“Customer sevice - non existant!”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My husband and I were going on cruise and decided that we would start our holiday off by staying in a recommended hotel. We paid £146 for this. I wouldn't normally pay this price. I found the whole experience terrible. We booked in and was not helped with our luggage, the receptionist indicated by a nod of the head that the lift was round the corner! We found our room which was situated at the rear of the hotel, the toilet was dirty, there was no coffee, tea or milk to have a drink. When we went to bed we had the window open due to the warm weather, we had to close it as it was so noisy because of a beer garden and rowdy revellers.In the morning we went down for breakfast, we waited at least 10 minutes before someone came and asked whether we would like tea or coffee. When we went to get our breakfast there was nothing left, we waited a further 10mins before anyone replenished the empty dishes. We sat outside after breakfast and I looked up and one of the windows was being held open with an upturned ice bucket with a toilet roll on it. The check out was traumatic too, dirty bed linen littered the corridors together with chatting girls with legs outstretched (who didn't move or offer to help). If I hadn't already pre-paid I would have asked for a discount. I know that I would never recommend this hotel to anyone I would tell them to use the Travel Lodge!!! I did write a letter of complaint and I was offered a free night's stay, err NO THANK YOU!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsM0ke
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I am sorry to read of your poor experience, for which I sincerley apologise. As you note I have made contact with you by letter to address your concerns, i do hope you will reconsider my offer so we can prove your experience is not a true refelction of the service we offer.

Neil Brailsford

Write a ReviewReviews (1,610)

Reviewed 29 July 2012

I used to look forwards to staying at the Dolphin in it's independent days, it was quirky and by no means perfect but I forgave it as it was fun, and different. Now it's just dull, and not particularly good.

It's not all bad. Whoever owns it will never be able to spoil a great location, in the heart of Southampton's best restaurants and bars, and handy for the port, bus station, and not too far from the train station. It also has its own car park, although as with all the city's hotels this is no longer free. You also can't be sure of a space.

Breakfast was also pretty good, although the cooked version was certainly not cheap.

The room, however, was deeply disappointing. I stayed in a 4th-floor room during the hottest week of the year and it was stiffling - the room being in the attic where all of the day's heat had risen to. The only option was to open the small sash window as far as it would go, which meant that I was kept away by the noise of revellers at the pavement bar opposite, and then woken by the early morning busses and dustbin lorry. I'm not a big fan of air conditioning, but it needs to be available in a room of this price for nights like these. The bed was not uncomfortable, but the duvet and pillows were flat and cheap-feeling so all in all these were not the best night's sleep by a long way.

In the past the shortcomings of this hotel were masked by the interesting use of works by local artists in all of the bedrooms, and in the public areas. Now, sadly, the Dolphin has very little to recommend it and I shall only be staying here as a last resort.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor attic/oven/sound effects studio!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I was sorry to read there were elements of your stay that were not up to our usual high standards for which I apologise.

Clearly the hotel is very different now but I do hope we will get the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed at some 15 different Accor properties whilst on our holiday tour of the UK. All properties without exception welcomed us on our arrival and had our booking that was made and paid for in advance in January from Australia, ready for our quick checkin.
Food, room and service was excelent.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank John G
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and the oher Accor properties and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel on your next visit to the country

Reviewed 27 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Myself, my husband and 3 children stayed in the family room on Saturday 21st July. On arrival we were unsure how/where to park using the hotel "car park" - no designated parking made it a nightmare to know where you could park with limited spaces. On arrival I mentioned to the receptionist we were unsure where to park as it seemed so many cars had blocked others in - how dare I even mention it, the glare I received and sarcastic comment of "if you have been in the car park which you obviously have to make such a comment you would have seen it is being updated at the moment" no response from myself to that as I was totally shocked by the way I was addressed!
Receptionist then continued in her frosty manner to tell us all the info we needed to know, room number breakfast time act.... room departure 11am I showed her that my booking confirmation stated 12 - wrong of me to talk again I suspect as the next unpleasant comment followed "well so you want to check out at 12 then?" - No its fine I'm already feeling like I'm not wanted here (this is what I thought I didn't dare speak again) so again I didn't respond and just went to our room.

Room was spacious had everything we needed for our night stay double sofa bed out and cot ready for the children so no problems there - goody packs for the children which was a nice touch on the chest of drawers at the end of the children's bed - along with the kettle and mugs for hot drinks (probably not the most strategic place for such items but hey easily moved).

Beds were really comfortable, lots of clean towels and toiletries left. But......the room was very, very ho, above the kitchens maybe? Opened the windows and then got the waft of smoke from the downstairs where the hotel has left tables and chairs for smokers - not very nice at all!

The room overall was not very well maintained the toilet water rose every time you flushed it and I kept worrying it was going to actually spill and go all over the floor (but it didn't)! The sink was not secured to the wall properly and was very wobbly and the tap was connected properly either - as I said in title shabby!
There was also a step leading into the bathroom where the carpet was falling off and exposed sharp tiles - again another health and safety hazard for the children more so than ourselves.
And lots of other little things like cobwebs ect things you do not expect from a Mercure hotel 4 Star!

After a nights sleep, packing up before breakfast I asked my husband my husband to check under the valance sheet on our bed to ensure we had everything and he pulled out a filtlhy shoe (not ours) - absolutely disgusting, oh and a children's board game!!!! I told him to stop looking as it made my skin crawl to think of what else he might have found! Cleanliness yet another thing that needs to be improved a log with all the chipped paintwork!!

The breakfast I must say was lovely - fresh, fantastic vareity to choose from you name it they had it - best breakfast I have ever had at a hotel.

I can't imagine how this hotel was awarded 4 stars I've been in 3 stars and these have been SO much better.

Yes my husband did complain but again unhelpful, unfriendly staff made it even more disheartening and we had already pre paid so we checked out, left unhappy and would not return.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ksouthey
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback clealry there are some issues which will be addressed with my team I apologise for the poor impression you have gained

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel to prove your experience is not reflective of the high standards we offer.

Kind regards

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel in 2011 and had a pleasant stay but were impressed by the refurb of the rooms when we returned this year. Our room was more like a mini-suite - very spacious. Only drawback was the up and down stairs approach to the room - difficult with suitcases. To be fair the receptionist offered to have our bags taken up and we declined.

The hotel is very handy for the town centre and a short taxi ride to the port - which was our reason for staying there.

Room Tip: A room onto the street could be noisy late at night when pubs finished.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathie S
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and could see the difference in the property following the redevelopment programme.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Booked over the phone by a very pleasant ever helpful lady who managed to find 2 quiet rooms at the back of the hotel and one very good double room on the ground floor...ideal for someone who prefers not to climb any stairs or use the lift. Can recommend rooms 112, 115 (2nd floor) and 27(ground floor) . The room decor is a little dull but it is a clean and comfortable place to stay. We did like the wash basins! I was surprised to see they wanted £50 to start a tab but ok.food in the restaurant was varied in choice and good quality . Breakfast ..buy the promotion the night before if it is available . Oh and fresh milk for tea and coffee ... Huge thanks

Room Tip: All you need to do is ask for a quiet room an you get one! Yes there is no air con but the fans are...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and you enjoyed the rooms you were allocated.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Kind regards