“family wedding”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Stayed for two nights in this hotel. Room was very good and all the equipment worked.The maid service was excellent. Although their was a limited amount of staff everyone could not do enough to help you when needed. Although the hotel was a bit dated and could do with a referbishment. staff were excellent and all meals were of a high standard as was the breakfast. Would have no hesitation in staying here again. Only down side was not used to waking up with screeching seagulls.

Room Tip: choose above 1st floor cause floor squeaks.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank carol d
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and will of course ensure your kind words are communciated to the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon

There are newer reviews for Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin

Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed at the Dolphin on the 28/09 and 29/09 for our Wedding in the Jane Austen suite.

Check in was effortless, and soooo helpful, nothing was too much for any of the staff.

The suite 204 was brilliant and bigger than I excepted! It had a bedroom, bathroom and a separate living area, and had two flat screen TV's. It was clean and very comfortable.

The staff set up the room for the wedding, and it was truly beautiful, and they were more than happy for me to help.

The wedding day, every one was happy to help with all my needs, getting ready.

All the wedding guests were very impressed with hotel too.

Breakfast was just enough and it's buffet and it was laid out in a way that was easily accessible, there is also a choice of continental and cooked, and replenished frequently.

Personally I did not hear any noise from the clubs/pubs nearby by as i have read in other reviews but what needs to remembered is the hotel is something like 400 years old and was there first and well established. Also the convenience. To town has to be taken into account.

Parking is £4.00 for 24 hours, this is extremely reasonable for southampton parking, you will pay more, and if you use else where you will have some way to walk.

I have thanked the staff with a card, as there are certain members who truly stand out.

But thank you for making our day the most truly magical day of our life.

Kindest Regards

B Rickman

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank bonnru

Dear Mrs Rickman

thank you so much for your kind words

The whole team are delighted that you had a day to remember, it was a real pleasure to host your special day.

We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

We extended a short trip down to the south coast and booked for a night in the Dolphin so we could experience Southampton. I had my Satnav so no issues finding the hotel with just one issue which was it directed me to the front of the hotel and the car park was at the rear so just a small 3-point turn to drive around to that. The hotel has a nice walk through from the car park to reception which has a courtyard effect and you walk between the rooms on either side, I liked it, it had character. It also has some history with Queen Victoria and Admiral Lord Nelson having stayed there and if it was good enough for them it was good enough for us.. Seriously though, sadly we saw none of the ghosts reputed to be in the hotel and as we had a long drive the following day up to our friends in the Cotswolds didn't even get any spirits in the bar..hoho.. The reception staff were polite and helpful and efficient. The hotel has a nice creaky feel to it due to its age and although the walk to the room was through various corridors it meant we had a nice view over the walk-through I mentioned earlier. The room was excellent and appeared to be quite new or renovated. The bathroom was nice and shower was fine. As a place to use as a base for visiting the city I'd recommend it.. Close by we had a meal in the Rasraj on Oxford street, excellent great food excellent service, only two chaps working in the restaurant with about 14 covers and it was a great dining experience, the atmosphere was perfect, the restaurant is on a corner and you get the feel it was once a bank or something like that, the food comes up via a dumb waiter so no kitchens in site.. its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel so great location. I'd definitely visit the Dolphin again and it's the first time of staying in a Mercure hotel and wont be the last..

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the walk-through it was a nice view for a centre-city hotel..
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NovaChap
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Dear Guest

I really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the character of this wonderful buidling.

It is great to read you would like to stay again so we hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Excellent staff, really helpful ( when they could be) and polite. Could do with more though, although not busy, the waitress appeared to be struggling - gaps between courses very long, like a gap for a rest! but was sat with no beverage inbetween, or offered a beverage, staff always appeared to be rushing. The starter was cold, but was def clearly warmed up in microwave, as the chicken I had bitten into wad still there! Eventually I managed to get hold of staff to mention it!
Rooms fab, and clean, very modern but cosy. Hotel lovely, great outside and inside comfortable and cosy near to everything, shops, restaurants etc. We would stay here again, but unfotunatly the food lets it down

• Stayed: September 2012
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

Whilst not wishing to make excuses we did have some challanges on Saturday night which did unfortunately result in our service and food levels not being at their highest standards for which I sincereley apologise.

I can however assure you that this is not common place and I do hope you will choose to eat with us again here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel so we can prove this to you.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Okay so I have stayed in many hotels across the country and whilst most of these have been 5 star I wasnt going with high expectations but I was totally unimpressed! First of all I couldnt find my way to the hotel car park and ended up parking in the street opposite, which actually worked out quite well as it turned out to be cheaper than the hotels car park which they charge you for! So first of all if you go I would park in the street opposite in the blue banded area, if you aim to get there after 4pm you only pay for 2 hours then it is free until 8am in the next day!

Check in was quite pleasant, although I was pointed to the lift and never really confirmed as to what floor and the actual destination of my room! No word of what was on offer for evening meal and where we could get this either.

Our room was on the first floor, 107 and was extremely hot, the heating wasnt on and opening the window fully didnt really help the situation. They had put in a camp bed for my daughter, I wouldnt of let her sleep on it for fear of her having an accident, it wasnt safe by any means and she ended up sleeping in the double bed with me and using the camp bed for her teddy bears!

The room was okay, bed was comfy, fresh linen and tea and coffee available. Another grumble though £12 for Internet! Are they having a laugh! I was paying £89 a night! The TV.....well the channels were all over the place! Not a good reception at all really.

Breakfast though was good, good selection and my wee girl enjoyed it. However at night we fel forced to go outside of the hotel to look for food, one night ending up in the local Weatherspoon and the second night at Burger King!

I cant fault the location, the hotel however I feel have a few standards which have slipped somewhat. I didnt feel it was a safe location and not very family friendly.

I dont think they can justify the £89 a night rate they ask, would I stay again? Probably not!

Room Tip: Ask for something around the back of the hotel...and a fan!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

These points will be discussed with my team to help us improve the quality of service and facilities we offer our guests.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Stayed for 2 nights sun / mon after taking daughter to university.double room at back of hotel was good value clean and nicely furnished.large car park and polite efficient staff. Breakfast a little over priced at £10 but otherwise a lovely hotel and in a perfect location for the city centre .one word of warning as next door to club would suggest not a good idea having room at front of hotel fri sat sun

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2012

Dear Guest

Really aprecaite all your feedback and will ensure your kind words are communciated to the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Spent three nights at the Mercure Southampton, whilst on business there. Very good welcome upon my arrival. Breakfasts were excellent, with an excellent buffet selection along with a good selection from the menu. Rooms were very clean. Bathrooms were slightly dated but still very clean. Entertainment in the bar was very good on one of the evenings. Would recommend anyone who needs a good business hotel to stay at the Dolphin Mercure Southampton Centre.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found the breakfast to be good quality.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.