“Pre Christmas/birthday break”

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Pre Christmas/birthday break”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for the first time on the 19th December, for his birthday. We arrived a little before the check in time of 12pm but a room was ready for us straight away, which we were pleased with as the drive from Bournemouth-Southampton had been stressful with all of the school holiday traffic! Our room was lovely and spacious and had more than what we needed for a one night stay, including tea/coffee and biscuits on our dresser and shower gel and shampoo were also provided. The receptionist was very welcoming and made sure we had everything we needed before pointing us in the direction of our room.

We payed for breakfast as part of our stay and I can honestly say that it is the best breakfast I've ever seen! There were a vast selections of juices, teas and coffees, continental foods and hot foods, cereal, yoghurts etc!

The hotel is located just a few minutes walk from the city centre which was handy! We found all of the staff very helpful and friendly, and nothing seemed too much. We ate out in the evening at the nearby Bedford Place which is just a short taxi ride away, we rang reception from our room to book us a taxi which they were happy to do.

Check out of the hotel was 12pm which gave us plenty of time for a lie in, just what you need on a weekend away. All in all, an enjoyable stay at the hotel with friendly staff, lovely rooms and a fantastic location/breakfast. Would definitely recommend to others and stay again.

Note to others, I found the hotel car park quite tricky to find but is very reasonable at £4 for 24 hours.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, so cannot comment on how other rooms would be. Car park is £4 for 24 h...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us your feedback is valuable to us.

Delighted to read you enjoyed your stay, I will ensure your kinds words are shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

VeryWonky hotel, especially on the third floor.... The floor and ceiling were literally wonky!!!!!

Not only that, my room wason the third floor. Got lift to third floor and had to walk up some stairs then down some stairs. My poor mother who has difficulty in walking found navigating to the room very stressful!!!

The bathroom window would not open, the bedroom curtains fell down.

It was a terrrible stay. Premier Inn is a 10 times much better and that was a budget hotel, atleast the floor wasn't wonky!!

Room Tip: Not worth the stress and value
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was very sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us for which I sincereley apologise.

It is important to note the hotel is over 500 years old and is classed as a listed building so I do feel your comments about the building are unfair and exaggerated!

As a team we are focused on ensuring our guests have a good stay, but there are times we we need to be advised if there is something wrong to give us the opportunity of addressing them. If you had informed us of you concerns whilst you were staying we could have looked a moving you to another room that would have been more suitable for you and your Mum and made your stay more enjoyable.

Thank you for your feedback.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed here on a bed and breakfast with transters pre cruise. On arrival staff were very helpful and efficent. I asked specificaly for a quiet room and they were very accomodating. Room was large with graet shower and hospitality tray provided. Parked the car and given voucher for the transfers. Very central hotel only a short walk into town.
Breakfast was buffet style with a great selection of hot and cold options.
Reception ordered our taxi on the way to the ship and we phoned when we arrived back and the taxi was with us within 5 minutes!!
Highly recommend this hotel for a pre cruise stay.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and this was easily accomodated
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank maggie78-11
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for chooisng the Mercure Southampton Centre for your pre cruise stay.

We are delighted your enyoyed your stay with us and that all the transfers went smoothly.

We hope to welcome you back before your next departure.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We have stayed at the Dolphin many times and stayed three nights over new year earlier this week. We like the hotel and it's location very much but this time we were plagued with poor receptionists.
I ordered newspapers from one receptionist and the first morning it didn't turn up. I mentioned it to another receptionist along with my displeasure on how my room had (or had not) been made up, notes were made but no apology forthcoming. On leaving, a third receptionist tried charging me for two breakfasts, we had none.
Standards have slipped and they need to pull their socks up. I am staying there in two weeks and I dont want to start looking for an alternative hotel in Southampton!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John S
Thank you for your feedback on your stays with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I really appreciate your feedback that will be taken on board by the reception team , who will be disapointed by not delivering the high standards they normally offer our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a few weeks.

Milton Keynes
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Have been familiar with this hotel since the early 70's. Hotel close to ocean terminal just minutes by taxi. Reception staff were welcoming and efficient taking my car keys to park my car for the 14 nights I was crossing to New York and back. A relaxed friendly staff who were keen to please. The bedroom was of recent construction, was spacious,bright and comfortable. Breakfast was busy with a varied choice but the staff coped well. Had a bar lunch, as I was not due on board till 3pm. Free wifi access proved useful. On return, the concierge assisted with my luggage and took me to my car.Overall a most enjoyable experience and I shall return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Globaltraveller55
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 3 January 2014

Really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and received good service from the team.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel before your next cruise

Studley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We had a small family wedding at this hotel. The rooms were beautifully laid out. The Manager Arthur was on hand at all times and it went so well. Relaxed and personal. The children were treated with respect and looked after extremely well, from being fed first to having a meal prepared for a baby without being asked. They anticipated our needs and made the day very special indeed.
The rooms were of a good size and comfortable. The restaurant food was very good, and good choice at breakfast.
I can only say that all staff from check in, service and manager were friendly, polite and offered excellent service. I can highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms were all lovely but those at the back had a better nights sleep due to road. Having said t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for you review - really pleased to read you enjoyed your special day with us and I will ensure your kind words are shared with Arthur and the team.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel soon - perhaps for your anniversary.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Very helpful staff, who went above and beyond. Super location with a nice view. The room was spacious and comfortable. All in all a very pleasant stay at not too expensive a price. I would recommend to anyone looking to stay in Southampton

• Stayed May 2013
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Thank you for your kind comments that I will ensure are shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel very soon.