A seasoned Mecure guest, I was a little disappointed by the Dolphin Hotel.
First impressions, decent sized car park at rear of this very old city centre hotel. Obviously constrained by the building, the layout is somewhat dis-jointed, but giving a little character.
Check-in was fine, I asked for an upgrade as an A-Card holder, was informed I had a complimentary upgrade, but clearly not to a Privilege Room. It was a bit of trek to the room up the lift, up and down half flights of stairs and down long corridors. The room was a good size and decorated like most Mecures, the bathroom was down some steps separate to the room and a little cold and stark with older fittings - not modern marble topped. Staff were friendly, well trained and courteous.
I felt the bar and restaurant prices were a little steep, but I think they cater well for the cruise ship trade and price accordingly. Southampton is a little run down despite the massive West Quay development and feel prices were OTT compared to rest of town.
Breakfast was good - but being down South there was no Black Pudding! They serve it in London Mecures & Novotels now you know!
I think the staff and management are trying very hard, given the constraints of the old building, but unfortunately it doesn't match up to other Mecures elsewhere in the UK.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel is a stunning Grade II listed 4 star hotel located in the heart of Southampton - offering a modern and contemporary feel, while maintaining its traditional appeal. Perfectly located to explore the historic old town and walls, extensive shopping centre within walking distance and the perfect place to stay before and after your cruise with park and cruise packages available.Free Wifi available throughout the hotel.Privilege rooms now available. On site car parking available however there is a charge for this service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel Southampton
- Southampton Dolphin Hotel