“A 4 * Hotel - I don't think so!”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
London, United Kingdom
“A 4 * Hotel - I don't think so!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I don't know how you consider this to be a 4* hotel and if so, which organisation gave the hotel a 4* rating?. The rooms were really tatty, old fashioned and cramped - the bathroom was like going back to the dark ages, stains around the bath handles, rust I assume? The corridors to the rooms were like a prison enviroment, all grey walls, doors and skirting boards!

I guess your customers that write positive reviews are not regular users of decent hotels? Even all the dishes in the breakfast buffet were virtually cold - this was at 8,30 am???

The only positive thing I can say about the hotel is that the staff were polite and friendly but a 4* rating is an absolute joke!!!

I think the hotel should be subject to the trade descriptions act?

Appalling!

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I am in receipt of your review, which I have to say is very out of line with the rating from previous postings. As you can see from our previous reviews we are proud of the high levels of positive feedback we get making the content of your review even more of a suprise!

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, we do have a duty manager available twenty four hours a day who could have made your stay more comfortable if you had made us aware of your concerns.

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I must admit I had read some bad reviews on trip advisor about this hotel so I was a little worried about what I would find, but my fears where unfounded, the hotel is clean the lady at reception was very friendly we had to pay £4 for parking for 24 hrs bargain! Our room was on the ground floor overlooking a little garden. The room was big enough the bathroom clean and tidy, the bath was a little old and had chips ect but no big deal. Free wifi worked well. The location is great a short walk straight up the street opposite the hotel and you find yourself in the old town near the Merchants house and the Tudor houses. I would stay here again. We also had dinner at the the pub down the road called the standing order it's a must the food was super.

2 Thank suz08j
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Really pleased to read your concerns were unfounded and you enjoyed your stay with us, we really appreciate your feedback.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Southampton.

Kind regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel whilst on some training courses for work and thought is was great, there were friendly staff and good size clean rooms. The buffet breakfast was fantastic with even more choices to order on the menu.
My only complaint would be that due to the historic nature of the building the window in my room was only single glazing and therefore you could hear the noise from the street below in the night although it was not enough to really disturb my sleep.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank David S
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and will ensure your kind words are shared with the team.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. The staff treat me like part of the family and always welcome me with a very warm smile. Nothing is too much trouble for them and everyone has the time to stop and chat to you; from the senior managers to the catering staff to (my favourite) the mantainece guys.

The rooms are beautiful with everything you could need. The shower in the bathroom is powerful enough to wake you from the blissful nights sleep you'll receive. Breakfast is great too.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank natmuscat
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I am delighted to read it feel like 'home from home' that is excatly what the team set out to deliver so it is great to hear we are achieving this!

We really appreciate your continued support, loyalty and business and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Boston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Brilliantly situated in the centre of Southampton 200 yards from the West Quay shopping centre. They have their own car park which is handy and only charge £4 for 24 hours parking.
Breakfast was lovely but glad we got there before the rush at 9am when people were queuing for what seemed like ages ...I would have been a bit miffed!

1 Thank ChrisandMandy
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

We really appreciate your feedback that will be used to help us improve the standards of service and facilities we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Southampton.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel provided excellent value for the town centre with ample parking (only £4 for 24 hours). We were given a spacious well appointed room. Reception staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgable. The buffet breakfast also had a great selection of quality hot and cold items.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank Mark B
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for your review.

We really appreciate your feedback an are pleased you enjoyed you stay, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here 1 2 and, with 3 November with my wife.
I had previously stayed here in Cowes week and thought the hotel was generally good then and so re booked. As the hotel advertises it is very old so don't expect super modern inside, but it is very clean and the staff are all extremely polite and helpful. The lower restaurant was being refurbished and so breakfast was served upstairs in another suite, which I think put the staff under a little pressure but the breakfast and food was good. the room wads very clean but the carpet looked a bit tired
BUT why cannot the hotel group make some representations to the local police or council about the row coming from the Oasis club opposite the front of the hotel. I would have thought that the hotel contributes more to the local economy than the "people" (animals?)that seem to spend the night drunk, shouting and swearing till 2.00am on Friday and Saturday night. Avoid a room at the front!
My first stay was at the back and no complaints at all.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the front rooms
1 Thank llantwitgirl
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your stays with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team professional and friendly I will of courses ensure your kind words are shared with the team.

I also appreciate and note your constructive feedback.