“Will book elsewhere next time”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Cape Town
“Will book elsewhere next time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Unfortunately the Dolphin Hotel in Southampton fell very far short of expectations on a recent trip to the city. We spent 3 nights in the hotel and if they had not been fully paid for in advance, I would have left the minute we checked into our room. The first room overlooked the fire escape and some noisy extractor or airconditioning ducts. I complained and we were moved to a room overlooking the car park which was not much better but at least had the advantage of natural light.
The hotel seriously needs to be upgraded. The walls in the corridors are chipped and scuffed and the carpets are worn in places. The housekeeping staff did not replace the towels on one of the mornings and when I called reception in the evening to ask for towels, she said that housekeeping was closed for the day. To her credit she responded to my amazed response by finding some towels herself-thank you for this.
The continental breakfast offered a good selection but the food, particularly the fruit salad, was not fresh.
Generally, I would say that discerning travellers could do far better in Southampton.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LEGENDCapeTown
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was very sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us for which I sincereley apologise.

Rest assured your comments will be addressed and taken on board.

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Internet search found me a stay, park and taxi service to the Ocean Terminal at Southampton at a price which suited me very well. Hard to find the car park from my Sat Nav, but managed to get quite close and the very helpful reception staff pointed me in the right direction. Slightly 'undulating' car park with a few potholes to watch out for, but this was the one and only disappointment. Probably never had such a lovely room, 3, yes three windows in my ground floor room, with very comfortable twin beds, a spotlessly clean bathroom, and a great breakfast to set me up for the day. The taxi service used, West Quay were very efficient both to and from the hotel, and chatty drivers. All reception staff I met were so helpful and cheerful throughout my stay, even though there was a wedding party taking place when I arrived.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, nice and central, not far from the main shopping areas and West Quay Shopping Mall.

Room Tip: I has room 1, ground floor adjacent to the passageway to the car park. Nice and quiet. Front facing...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Robert H
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the feedback about the car park.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Merucre Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel before your next cruise.

Kind regards

Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

The Mercure Dolphin Hotel is in the perfect location, right in the centre of Southampton. All the staff were excellent, the room was small but very suitable for a week end break

Room Tip: we were in room 118 and did not hear a thing all night
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith H
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I will of course ensure your feedback is passed onto the team and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel very soon.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Nice modern room, with modern bathroom in building with plenty of character. Centrally located. Only problem was minor street noise early on if you are roadside.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I was plased to read you enjoyed your stay and hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to the city.

Suffield, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

We departed from Southampton on the Queen Mary 2 on April 27.

The hotel is located in he center of the area where the cruise ships dock. (The docks are spread out along a half mile strip).

Founded in 1433 they have been providing service in a slightly kinky hotel that has grown up over time. As a result the room layouts were a bit odd but worked well. In typical european fashion they charge a lot for intent access but in the restaurant/bar a couple of doors away the food is relatively inexpensive and the internet is free.

The dining room was a good pleasant place to eat for dinner but was busy and needed to have a reservation. The seemed to be struggling a bit the night we were there.

A couple of blocks away is a good size mall with a variety of stores for supplies you may need prior to boarding the ship.

We asked for a late checkout after the 11:00 time and they cheerfully said " Sure". When asked what time I would like they answered "Sure. After 12:00 is is 20£ an hour". But you can stack luggage in the lobby for free so we took that tack while we went out for lunch.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep late get a room on the back of the hotel as the front is busy early in the morn...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

We really appreciate your feedback it was great to read you enjoyed your stay.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin again before your next cruise.

Stirling
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We booked a room through booking.com, then decided to upgrade to a suite, breakfast, parking and transfers package, as we were cruising from Southampton. We upgraded through the hotel and got what we saw as a bargain. We were not disappointed.
The reception staff were so polite, especially Anya who checked us in. Our suite was a revelation. A huge bed, walk in wardrobe, ironing board everything you'd expect be be provided was provided.
It had a small sitting room at the end of a small corridor with the bathroom off to the left. A sofa and 2 chairs and a largeish TV too. The bedroom was massive, plenty of space to move about.

My husband is a bit of a Tea belly and used up all the milk provided in the room, so I sked at reception if we could have some more and she brought us a jug of fresh milk. I apologise to the young lady as I can't remember her name. But excellent customer service.

Breakfast next morning was a great surprise too. I never hold out too much hope for hotel breakfast's, but this one was brilliant. Whatever you could want for breakfast be it cereals, fresh juice or full english and toast, they had it there, and fresh tea and coffee, as much as you wanted.

I only have one negative thing to say about this hotel and it really is just me being niggly here. That is the bathroom has beautiful cornicing and olde worlde decor, then they spoilt it a little by putting an ultra modern turquoise basin and modern taps in. Such a shame!!! But I must reiterate it did not detract from the overall helpfulness and friendliness of this hotel.

I would recommend it to anyone and will definately be staying there again when we cruise again.

1 Thank wilkinwonder
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

i was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments about the team, that I will ensure are passed on.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel before your next cruise.

Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We had a 2 night stay courtesy of Red Funnel Steamers (thank you). Real charachter hotel in great location. Tad tricky to find car park.The £4 daily charge is very reasonable though. Location is really ideal for shops, museums etc,The staff really were GREAT - friendly considerate and a genuine sense of making us feel welcome. The management, check in & resturant staff all made our stay really special. They left a lovely card and some chocolates in our room. These extra rouches were really appreciated. The ground floor room we had was lovely. Bit noisy at times from people in room above walking around and creaking doors but hey this is a 500 year hotel with amazing charecter and history so this was minor.
We can very highly reccomend the hotel. Thank you everyone for making our anniversary so special

1 Thank Robin G
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your anniversary stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will ensure your kind words are communicated to the team.

I hope we have the pleasure of wlecoming you back for your anniversary next year.

Kind regards