“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 22 August 2013

mercure
One of the worst, if not the worst, I've ever stayed in. Dirty, ugly, rumpled, clearly flooded once carpet, pigeon feathers on the stained carpet outside the lift on the 3rd floor, I asked for a room on the top floor with lot's of light and was given a room on the 1st floor for people in wheelchairs. The place smelled, was dirty and uninviting, Outside the open window on the 3rd floor when you get off the lift, there is a rooftop literally COVERED in pigeon feces, and filthy pigeons - this is a major health hazard, particularly as you have a restaurant and kitchen on the premises, and guests. People have died from prolonged exposure to pigeon dung. Plus, it is also repulsive and disgusting to see. The bed was hard, the pillows thin, no screens on the window to keep out bugs, the room was hot, with only a cheap ASDA fan for cooling, my Internet stopped working and I had to go down to reception in my pajamas and call the company to reset it, the floor in the bathroom looked like it belonged in a hostel, the doors were the cheapest, no hair conditioner or moisturizer in the bathroom, there was a used soap left in the shower soap dish, and the noise was unbearable. I got no sleep, preparatory to getting on my much looked forward to Queen Mary 2 cruise, which was the ONLY reason for my unfortunate visit to this horrible, disgusting hotel. The only redeeming features are the pleasant, efficient, friendly and helpful hotel staff.

Room Tip: Maybe at the back? On a high floor? I think you should choose a hotel out in the country a bit, wher...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

I am in receipt of your review following your stay with us a few weeks ago. I have also been in touch with you regarding your feedback immediately after you departed.

I can confirm the area you describe in your review has been throughly chemically cleaned by extenal contractors, however the way in which you describe the area is very exaggerated and we would never put the health and safety of our guests or staff at risk.

The points that you raised have been discussed and addressed where possible although I do find a number of your statements very derogatory and unnecessary.

On a positive note I am pleased to read you found the team friendly and helpful.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin

994 - 1,000 of 1,565 reviews

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I didn't stay at the hotel, only had lunch there, but couldn't find anywhere in Restaurants to review the hotel's Signature Restaurant. I went for lunch with a party of work friends to celebrate the forthcoming wedding of one of the group. The lunch was delicious and the service was good. The staff joined in with some of the jokes and helped the lunch to be an enjoyable affair. It was a three course lunch with a good choice of courses and the meals were all presented beautifully. For the icing on the cake the hotel gave us all a complimentary glass of bucks fizz. Have already recommended to friends and plan to take a relative there for afternoon tea to celebrate a birthday. Well done top all the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sinderella12
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for reviewing your lunch in our Signature Restaurant here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Really pleased to read you enjoyed your hen party lunch with us and I will of course ensure your kind words are shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back for afternoon tea.

Neil Bailsford

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Myself, husband and 2 children stayed as part of the peppa pig package. Excellent location. Room was fab size and accommodated the 2 extra beds well! We stayed in a quad room. The only downside was, it was RELLY hot in the room! But very clean and well kept. All staff helpful and polite. Breakfast was delicious too. Would definitely stay again, with or without children.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Danniit123
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you next visit Peppa Pig world at Paultons Park.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Just returned from a fabulous week on the south coast. We chose this hotel to break up our journey and catch up with friends who lived in the area. The Hotel couldn't be better placed for exploring Southampton. Just off the town centre, yet only a few minutes walk to the ferry and cruise terminals. The hotel is also close to some quality parks, one of which had just opened a massive adventure palyground which kept the kids entertained for a good few hours.

The staff within the hotel were great. We met the hotel manager as we were checking in and he was great with our 2 boys. After joking about my sons football shirt he found them a football magazine each and some chocolate fudge which was a great touch. I can recommend room 204 for a family as it has a seperate living room with a fold down bed which the kids enjoyed as they could watch TV in bed! The breakfast was one of the best I have experienced with everything you could possibly want. we chose to eat in the hotels signature restaurant on the first night and had a really good meal (recommend the duck and the mixed grill). I was suprised how reasonable the prices were although there are a few restaurants nearby so I suppose they have to be competetive! We did choose to eat out on our second night with freinds and enjoyed a meal at the Italian called Margerita, located next to the ferry terminal. I talked to another guest who had ben to the one of the oriental restaurants next to the hotel and he said he wished they had stayed in the hotel!

There were lots of people staying at the hotel who were going on a cruise given its location to the terminal and the packages available which included parking.

We will definitely be back to this hotel if we return to the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Martin P
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the quality of breakfast and dinner to be of a very high quality, I will ensure your kind words are shared with my team and in particular the kitchen brigade.

The hotel is perfectly located for exploring the city and parks and we also have a number of the Rhinos in the Go Rhinos trail very close to the hotel and one in reception which is free to do and great fun for the kids!

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Great value for the package they offer, we were lucky to be in a new part of the hotel complex a small room with no view as such but very nice and clean. Did get a bit warm and a fan was supplied but still seemed stuffy. We had an evening meal with friends who lived locally this was good though nothing special, where as breakfast was very good, a spread that no one could complain about. Upon arrival my car was checked over and we had to agree upon state of vehicle in case of damage whilst parked at the hotel, this was carried out very professionally. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the taxi transfer arranged by the hotel to our ship worked very well. We would stay here again a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms in the court yard
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RobinSuperted
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel for your pre cruise stay.

Really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the package to represent good value, and appreciate your contructive feedback that has been noted.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed there as a deal with paultons park (peppa pig world) it was a excellent Hotel staff were extremely helpful and very polite very clean hotel we had the azura room which was a privilege room breakfast was outstanding very good variety.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Neilwillow

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on the Paultons Park package.

Really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay in the Azura and I will ensure your kinds words are shared with my team.

We hope to welcome you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel on 3rd August and booked through the Peppa pig website for as there was a deal for two for one at Peppa pig world.
On arrival the staff were very polite and were very helpful in getting what we needed for our young children aged 1 and 4 - milk, colouring activities,etc.
Our room at first glance was lovely, there was a double bed and an adjoining room with a sofa bed. However, our excited 4year old whilst standing on her bed suddenly screamed out in pain whilst we were with her - the sole of her foot had been deeply cut by a spring which had come loose out of the bed. The manager did come to see us and we were told this can happen with the sofa beds!! As a result we did not feel confident putting the girls in their own bed nor did they want to go either. The next day I requested to see the manager as we had not slept well at all - 4 in a bed plus it was extremely muggy. No one came to see me and I was told to leave my details- no one has been in contact since and I will be writing a formal letter of complaint. We did not enjoy our second day at Peppa world as her foot could not bear weight and this week we have not been out as we are letting it heal.
The staff were lovely and we would love to stay again but the beds are a concern and I wanted to warn any families with young children. We had earlier placed our sleeping baby on the bed, just inches away from where the accident had occurred and it is worrying to think we could have hurt her too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

I was sorry to read of the problem with the sofa bed and will be in contact to resolve this with you.

In the meantime my sincere apologies.