their ideas of the colour scheme for a quaint coaching inn they would likely come up with rich burgundies; golden yellows and pastel greens. They would also likely make mention of corridors and room walls festooned with old pictures; comfy old sofas and armchairs in the public rooms; occasional tables everywhere with interesting vases and bric a brac. Sadly you get none of this in the Dolphin.
It would appear that the company who own this hotel managed to get a job lot of dismal paint. It was such a good buy that they bought enough to paint the whole hotel with it; so everywhere you go you have some sort of fawn / grey colour on the walls, with dark brown highlights. Ambience is important with a hotel, but unfortunately the plain and drab decor throughout the Dolphin creates an ambience akin to a young offenders' institute.
This impression was heightened in my room with furnishings of the same genre; i.e. instead of a nice, spacious old wardrobe (or even a spacious new one!) I had what can best be described as a locker. I kid you not - this thing was about 10 inches wide and hardly able to contain more than a couple of shirts. I was actually in a double room - so goodness knows what we would have done if Mrs H had been with me with her dresses, skirts etc. Perhaps we would have had to make do with the nice old chest of drawers in the room? Sadly not - and all I had was a couple of shallow desk drawers and even smaller ones in the bedside cabinet. Suffice to say that I lived out of the suitcase.
And returning to the theme of "job lots" I can only assume that the company buyer also got a really good deal on the glass bowls that pass as sinks in the bathrooms. These are very modern, and perhaps expensive, but in addition to being rather impractical, they are completely out of place in an old coaching inn (or a young offenders' institute come to that!).
Breakfast was fine - but can I pass on one further tip to the management. The reason that chefs never wash mushrooms is because they are like sponges and soak up water. Can you imagine therefore what happens to a mushroom that has spent a couple of years in a tin of brine? That's right - it will taste of nothing but water. Quite simply - if you can't serve fresh mushrooms - don't serve them at all.
But to go back to the beginning - this hotel is OK. It is clean and reasonably comfortable, and as my heading indicates - a little thought and effort could transform the place into a real gem. Until then I would suggest that you don't come with romantic images in mind - or too many clothes!
And if the company buyers want to see how to decorate and furnish an old coaching inn - can I suggest a visit to the White Hart in Lincoln, which really is a gem.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a proper wardrobe.