“Good city centre hotel”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
“Good city centre hotel”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here on business for 2 nights in October, room was comfortable and modern with a quirky in layout. Only criticism would be the lack of working area as the tea tray took up most of the space on the table . Food was tasty and reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Tillycass
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Your comments have been noted and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I checked into the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, about a 20-25 minute walk from Southampton Central Rail Station. Upon arrival, I went through all the usual protocol. I was greeted by the team, who initally struggled to find my reservation. OK - granted, probably not the easiest to find with (a) a common surname, or (b) with the number of identical reservation paper slips. I then received my room key and took the lift up to the first floor, as I had a heavy bag with me (not because I am lazy). I had to walk down a maze of corridors, through about four doors, and down several small sets of stairs (not convenient with my heavy bag) to my room. Now, I don't mind being in a back room, but as an Accor Hotels Le Club silver member and a loyal Mercure guest, I was a bit surprise I had been hidden away - not the sort of room I tend to get if I had stayed at other Mercure hotels in London (London Bridge or Bloomsbury, for example). In addition, had I got mobility issues, it may have been somewhat difficult to get to/from my room.

The room was OK on size, not great, but it had a coffee/tea station, a sizeable wardrobe with a safe and an ironing board and iron (most convenient - saves requesting one from reception), and a desk and coffee table with seating. One thing I did notice was the temperature of the room; quite cold for the end of October (about 4°c overnight). So, I (not in a very eco-conscious manner) whacked on the heating to help heat the room up. At that point, I heard a lot of footsteps, the sound of cars screeching off (from the car park behind the hotel), and people passing under my room window. The windows, although I am not an expert, looked to be only single-glazed (not good for those on a business trip or those wanting some peace and quiet). I then received a phone call from the reception team stating that they had forgotten to take a 'pre-authorisation' of my credit card. Now, I understand, on your first day, you can forget things, but this meant that I had to leave what I was doing (reviewing important documents for the following day's meeting) and go back to reception so they could process my credit card. Now - why couldn't they process it using the information I used to secure my booking online?

Now, there is one thing I should really point out: I was quite surprised that when I rung room service to order a drink, they stated that it would be an extra £5 'tray charge' (the cost of bringing an item to your room) on top of the £3.85 drink I was hoping to order. So, duly, I took all my paperwork headed down to the bar to get my drink (as there was no in-room mini-bar). Just a bit inconvenient - bearing in mind I have already been down once before (unnecessarily). OK - one positive is, that the service in the bar is very good, and the furniture is very comfortable.

Now, needless to say, I thought that ordering a £8 club sandwich and then paying an additional £5 tray charge was out of the question,so I headed across the road and got a takeaway instead. OK - I was intending on a fish and chips, but after trawling the streets of Southampton Old Town and the Westquay shopping centre and finding n-amount of KFCs and Burger Kings, I settled on a Chinese instead. Although, I have to say, I did feel a touch guilty taking a takeaway into the hotel! OK, in my defence, this is where the issue of economics comes in: yes, the hotel cannot be blamed for its proximity to poor quality fast-food restaurants; however, £13 for a sandwich is quite ridiculous (even prices in London would struggle to rival that), so a takeaway was the only option.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a restful night, mainly because of the general noise generated outside, and the cold temperatures, because even after nearly five hours, the radiator had not heated up the room sufficiently enough. Yes - not very eco-friendly, but if it had been a double-glazed room with a more efficient heating system, the over use of the radiator may not have been completely necessary...

When I did come to check out (05:50am), because I had an early train to catch, I left my room, and headed down to reception. This is where a raft of niggling issues arose. Firstly, I had, on check-in, requested a Times newspaper which hadn't arrived before I left. Now, I have received newspapers all over the world before 05:00am, so was a bit surprised to not find one waiting for me. Secondly, I had, on arrival, specified that I would be leaving relatively early, and had a train to catch. When I came down, I saw a telephone and a mobile number that I had to call. Now, this has never been something I had to before, and as a result delayed me by approximately 5 minutes. OK - not a long time in the grand scheme of things, but could have major implications if one is walking to the train station to catch a specific train. Finally, the reservation (computer) system was down and the night porter (receptionist) could not access it. This meant that, even though I didn't have to give my credit card over again, I had to leave the hotel (a) in a rush, but (b) not in the full knowledge of what I had been charged for, or whether my newspaper had been taken off my account. Yes - I did received my invoice via e-mail soon after, but just slightly disconcerting not knowing what I could have been charged for.

OK - this is not supposed to be a rant. I did like the old, exposed wooden beams in some of the corridors, and the bar services was very good. The hotel is very pretty (OK - looks more like an Inn/pub-restaurant that a 3*/4* hotel from the outside) But, the drinks were somewhat overpriced, the 'tray charge' would only be justified if you ordered a £50 dinner (although you could have ordered an extra drink if you had gone down to the restaurant yourself), and the service was welcoming, but at times frustrating due to sloppy reception protocol.

For a business trip: I would struggle to give it any more than a 2 out of 5.

Room Tip: If you want have the money to, pay for a suite or Privilege room as they are likely to be warmer and...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such an extensive review of your stay here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I would like to assure you that all your points will be discussed and addressed with my team and it is through such feedback that we can constantly review and improve the service and facilities we offer.

I was pleased to read there were some positive elements of your stay and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Neil Brailsford

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed here for one night as we were passing through.

The hotel is well located, in the middle of the city and within walking distance of many of Southampton's attractions.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and our stay was good value for money. The hotel is located in an older building but has been well maintained. The building was apparently host to Jane Austin's 18th birthday which was a fun piece of trivia.

We didn't mention this to the staff at the time, but for some reason, we were unable to get hot water in our shower (kind of a problem...). The fittings only used one tap (just a single hot/cold tap), which we couldn't figure out how to actually use to get hot water. We ended up having baths instead.

One minor complaint is the lack of free internet. This is becoming standard across all hotels internationally, and I would like to encourage Accor/Mecure to join in. Internet is quickly becoming essential for most travellers and there is no need to price gouge guests for the privilege to access it.

I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Southampton.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael M
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay with us.

I really appreciate your feedback and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel on your next visit to the city.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Stayed here for just one night in Oct 2012. Charming, old style hotel. Nothing to flashy but very comfortable. Creaking floors etc just add to the charm. Didn't eat in restaurant but looked like a nice place for a meal.

Staff very helpful. Great location. Good value. No complaints.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JamesLo1981
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 3 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your thoughts following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming back to the Mercure Southampton Cente Dolphin Hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I have only stayed one night in the Mercure Dolphin hotel but I have really liked the stay. I think the staff deserves top mark: very friendly and happy to help. Thumbs up to the friendly lady at the reception desk!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank xav_abc
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I will pass on your kind words to the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel in the future.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Stay here on Sat 27th Oct. Check in good staff really helpful. The room clean well presented and modern. The buffet style breakfast included in the room rate was also excellent, with freshly cooked eggs and bacon regularly replaced.
The location is also good with a 2 minute pleasant walk to the town centre. Will definately go back there again next time I'm in Southampton. There's also parking on site.

Room Tip: There was talk of rooms facing the pedestrian area being noisy, but I stayed there on a Saturday nig...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Tim H
Dear Guest

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the city.

east sussex
Reviewed 31 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed for a couple of days at the Dolphin with my kids during half term as a base to meet up with family. I can give the staff here top marks, they bent over backwards to help us & made our stay an exceptional one. They really are the most friendly, helpful team you can imagine & they all work as one team, from the receptionists, waiters & waitresses, kitchen staff, housekeeping staff & management, we encountered them all & they all deserve a great big Thankyou from us! Thankyou all at the Dolphin!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank wolfie145
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review, I was delighted to read your kind comments about the team and the high level of service you received and I will of course ensure this feedback is communicated to the team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel on your next trip to the city.