“A Ferrero Rocher served in a old paper bag”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Cardiff
“A Ferrero Rocher served in a old paper bag”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed in this establishment on 25th March, overnight on business. I write these reviews as I find the places I stay, not as an opportunity to spit the dummy and whinge like many treat this site. However, I must say had I paid for this stay myself rather than my company, I probably would have rated it overall as average, rather than very good. I came away reflecting on my stay at this hotel as being a bit like devouring Ferrero Rochers but from an old paper bag. Let me explain............

Mecure is a reputable brand; I have stayed with them once or twice before I was arriving with high expectations in terms of quality and standards. I happened to walk straight past the hotel first of all because from the outside, it doesn't sell itself as a typical Mecure. It's exterior doesn't do the hotel full justice because it looks quite old and dated, and I came to realise that this was precisely part of its character and some may say appeal (although old style hotels don't appeal to me).

To get to the reception, you have to walk half way up a courtyard, and the turning old fashioned style doors are on the left. Inside lives up to the grandeur and vintage appearance that the outside gives - an elaborate grand staircase in front, with old features throughout. I'm not sure what period (as I'm not a historian) but Jane Austin is used as a selling point as apparently she frequented the hotel in her youth.

Given my key, I made my way to the first floor. Exiting the lift, it took me 10 minutes to find my room and that was after asking a cleaner to show me! The first floor is a bit like a rabbit warren - heavy grey doors, with unclear signage as to where rooms are. The corridors were very old and again, the maintenance wasn't to usual Mecure standard. The cleaner led me to my room, which happened to be tucked down a narrow flight of stairs (akin to the type that you get on yachts leading to a gully! Very narrow turn to the room door (be wary of big luggage) and the distance between my door and the door opposite was less than 0.5m. The floor boards in the corridor were extremely squeaky and bounced when you stepped on them.

Inside, the room was extremely stuff (no a/c). Separate toilet and bathroom. Quite dirty titles, old fashioned decor with randomly quite a modern, funky style sink. The shower was one of those fixed ones with a massive shower head, the water was intermittent warm/hot.

However, the furnishings in the room were very modern and comfortable (horrible vertically opened window which the cleaner had to open for me!!), flat screen tv and a lovely double bed. There was a hairdryer, iron/ironing board and safe, kettle with plenty of supplies. Room service was efficient and outstanding manners displayed (felt guilty I didn't leave a tip...). You have to pay a £5 supplement for the tray in room service; considering my company were paying for my meal, I didn't mind as much but I probably would have if I'd have paid the room myself. The food was delicious - excellent standards, one of the most delicious meals. Breakfast equally exquisite (you must try the eggs benedict!!). Choice of hot breakfast with continental available. Both dinner and breakfast is 6.30-9.30 respectively. Again, the staff were incredibly welcoming, polite (everybody was addressed as sir/madam) and the high Mecure standards were maintained.

So, my Ferrero Rocher analogy is basically to say that I enjoyed immensely the high quality and outstanding service I know Mecure for, but within an old establishment that misplaces it slightly. Will return again on business, not sure I'd choose to stay here for what the room prices are. Personally, I'd shop around....

Room Tip: Rooms on the right hand side attract most sunlight and get the stuffiest.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay

I can definately say that I have never heard the hotel described like 'a ferrero rocher in an old paper bag' a very interesting analogy indeed!

Thank you for the contructive feedback, I was delighted to read you found the service to be of a good standard and enjoyed the food, I will of course ensure this feedback is communicated to my team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming to back to the Mercure Southampton centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed one night at the Mercure Dolphin hotel because we had tickets for a show in the Mayflower Theatre. I had specifically selected this hotel due to its central location and parking facilities. Once we arrived there was a clear map outside that indicated how to get to the secure car park.

Although we arrived slightly early we could already check in and got a room at the back of the hotel. The room was spacious and the bed was comfy, but for Dutch standards slightly short ;-)

What we liked about the hotel is that although it is a Mercure, it's not the standard Mercure style building. This building has a lot of character and despite the number of doors we had to go through to get to our room, it does give it a nice atmosphere.

Service at reception and the bar was good, so if we had to go to Southampton again at some stage, we would like to stay here again.

One point of improvement would be to have free wifi for guests. The wifi connection itself was good, but when paying 85 GBP for a room, it would be good service to have wifi included.

Room Tip: The room we had was at the end of a corridor and at the back of the hotel and was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay

I appreciate your constructive comments and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Tasmania
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Due to other factors, I wasn't in the best of moods on arrival but the receptionist was very nice and helpful regarding my booking and also on information about Southampton. The only initial problem I encountered was the number of doors and turns I had to go through to get to my room. On arrival at the room it was worth the effort! Big double bed, plenty of room, and the bathroom was huge.

Very central hotel and the room was clean, the bed very comfy and slept like a log for the 3 nights I was there. I had a couple of drinks at the bar in the hotel and a bit expensive but the company was good and the service was also good.

No problems at all and I would recommend it as it is very central for shops and for walking down to the ferries and along the foreshore.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank WartyTasmania
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear Guest

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and will ensure your feedback is passed onto the receptionist who checked you in.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2012 via mobile

Great central location in Southampton for where I was working with car parking.
Car park is at the back of the hotel and you need to navigate around the one way system. I wasn't clear about this until I pulled up outside the front of the hotel and read the notice.

Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful.

The room was spotlessly clean and well appointed - A credit to the hotel.

When I return back to Southampton I will definitely return here

Stayed March 2012
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I really appreciate your feedback

We hope to welcome you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel on your next visit to the city

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Just stayed at the mecure dolphin and couldnt fault it at all. The location waz perfect right by the shops and port, the check in waz friendly and efficient, hotel spotlessly clean, comfy beds, housekeepers friendly, nice and warm, nice bathroom - we had a lovely time it waz great value and its the only hotel in southampton we'd choose.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Lifes4livin
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

A nice hotel as one should expect. Not exceptional service by any means but certainly not bad. Just average. Clean and large room with a comfy bed and good shower facility's. Pillows were a bit naff. Breakfast was ok and waited 15 mins for poached eggs which I did not eat as I had finished my meal already.

Painters were outside my room at about 8am talking loudly which really annoyed me! Not worth complaining as I am sure nothing would have been done about it.

Just an average hotel, dont pay too much for this one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback and my apologies for the disturbance early in the morning.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Second time I have stayed, very nice rooms. Extremely friendly staff.

Bathroom could have been cleaner!!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Laura M
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your second stay with us.

I will of course ensure that your kind words are communicated to the team.