“Review of Mercure Southampton”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Location of hotel was good with many excellent restaurants nearby. Room was poor - decoration was tired, bedside lights were ineffectual. The bathroom had no curtain at the window and with the light on, it was easily overlooked from a corridor used to access several other rooms. The layout of the bathroom was poor and the handbasin had no soap holder. State of the surface of the car park was very poor.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was sorry to read of your poor experience for which I sincerely apologise, these matters will be investigated.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the Easter weekend. Great location, plesant staff, clean and had everything that you required. We had room 206 & 208 which where to the rear of the hotel overlooking the car-park and on level 2 , these room were quite. We ate in the restaraunt on Saturday evening . The food was lovelly and the staff very accomadating. Would recomend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank karen250360
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed the quality of food and will ensure your kind words are passed onto the team.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

It's amazing. The hotel is a true value for money , beeing situated in the center of sOUTHAMPTON, AND HAS 4 STAR FACILITIES. THE ROOMS ARE ENORMOUS, AND THE FACILITIES TRULLY GOOD. I'll recomned to everyone who want to spend some time in Southampton. The staff is very kind and welcoming. Don't miss it !

Room Tip: Ask for a good view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maniac_the_evil

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel very soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Myself & a friend stayed for 3 nights. On booking online I had requested a room near the lift but we were given a disabled ground-floor front one, with a bus-stop right outside the window (people talking outside sounded like they were in our room!), plus traffic noise and a nightclub across the road meant interrupted sleep till the early hours. The beds were comfortable though! The wardrobe was barely big enough for 2 people's clothes so a good job it wasn't a long stay. My friend had to request a replacement iron as the one in the room was dirty. The bathroom had a welcome heated towel-rail but nothing much else to commend it - the "wet-room" shower set-up meant that the rest of the bathroom floor got wet as the curtain was inadequate, also it was difficult to get the water temperature much above "warm". Worse, we had NO hot water in the washbasin for the first 2 days in spite of apparent attempts to sort the problem. Plus there was not enough shelf space for 2 ladies' toiletries (and what there was was in the wrong place - nowhere near either the shower or basin. Possibly this lack of space led to the cleaner putting my friend's partly-open shampoo container inside her MAKE-UP bag, the resulting mess can be imagined I'm sure!! We were assured by reception that this would be investigated and did find the staff friendly and helpful and the food good, also liked the hotel's location in the old town area of Southampton, so provided we got a better quality of room next time, would be prepared to give it another chance.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel. I really appreciate the detailed feedback and I do hope you will give the hotel another chance.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Classed as a 4* our room was anything but. Even though it was good value the room it'self was very disappointing. (room 309) We were over looking the front of the hotel opposite a bar which on a Friday night was very noisy, it was a hot room even with the heating turned down so we had to open windows. The windows both inside and out were filthy and it was dusty everywhere - it was like the room hadn't been stayed in for a while and they hadn't freshened it up. There was what looked like mould in the corner of the lounge area of the room and all the paint was peeling off the walls. The bed was... ok - we wanted a double and got 2 singles pushed together with a very bad dip in the middle and the pillows were like rocks!. The bathroom wasn't up to the standared of a 4 star by any stretch. there as no where to put anything! - it was all just tired and dated and in need of a clean and re-dec. The location was great for the shops and bars etc but would think twice about staying here again.

Room Tip: dont choose 309 - it's a big room but not nice
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback, I was sorry to read that your experience was not to our usual standards for which I sincereley apologise. I would like to assure you your feedback will be addressed with my team.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night and were pleasantly surprised by the decor and size of the room for the money (£69) The room had a disabled adapted bathroom and was in the building opposite the main hotel reception. We had thought of upgrading but were pleased we did not bother. My family live in Southampton and told me of the local reviews which had complemented the hotel on its new decor and restaurant. After a leisurely drink in a very pleasant bar area we ate in the restaurant and had an excellent meal. 2 courses £17.95 and 3 courses £21.95. Would I stay again? - yes I would.
My only critisism was that finding the car park involves going around the building on a one way system rather than through the old gateway, so print the map and that finding a parking spot was difficult but we did succeed. Spaces were tight as the layout is a bit bizarre. We did not get there until 7pm but be warned.There is currently also some building work still going on, I assume to complete the refurbishment but it was not near the front of the hotel or our room. However we stayed on a Saturday night when building work was not taking place. We did not stay for breakfast but can confirm it is a buffet style.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are facing the main road so those facing the inner passageway I would say are qui...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Wilmslow-traveller
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Dear Guest

Thak you for your review following your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and could see the improvements we have made. The bulding work on the building at the back of the hotel is to create an additional nine bedrooms that should be available shortly. We are pleased that this work is progrssing well and any 'noisy works' that have been minimul have now been completed.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I stayed at the hotel for one night (thankfully) The room was very small and claustrophobic, if we had any amount of luggage there would of been nowhere to store it. the bath and shower had mould around it and the bedding was atrocious,mega thin duvet and pillows.
These factors I would of overlooked, as it was for one night and at £45 very cheap, you get what you pay for! The problem I had was with the pigeons nesting in the guttering above our room. they starting cooing at first light, about 5.30am and would not be deterred by banging on the window. They soon turned myself & hubby into Dastardly & Muttley!!! and forced us to checkout earlier than we had expected to.
To add insult to injury the woman working checkout didn't even ask how my stay had been! where are their staff's manners & training? I left disgruntled and regretting going cheap! unfortunately after staying at the Geelong Mercure in December I thought Mercure was a brand I could trust.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidaygenie
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was sorry to read there were elements of yor stay you were not happy with, clearly I will address the points relating to my team and the bedroom, however I think your comments regarding the pigeon are a little unfair!

I do hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

General Manget