“Excellent”

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed for one night prior to our cruise and did the park and cruise for eight nights deal which included breakfast which was excellent value for money.We received an up grade on arrival which was an added bonus, the staff on reception were friendly and helpful .Car park manager was great making sure our car was parked safely while we were away.The staff at the hotel couldnt of been more helpful i would stay at this hotel again and recommend it to friends and family.

1 Thank ann_marie670
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay wih us.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and found the park and cruise package to be of great value, I will of course ensure your feedback is communicated to the team

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel before your next cruise

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Norwich
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This was the first vibrating hotel I've ever stayed in, always the sound and rumble of a bathroom fan or kitchen extractor going off somewhere also bit 'wrong end of town' The lap dancing club across the road gave that away !
That said the staff were great, friendly, efficient and really helpful and the food was tasty and good value. I would stay again but take my ear plugs .

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback that is very important to us, I will ensure your thoughts are communicated with my team

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We spent one night here in a 'family room' on the ground floor. Steps up / down, to / from ground floor hallway / bedrooms that contained our room so not ideal for buggy / wheelchair users. Hotel staff told us that no ramp was available for ease of independent access / exit from these areas but we were assisted with lifting buggy and oxygen cylinder by the hotel staff. Our en-suite family room was spacious, modern, clean & comfortable. Although there was no air conditioning in our bedrooms, tabletop fans were available but with little effect on the current heatwave. The children’s beds were adequate fold-out beds, low to the floor and very noisy at the slightest movement - i would question their suitability for the older / heavier child.
Staff were friendly & helpful, choice & quality of breakfast on offer was superb. The decor & style of the interior of the hotel look recently refurbished, clean & restful. The exterior is a period property, clean and tidy. Signage for the car park to the rear of the hotel is not clearly visible from the main road at the front of the property so ensure you have directions / map of how to reach it, before you arrive! Entrance to the hotel lobby from the car park is along a cobble style walkway with seating to either side.

Room Tip: Use my revue as a guide to ask the questions we didnt, before you book! Signage for the car park to...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DITZY34
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and in particular the quality and selction of breakfast, I will ensure your feedback is communicated to the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

manchester, uk
Reviewed 19 August 2012

the cruise deal was worth the money. Reception staff were good. The rooms were tiny and raging hot. As a group booking you would have thought we would be near each other but we were scattered all over the hotel. Some rooms difficult to access too. parking was easy and transfers with local taxi company arranged by hotel. Breakfast the next morning was appaling, slow service, running out of items, all items not available at same, bacon not cooked properly and snotty eggs. Breakfast staff looked harrassed and grumpy.

Room Tip: ground floor are better
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I apreciate your feedback and I would like to assure you that, your points particularly those about breakfast, will be addressed with my team.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back before you next cruise departure.

Reviewed 14 August 2012 via mobile

The girlfriend booked and payed for a room here dorky birthday. Have to say the parking was rite behind the hotel.
The room was quite big with a high ceiling and was quite impressed. The view from the window was a bit poor though.
Good hotel and would stay again

• Stayed September 2011
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel on your next birthday.

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Me and my girlfriend have stayed here several times (5 or 6) in the past and have always been happy with our stay, unfortionatly this was not quite the case on this occasion (Sunday 5th August 2012)

We went to check in as normal and was told the room was not yet ready, not a problem we went and walked around for 30 minutes, we came back and was in room 015, so we headed off to the room and opened the door.

May I add here that we had booked a Suite and upon opening the door it was clear this was not a suite, it was a normal Standard room, my girlfriend called Reception to ask why we had this room and was told the receptionist had put a wedding couple in our suite..

We had booked this room on the 14th June so this was nearly 2 momths in advance, the receptionist was friendly however and said he would see if any other suites were available, he called back to tell us they were not any available but there was a room with a small separate living area (room 201) which although was still not what we paid for, it was closer to it so we accepted.

The room was clean and a nice size, but obviously not a Suite, the room became unbearably hot at night which we knew this place got very warm but this was the worst we have had it, the toliet seemed to have other ideas besides flushing properly, many attempts at this did eventually succeed but this is not pleasent, also the location of the room means you can bear the chine from the lift cearly above the television.

I am a bit dissapointed as it seems we were kicked out of the room we had and placed in something below without discussion beforehand, had i known this i would have challenged this at Reception in the first place.

The hotel is still nice otherwise with its little quirks and creaks which gives it character, the heat is still a problem but i know air con is not really possible because of the buildings age.

Would we come back, we probably would, would be wary though if i booked a suite again would i actually get it

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Mr Bond

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I was very concerned to read of the mix up with your room allocation for which I sincerley apologise. I am aware you have stayed with us on a regular basis and have always enjoyed your visits I am very sorry that this was not the case last weekend.

We have made notes on your profile to ensure this does not happen again and I hope you will stay with us again at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This Dolphin is a very historic hotel, passed guests are said to include Queen Victoria, and Admiral Lord Nelson. Jane Austen also celebrated her 18th birthday in 1793. The hotel is also said to have 6 resident ghosts, none of which I seen during my stay !
Due to the hotel building being very old, the rooms do not have any air conditioning. Fans are available to use if you make the request to reception.
The hotel is also a prime location for functions and wedding receptions, so be aware that because of this, extra noise may be heard from party guests, as well as from the normal street noise, especially at weekends.
The Dolphin is in a very central location, almost next door to a Weatherspoons pub, and at the end of the main shopping street in Southampton.
Tea/coffee making facilities (fresh milk on request), Iron and Ironing board, Safe are provided in the room. T.V. has all the freeview channels. A powerful shower and plenty of hot water. The beds I would say are medium /soft .
Breakfast is a choice of Continental or Full English, plenty to choose from. I would recommend waiting until you check in at the hotel as this can often be offered at a discounted rate.
The best thing about this hotel I found was the staff, who with all my undertakings I found to be very friendly, helpful, polite, and understanding. A credit to the Accor group !

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building. (less street noise)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at The Mercre Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will ensure your kinds words are communicated to my team

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon

kid regards