Advertised as a four star with recent extensive renovations but don't be fooled…this hotel does NOT deserve its elevated status.
Private car parking is a definite positive costing £4 for 24 hours but there is a complex one way system round the back of the hotel to negotiate first.
Initial impressions were positive and the check in was friendly and efficient and we were issued with our free Wi-Fi codes, one code for each device and make sure you keep it handy,we were logged off on several occasions.
A very shaky lift carried us to the third floor followed by a small flight of stairs to the 4th where our room was at the end of a corridor located at the front of the hotel.
A very good sized room but it certainly wasn't 4* standard and was exceptionally basic, I dont think the refurbishments included the standard rooms.There was no fridge but there was a safe and ironing facilities and hairdryer which was worse than the one I use at home! As for the tea making facilities well,what can I say?? All they offer is a few teabags,sachets of coffee and vile milk sachets that would be more at home in a roadside tea bar,there wasn't even any hot chocolate but upgrade to the premier room and they PROUDLY boast that you get your own n'espresso machine. Obviously the standard customers don't matter as much!!
The bathroom on first glance looked promising but then we noticed the radiator hanging off the wall, and the shower head either needs a really good clean or replacing. The room itself needed some TLC including the paintwork and the pelmet over the window was visibly thick with dust! The bed although large was far too soft and would benefit from a new mattress, not good for someone with a back problem.What really frustrated us which we mentioned on checkout (with no response) was that we were not told about the very noisy bar opposite the hotel alongside a "gentleman's club". The noise kept us awake until well into the early hours although the second night was slightly better.
Breakfast was a very positive experience even though they couldn't cater for a gluten intolerant customer and made no effort to accommodate this, a good selection of hot and cold food served buffet style.
On a plus point the hotel is superbly situated for shopping and sight seeing,with just a short 10 minuted stroll into the central shopping area with an abundance of shops, cafes and restaurants. Its also worth a visit to the dock area and follow the "walls walk" for some very interesting history.
This hotel let's itself down by advertising as something it's definitely not!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel is a stunning Grade II listed 4 star hotel located in the heart of Southampton - offering a modern and contemporary feel, while maintaining its traditional appeal. Perfectly located to explore the historic old town and walls, extensive shopping centre within walking distance and the perfect place to stay before and after your cruise with park and cruise packages available.Free Wifi available throughout the hotel.Privilege rooms now available. On site car parking available however there is a charge for this service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel Southampton
- Southampton Dolphin Hotel