“Cheap and cheerful”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed here in March while in Southampton for a hen party. My friend and I were on a tight budget and this was the second cheapest hotel in Southampton for the dates we needed and was in a perfect central location, close to where the rest of the party were staying (Grand Harbour Hotel).

We found the hotel using a satnav without any trouble, but it was a bit difficult to find the car park. I remembered reading a review saying it was around the back, so we took a long route around the block and found it. We had to pay £5 to use the car park for 24 hours, which was fine for us as we were only there one night, but gets a bit expensive if you are staying for a while.

When we arrived it was quite busy as there was a wedding there on the same day, but checking in was still quick and easy. Our room was right at the end of a long corridor on the ground floor, through a few doors and up a few steps. We had to ask directions on the way as it wasn't signposted very well, but the staff were really approachable and helpful.

The room was fairly standard, a decent size with the usual amenities, as was the bathroom. The bed linen looked clean enough (although I never like to look too closely!) and the bathroom was pretty clean, but there was a big stain on the carpet. The beds had nice big firm pillows which are exactly what I like and it was pretty comfortable.

The only problem we found with the room was that it was a rare sunny weekend and the room was absolutely boiling! Being England, there was no air conditioning so we had to keep the window open which was a bit annoying but not so bad that we couldn't deal with it.

The location was very central, once we had dumped our things we wandered up to the shops which were within minutes of the hotel. There was a market selling lots of different foods and all the usual high street chains. Later on in the evening we got ready at our hotel and walked to our friends hotel which only took around 10 minutes.

We spent the evening in Southampton, finishing at Oceana, which was only about a 20 minute walk back. The roads around the hotel were fairly quiet when we got back around 1am, but I never felt unsafe. A few bars had people outside but we couldn't really hear anything from our room which was nice and quiet at the back of the hotel. The only noises I did hear were people walking by the window as it was open, but it wasn't many and didn't bother me.

Overall the hotel was a good price, great location and exactly what you would expect for a budget hotel. I would stay here again and would recommend for a night or 2 if you're just looking for a safe and clean room.

Room Tip: If you are driving there I would recommend getting the postcode for the car park entrance and puttin...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JennyWren24
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We really appreciate and value your feedback and it is nice to read you would stay again and recommend the hotel to others.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Neil Brailsford

Write a ReviewReviews (1,632)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband I stayed here for one night over the Easter holidays and was pleasantly surprised by the quirkiness of the hotel. The Place had character oozing from every corner.
We stayed in room 3 which was on the ground floor, facing the walkway to the car park. As soon as I opened the door I took a step back with the sight of stairs going down! Though there was space to stand inside it came unexpected.
The room was clean and well presented.
Due to the style / age of the building it was a little noisy, as you could hear what was going on in the corridors. The heating was also loud, however as mentioned added to the experience of staying in such an aged building.
The choice for breakfast the following morning was great. Continental as well as hot foods. I had a bit of both with a choice of croissants, yogurt, fruits followed by scrambled egg on toast.
A hotel I would most definitely visit again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reena M

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and the character of this unique building. I will of course ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Not sure how this place ever got 4 stars! Although the location is great for getting into town, dirty, mouldy walls and a general smell of damp greeted us when we arrived in our room. The shower didn't work properly, and the staff were not particularly helpful. Rooms were incorrectly serviced and on one of the days we were actually left with no toilet paper! The only plus side was the food which was lovely, really can't fault it at all. Don't bother with this place, Jury's Inn down the road is FAR better!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, I am very sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us, for which I sincereley apologise.

I am confused by the content of your review as some of the comments are very unusual to hear about the hotel, I am pleased, however that you enjoyed the quality of our food.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to restore your faith in the hotel.

Mercure Southampton
Centre Dolphin Hotel

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Room 401. Stayed fr. April 19, 2014 overnight. Room is front of the main street. Very noisy and loud, cannot get to sleep because of the bars in front, almost midnight, my daughter and I still cannot get some sleeps as it was really so loud, I have never been in a hotel where the noise seems just like in front of you. I went to the reception albeit being so tired and sleepy, we just needed to get a room where we can have a bit of sleep. I told the reception and complained that the noise was unbearable, he seems that this is the not the first time that somebody complained as he was all ready to give us a room. He gave me another room 103, we moved there just to sleep over. Room 103, you can hear all movements from the other rooms. This is such a bad hotel, this is just a 2-3 star not the usual Mercure Hotel which I had expected. Mercure must just have bought this ; Centre Dolphone Hotel and ran the hotel under Mecure's name. quality is so bad. I very disappointing experience. I do not recommend this hotel, and if you do get this...try to get a room not facing the street. I have nothing good to say about this place. I have never in my travelling years went down to the reception and asked for another room because of the windows not properly insulated and such an unbearable noise.

Room Tip: Rooms 401, 405...all facing the streets are not recommendable as it faces the streets with lots of b...
1  Thank IcreamCone
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for posting the 650th review on the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am very sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay for which I sincereley apologise, I would like to assure you your feedback will be addressed.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed here for one night as part of the Peppa Pig world 2 for 1 offers.
As part of this the hotel provides your child with a little goodie bag with drink, snacks, colouring pens, stickers and colouring book. Our son loved it an kept him entertained while waiting for dinner in the evening. The room was comfy and very large...our sons bed was around a little corner so we could actually lie in bed reading without disturbing him.
Over dinner I have to mention one of the employees, Dominic Ashley, who was absolutely tremendous! Our son got tired and a bit stroppy and Dominic started chatting to him and asked if he wanted some Batman or Spiderman colouring pages. My son shouted "birdies" and Dominish went off only to come back less than 5 minutes later with birds colouring pages! Very impressive. Thank you!

Food was very good and the size of the fish and chips would be enough for the hungriest guest!
Breakfast was again very good, kids can have more colouring and there is a good variety of cereals, bread, pastries, cooked food, yoghurt, fresh fruit.

Room was clean and as mentioned above comfortable and large for 2 adults and a toddler. The only reason why I didn't go for the highest rating was because the plumbing is very noisy....meaning if the person above us flushed the toilet it sounded like the ceiling was coming down. Luckily that didn't happen too often but I can imagine this to disturb people's sleep.
Would definitely come back on another short trip.

1  Thank Carpediem010
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for your review we really appreciate your feedback.

Really pleased to read you and your family enjoyed your stay and I will ensure your kind words are shared with the team and in particular Dominic who I am sure will be delighted.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel on your next trip to Paultons Park.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed in the separate block next to hotel, called Aurora. Room clean, A privilege room so called.

Through out the night you could hear other guests, walking about, going to the toilet, pulling the chain, tv etc etc. very wakeful night . The room we saw in the main hotel, had ear plugs provided for those I Quote who don't like city noise.
Maybe they should do the same, in these rooms, so as not to hear all the guest noises.

Also the outside should be smartened up, as in nice flowers in the baskets, not dead ones.

Not worth the money in any way. The manager needs to open his eyes, stayed at a few Mercure hotels in France, they know how to do it.

Room Tip: Wear ear plugs at night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay for which I sincerely apologise. This is the first time we have received such comments about the noise in this area and is something we will investigate.

I would like to assure you I value all our customer feedback and use this to help us constantly review and improve the service and facilities we offer.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Friendly accommodating staff. Good location for all attractions. Fairly spacious rooms athough bathrooms need updating to go with modern sinks. Plenty of parking, not free but at £5 per day fairly acceptable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for your review.

Delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and I will ensure your kind words are shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Mercure Southampton