“Wonderful Hotel in a prime location”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Had to write and say what a great hotel The Dolphin in the high street in Southampton is, friendly staff clean and spacious rooms and the best breakfast choice me and my wife have ever encountered. The room we stayed in was quiet and comfortable so much so that the week after our stay we stayed in a beautiful log cabin by a lake but we both missed our hotel room. The location of the hotel is worth an extra star as its just a few hundred yards from the city centre. Will be using this hotel whenever we visit the south coast.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed 3 nights but would not do so again. Small rooms, so we had 4 cases all over the room. The stay also involved the cases lugging up and downstairs as lift only went so far. Earplugs near bed gives indication of a noisy night and from function downstairs and noisy bar opposite, these were necessary if you can stand wearing them. Car parking handy at 5 pounds per day. Good location for city centre and cruise ships. NB There is no car access via front you need to go to rear of hotel

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback which is valauable to us.

We do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed just for one night and will not come again. unsure who gave this place 4 stars! avoid this place if you have child with you or if you're looking for a quiet,relaxing place to stay...
room was worse than i expected from 4star hotel (comparing with other 4star hotels we stayed in). poorly decorated, carpets needing replacing, window in bathroom didn't shut properly etc etc... the room was right next to the lift so we had people passing by all the time, waking us up at night. we couldn't even open the window as people were smoking right below our room window. you don't get just noise from people staying at hotel, but members of public are trespassing right under your window and with so many clubs around this makes it a nightmare.
you even have to pay for a car park!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am very sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay for which I sincerely apologise.

There is a duty manager available twenty four hours a day, who, if you had made us aware of your concerns during you stay could have made your stay much more comfortable and enjoyable.

kind regards

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here several times before and always enjoyed the food and the bar. The staff are always great. This time I was upgraded to one of the new rooms in the new block down the Lane by the car park. The rooms there are described as 'suites' but they're not! They are new and named after various cruise liners but they are very small indeed. The beds are hard. The stairs up to the rooms and the door ways plus the cobblestone path to the rooms are an absolute nightmare with luggage. The bathroom was new and fresh but so dimly lit (even with the trendy mirror lights on) that I couldn't see to shave.

Most irritating is the lack of wifi. There was no signal in my room! Reception told me that it's because it's a listed building! (It's not and newly built!)

There is a wide choice of hotels in Southampton and despite the lovely staff and the restaurant I would struggle to recommend this one if the rooms on offer were in the new block.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank francophileonthemove

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was sorry to read there were elements of your stay that were not up to our high standards for which I sincerely apologise.

In regards to the Wifi coverage I would like to assure you our service is normally very good so this is clearly a temporary issue that we will address.

Pleased to read there were also positive elements of your stay and I do hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

kind regards

Mercure Southampton
Centre Dolphin Hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank MikeWReading
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed here in March while in Southampton for a hen party. My friend and I were on a tight budget and this was the second cheapest hotel in Southampton for the dates we needed and was in a perfect central location, close to where the rest of the party were staying (Grand Harbour Hotel).

We found the hotel using a satnav without any trouble, but it was a bit difficult to find the car park. I remembered reading a review saying it was around the back, so we took a long route around the block and found it. We had to pay £5 to use the car park for 24 hours, which was fine for us as we were only there one night, but gets a bit expensive if you are staying for a while.

When we arrived it was quite busy as there was a wedding there on the same day, but checking in was still quick and easy. Our room was right at the end of a long corridor on the ground floor, through a few doors and up a few steps. We had to ask directions on the way as it wasn't signposted very well, but the staff were really approachable and helpful.

The room was fairly standard, a decent size with the usual amenities, as was the bathroom. The bed linen looked clean enough (although I never like to look too closely!) and the bathroom was pretty clean, but there was a big stain on the carpet. The beds had nice big firm pillows which are exactly what I like and it was pretty comfortable.

The only problem we found with the room was that it was a rare sunny weekend and the room was absolutely boiling! Being England, there was no air conditioning so we had to keep the window open which was a bit annoying but not so bad that we couldn't deal with it.

The location was very central, once we had dumped our things we wandered up to the shops which were within minutes of the hotel. There was a market selling lots of different foods and all the usual high street chains. Later on in the evening we got ready at our hotel and walked to our friends hotel which only took around 10 minutes.

We spent the evening in Southampton, finishing at Oceana, which was only about a 20 minute walk back. The roads around the hotel were fairly quiet when we got back around 1am, but I never felt unsafe. A few bars had people outside but we couldn't really hear anything from our room which was nice and quiet at the back of the hotel. The only noises I did hear were people walking by the window as it was open, but it wasn't many and didn't bother me.

Overall the hotel was a good price, great location and exactly what you would expect for a budget hotel. I would stay here again and would recommend for a night or 2 if you're just looking for a safe and clean room.

Room Tip: If you are driving there I would recommend getting the postcode for the car park entrance and puttin...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JennyWren24

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We really appreciate and value your feedback and it is nice to read you would stay again and recommend the hotel to others.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband I stayed here for one night over the Easter holidays and was pleasantly surprised by the quirkiness of the hotel. The Place had character oozing from every corner.
We stayed in room 3 which was on the ground floor, facing the walkway to the car park. As soon as I opened the door I took a step back with the sight of stairs going down! Though there was space to stand inside it came unexpected.
The room was clean and well presented.
Due to the style / age of the building it was a little noisy, as you could hear what was going on in the corridors. The heating was also loud, however as mentioned added to the experience of staying in such an aged building.
The choice for breakfast the following morning was great. Continental as well as hot foods. I had a bit of both with a choice of croissants, yogurt, fruits followed by scrambled egg on toast.
A hotel I would most definitely visit again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reena M

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and the character of this unique building. I will of course ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.