“Family Get Together”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Southampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Bedroom and bathroom were in a terrible state!! Needed updating, chipped walls, dirty bathroom and overall appearance of the bedroom was not up to to the standard that you expect for a 4* hotel. Having decided to venture out for dinner in the evening, I was shocked and suprised to find myself locked out of the hotel with both front of the hotel and back entrance to the car park both locked up before midnight!! Yes I understand that the security of your guests Is paramount but please inform guests of the protocol at check in of accessing the hotel outside of working hours. Having frozen to death and trying many a times to call reception to open the front gate after 20mins I finally got hold of someone! Not acceptable!! Was very disappointed!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I am sorry to read there were elements of your stay that were not us to our high standards for which I sincerely apologise.

In regards to the security of the building whilst I am sorry you had to wait, there is signage displayed explaining our procedures and a door bell and mobile number to call if the gates are locked.

Scotland
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on a short visit for a graduation.
The hotel is within reasonable walking distance of the coach and train stations (a taxi would cost only about £5), and very close to the main shopping centre. Our room was clean and comfortable with a huge bed and large bathroom. The room was well appointed with coffee/tea, kettle, iron and a small safe etc. We asked for more milk and were offered fresh instead of uht cartons which was a nice touch.
We had dinner in the restaurant; we enjoyed our meals and found the staff, both at reception and in the restaurant, friendly and helpful. We asked for a later checkout which was agreed without any problem.
If we find ourselves back in Southampton we'd have no hesitation returning to this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank amh2709
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and meal in the restaurant and will ensure your kind words shared with the team.

Really pleased to read you would not hesiate in returning so we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I don't know how you consider this to be a 4* hotel and if so, which organisation gave the hotel a 4* rating?. The rooms were really tatty, old fashioned and cramped - the bathroom was like going back to the dark ages, stains around the bath handles, rust I assume? The corridors to the rooms were like a prison enviroment, all grey walls, doors and skirting boards!

I guess your customers that write positive reviews are not regular users of decent hotels? Even all the dishes in the breakfast buffet were virtually cold - this was at 8,30 am???

The only positive thing I can say about the hotel is that the staff were polite and friendly but a 4* rating is an absolute joke!!!

I think the hotel should be subject to the trade descriptions act?

Appalling!

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I am in receipt of your review, which I have to say is very out of line with the rating from previous postings. As you can see from our previous reviews we are proud of the high levels of positive feedback we get making the content of your review even more of a suprise!

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, we do have a duty manager available twenty four hours a day who could have made your stay more comfortable if you had made us aware of your concerns.

Neil Brailsford

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I must admit I had read some bad reviews on trip advisor about this hotel so I was a little worried about what I would find, but my fears where unfounded, the hotel is clean the lady at reception was very friendly we had to pay £4 for parking for 24 hrs bargain! Our room was on the ground floor overlooking a little garden. The room was big enough the bathroom clean and tidy, the bath was a little old and had chips ect but no big deal. Free wifi worked well. The location is great a short walk straight up the street opposite the hotel and you find yourself in the old town near the Merchants house and the Tudor houses. I would stay here again. We also had dinner at the the pub down the road called the standing order it's a must the food was super.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suz08j
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Really pleased to read your concerns were unfounded and you enjoyed your stay with us, we really appreciate your feedback.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Southampton.

Kind regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel whilst on some training courses for work and thought is was great, there were friendly staff and good size clean rooms. The buffet breakfast was fantastic with even more choices to order on the menu.
My only complaint would be that due to the historic nature of the building the window in my room was only single glazing and therefore you could hear the noise from the street below in the night although it was not enough to really disturb my sleep.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank David S
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and will ensure your kind words are shared with the team.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel on your next visit to the city.

Sheffield
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. The staff treat me like part of the family and always welcome me with a very warm smile. Nothing is too much trouble for them and everyone has the time to stop and chat to you; from the senior managers to the catering staff to (my favourite) the mantainece guys.

The rooms are beautiful with everything you could need. The shower in the bathroom is powerful enough to wake you from the blissful nights sleep you'll receive. Breakfast is great too.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank natmuscat
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I am delighted to read it feel like 'home from home' that is excatly what the team set out to deliver so it is great to hear we are achieving this!

We really appreciate your continued support, loyalty and business and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.