1,886 results
All reviews privilege room high street main building central location cruise package the hotel car park town centre buffet style stayed for one night good nights sleep full english cruise terminal dolphins wetherspoons port annex docks
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Very disappointed in our stay, The rooms shown on the hotel internet did not reflect the room we were given. We were located externally from the main building in a former stable annex. It was based on the ground floor and was next to a public walkway. The quality of the room we had was poor, it had a strong damp smell, it was a shabby looking room, and had no ventilation or windows which could be opened. Our room door opened direct onto an external public walk footpath, we had no privacy and was it very noisy. As the room was located on a public walkway, we also had to endure the noise of a group of men getting drunk, who sat on the bench directly oppisite our room (Number 17). The room did not have any double glazing, so we heard every loud word from them. Toilet badly laid out and no sink to wash your hands, located in the toilet. The carpet was dirty. We were found blood on the quilt! If I was 20 and back-packing and paid one quarter of the price, I would of accepted this room. But I am 40 and paid over the odds for low end standard room. I expect better value and quality for the price. The car park was poorly laid out, and uneven, as well as costing £5. We stay in Southampton each year before we go on a cruise, normally at the Holiday Inn. But for a change we decided to try another hotel. However, on this initial experience of the Mercure Dolphin hotel. This is our first and last time we will stay at this hotel. Holiday Inn will get our custom again not Mercure Dolphin.

Room tip: Find another hotel.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank littleminxybaby
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was sorry to read you were disapointed with your stay for which I sincereley apologise. Your points will be discussed and addressed to help us improve the service and facilities we offer.

I would like to assure you that your experience is not a true reflection of the standards we can deliver and I do hope we will get the opportunity to prove this to you, by welcoming you back and restoring your faith in the hotel.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I don't want to be negative about the Dolphin. It's a lovely old hotel in the heart of Southampton.
It does have onsite parking (at a reasonable cost), the food is good, breakfast ticks all the right boxes and the staff are generally friendly and helpful. In particular, David on reception helped us with a few issues, for which we are eternally grateful.

On the other hand, what the hotel's website describes and what you get are not exactly a close match. It is an old hotel, but almost all of the character internal features have been removed. Aircon is by means of opening the window.

The rooms at the back of the hotel, are, by four star hotel standards, very compact, very tired and a bit dirty (there were clear signs splattered fluids on the walls and mould in the bathroom). They are, however, quiet. We moved into a Privilege Room at the front of the hotel, which was a massive improvement (only 10% of rooms are Privilege Rooms) but it was on High Street, so quite noisy (not a problem for us).

This was the 10th four star hotel we stayed at on this trip. As far as the standard room was concerned, this hotel ranked 9th. The Privilege Room got it up to 8th - just. Is this really a four star hotel (it is - I checked the AA sign)? It was disappointing. It was only David's swift handling of our concerns that stopped us relocating to another hotel!

Room tip: Pay the extra for a Privilege Room unless you are a very light sleeper in which case go for one of the shoe boxes at the back of the hotel.
1  Thank George J
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor following your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphn Hotel.

I really appreciate your feedback that has been noted and was pleased to read of the excellent service provided by David, I will of course ensure your kind words are shared with him.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had booked a 'Cruise and Stay' package and booked in our car on arrival. I will not dwell on the hotel in general, good mid-priced hotel, pleasant enough room and breakfast.

The trouble started when we arrived at the port and had to wait ten minutes in a freezing wind for the very nice taxi driver to confirm that we did indeed have a package and therefore the taxi was pre-paid. On our return I rang the hotel and asked for our taxi giving details of number of passengers and baggage. After waiting over a half hour and still no taxi I re-phoned the hotel, was told, I hadn't rung them this morning, it was up to me to ring the taxi company and when I asked for the number, it was given in a very rude manner. Taxi arrived speedily and we were on our way.

When I went to get our car keys I was given no explanation of this appalling behaviour, nor an apology, even when I immediately cancelled our August booking.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I was sorry to read there was confusion in regards to your taxi transfers for which I sincerley apologise. I would like to assure you that such problems are very uncommon and the park and cruise packages we operate work very well and we receive many compliments.

I do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future so we can prove this to you.

Mercure Southampton
Centre Dolphin Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The Mercure Dolphin is an old hotel in the older section of Southampton. There are many good places to nearby shop and eat. It is close to the port and the train station. It has a car park if you drive to the city.
My wife and I recently stayed there twice -at the end of April and mid May. The staff is very helpful. We arrived for the first stay at 7:30 am and they found a room for us. The room was in the main building and was small but clean with an updated bathroom. It was quiet during the night. The room over looked the courtyard.
The second stay was in room 19 in a seperate building along the passage to the car park. Again, a small room with a new bathroom. The room was once part of the stables so has old timbers as part of the walls and ceiling. It was a bit drafty and because the room is on the ground floor the curtains needed to be pulled across the door. The staff called this room "traditional".
We enjoyed our stay in Southampton and the hotel location was a plus.

Date of stay: April 2014
1  Thank Mainetraveler5

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your recent stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.