Having read that this central hotel had been updated we decided to treat ourseves rather than go to the standard city travel hotels. The hotel its self is centrally located on the high street 3 minutes walk to West Quay shopping mall. On checking in the reception staff were professional and informative and I noted that the communal areas were modern and clean taking a peek in the attractive bar and dinning room.
However we were then directed to a tiny lift just big enough for us both and two large suitcases. Our room was located some distance from the lift and we had to negotiate doors and extra steps in the hunt for our room. The hallways or corridors were painted a cold grey colour.The room itself was disappointing. I think it was located in the 'older' part of the hotel. Apart from the plus points of free Wifi and T & C facilities the spacious room felt just drab and unwelcoming. The bathroom needed maintenance with a leaking toilet overflow dripping all night, the sink fitted on the wall on a slant that it looked like if you leaned against it it would fall off and the shower hose connection was broken. I really felt that the overhaul of this part of the hotel compared to the public rooms had either been forgotten or wasn't properly maintained.There also was a problem with the telephone system the 2 nights we stayed with apology notices on the lift doors.
When we arrived we didn't see any other guests but on checkout which was conveniently up to midday we couldn't move for other guests and their luggage who were also trying to check out and just hanging around waiting for transport.This explained the long wait for the lift . Everyone seemed to be checking out the same time to get a cruise.The reception area resembled an airport baggage arrival belt! There didn't seem to be any staff available to help with the luggage and bedlam that was unfolding. I even heard some ladies in the corner complaining that the taxi they had ordered had been taken by someone else ! Complete chaos and not a good start to a nice cruise! In future I will be going back to the tried and tested travel hotels that have the space and facilities for a calming departure!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel is a stunning Grade II listed 4 star hotel located in the heart of Southampton - offering a modern and contemporary feel, while maintaining its traditional appeal. Perfectly located to explore the historic old town and walls, extensive shopping centre within walking distance and the perfect place to stay before and after your cruise with park and cruise packages available.Free Wifi available throughout the hotel.Privilege rooms now available. On site car parking available however there is a charge for this service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, ACCOR, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Lastminute, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel Southampton
- Southampton Dolphin Hotel