“Not a 4 star but okay for the price”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
London, United Kingdom
“Not a 4 star but okay for the price”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I booked a double room 6 months prior to arrival so got a good price of £50.00 for the night, and i'm very happy i didnt pay more. Location is great and £4 for the car park isn't anything to moan about. The room itself was a lot smaller than anticipated, though the bed was comfy and the room was clean. The hairdryer wasn't very good (smelt like burning hair) and for a 4 star hotel i expected a bit more than just one sachet of shampoo/conditioner, I didn't think to bring my own as usualy a 4 star supplies these. Our room (306) was facing the high street so noise was ofcourse expected, but nowhere near as much as we got! Double glazed windows wouldnt go a miss. Fortunately we weren't back until about 3am anyway, which is where we were most shocked, because we were locked out! We got out the taxi and the main door was blocked by a huge padlocked gate, so having to walk around in the pouring rain we had to walk right round the back entrance by the car park, which gate was also closed (luckily not locked) and go in the back way. There was no nightporter to be seen so security was a bit of a concern aswell. For the price i paid and the fact it was only one night to get a few hours sleep, it was fine, but i really did expect more for a Mercure Hotel and wouldn't choose to stay here again. I actually prefer Etap at £39 a room!

Room Tip: 306 is very noisy as its facing the front
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 11 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I really appreciate your feedback.

In regards to your return in the early hours the gates are locked for security reasons and is in no means meant to 'lock anyone out', on the front gate is a door bell that needs to be pressed and the night team will let you into the hotel. There is also a mobile number printed at the front that can also be used.

Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope you will return to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Booked this hotel as a 1 night trip away as a birthday present for my other half , was really pleased to find 4 star accom with breakfast for £61 !!! Living in Portsmouth we were quite familiar with Southampton and made a dinner reservation with a restaurant about a 5 min walk away for 830 pm . Travelling up after work we aimed to arrive around 730 pm drop our bags in freshen up and make our way to the restaurant . Unfortunately not . When producing our documents at check in it was becoming apparant to myself and the small line of guests to be checked in that something was not running to plan , receptionist then adv that she did not have a reservation and went off to find a manager for some further investigation , having already pre paid and had clear documentation showing this all be it through a third party booking agent i was not to concerned althou was starting to feel slightly embarrassed about the queue forming behind me .
After about 5 mins manager appearred with receptionist , cue more puzzled looks and discussions between the 2 of them ,outcome me being told that the reservation could not be found and they were unable to contact the booking agent at that time 8 pm being conscious of the upcoming dinner reservation I was told that as I clearly had paymnt deducted and accomm voucher the hotel would accommodate us (how generous) but as standard room rate was £99 they would need a pre authorisation to hold this money of my debit card .
Now by this time late for restaurant having to call and ask them to hold the table , i handed over my card , and check in process finally began , but with no time to freshen up or even check out our room we headed out for our meal .
Cue a slightly spoiled birthday meal due to me actually realising what had just happened and moaning about it to my other half for most of the meal , choosing not to carry on our evening as i was worked up now we headed back to the hotel where i was ready to disucuss matter further with reception . Before we even reached the desk the same lady from earlier stated they had found our reservation and cancelled our pre auth although this may take a few days when pushed further she did admit the mix up was due to Mercure and not the booking agent or myself and was buried deep in another system althou apologetic and extremely nice natured i do feel that as the hotel was found to be at fault perhaps in this situation something more than an apology was required as it did impact greatly on our evening perhaps upgrade from standard double , a drink at the bar nothing amazing but something to make amends
Having said this we loved the hotel we were allocated room 15 on ground floor think may be the one on the profile pic as looks almost identical great size , huge bed , nice temp , clean could not fault it , we were at back of property it looks like so no noise issues and a good nights sleep was had .
In morning awoken few times by slamming doors early am but understand this could be guests and not staff so not really an issue made our way to breakfast , again impressed wide variety , buffet style , food was good , hot , nice setting , little touches flowers on table , ambience lightening made all difference , tables seemed to be cleared efficently , good atmosphere and host in eyeshot all the time .
Grabbing our bags we headed to check out to which a diff receptionist dealt with us when she took our name the response was "Oh Mr .... we were just talking about you " obv about the events of the previous night but this again left a bitter taste in our mouths and confirmed that it did seem to be a talking point amongst check in .
Overall we had a really nice stay at the hotel , and had it not been for the events of them losing our reservation and the time spent trying to rectify this leaving a lasting impact on our evening and the lack of what we feel appropriate resolution to make us feel like a genuine apology was meant not to mention the hotel still having a hold on my money for next 2 days unneccessarily until cancellation goes through we would have voted this much higher .
It has marred our visit .
What a shame a one off incident and way it was dealt with was the only thing we could find fault with . If all had gone to plan it would have been excellent value for excellent service and we would have returned for another stay .

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

I am very concerned to read of the problems you encountered with your reservation for which I sincereley apologise. I will be personally investigting the matter but would like to assure you that such issues are not common place at the hotel.

I was pleased to read that apart from this issue you did enjoy the hotel and I do hope you will choose to stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolpin Hotel in the future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

A colleague and I stayed here for one night on a business trip as it was a reasonable price and had good reviews. it's a nice looking hotel with a friendly atmosphere. We didn't try the bar or restaurant as we were meeting other colleagues, but they looked inviting.
We had rooms on the top (4th) floor. Mine had a bit of a view over towards the docks, but be aware that the lift only goes to the 3rd floor so you have to carry your bags up a couple of small flights. Wasn't a problem for us with our small bags.
Room decorated nicely and a decent size with a double bed. Colleagues of ours booked into the Star (a few doors away) for the same price and they only got single beds in tiny rooms. Comparing notes, our hotel was far superior.
We only wanted somewhere cheap to eat out, so went to the Wetherspoons (Standing Order) a couple of doors away - cheap and cheerful. Tuesday night is steak night, with steak and a drink for less than £7. there did seem to be several restaurants nearby.
the hotel is old, so there isn't any soundproofing between the rooms and the floors are really creaky. Glad I was on the top floor so I didn't have anyone creaking above me.
Breakfast was a hot and cold buffet with an impressive range of food - cereals, fruit, bread, cooked breakfast items etc. My only criticism is that the tomatoes and mushrooms were covered with pepper which not everyone likes. There wasn't a big supply of hot food out, but it was replenished as necessary and therefore was fresh.
I'd stay again whether for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: the front rooms on the top floor do have a bit of a view across to the docks.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Hondabird007
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and really appreciate your contructive comments that will be taken on board.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I been staying at this hotel for a conference at Southampton.
I do know why or where tehy get for stars from/for!
Definitelly not as advertised ......is not teh only mercure taht i have stayed adn found to be all the same!
Shocking
Very noisy and really cold as no aircon in room was working!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Dear Guest

I am in receipt of your review following your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I would have welcomed the opportunity of speaking with you before you left the hotel and I am slightly confused with the content of your review.

UK
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I have stayed there for 2 days conference.
the building nice as historical,hotel itself?
Not really a 4 stars maybe a superior 2.
Average hotel,small rooms and very noisy and warm.
I would not stay tehre in future if i can avoid it!

1 Thank M C
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am glad to read you enjoyed the history of the buidling and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Gibraltar, Europe
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Well situated. Always enjoy staying in hotels with history such as this one, castles, palaces monasteries, mansions, manors, Paradores in Spain.,etc. Found climb from 3rd floor lift to the 4th floor irksome though.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank nomad909
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope you will choose to stay with us again before your next cruise departure.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here on business for 2 nights in October, room was comfortable and modern with a quirky in layout. Only criticism would be the lack of working area as the tea tray took up most of the space on the table . Food was tasty and reasonably priced.

2 Thank Tillycass
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Your comments have been noted and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.