I regularly run a group for writers, Writing Buddies, at this hotel. The service my group gets has been super, so I thought that I would write a review for this site.
We meet once a month in the main restaurant. The staff move the tables by the time we arrive, so that we are all sitting together. The service at the tables, for refreshments, is attentive but not intrusive.
At Christmas, we had a cream tea at this hotel. We have several people who have special dietary needs and these were catered for cheerfully and, I have to say, with absolutely delicious cake!
In May it was the fifth anniversary of Writing Buddies. The hotel gave up their lovely Jane Austen suite for us - beautiful lighting, lovely tables (all set with stationery and glasses) and history - which was deeply appreciated.
Then they supplied all that I had booked, plus a lovely birthday cake (with candles and birthday message!) as well as tea and coffee, all laid out beautifully for us. The gluten free cake was very good and everyone enjoyed it. The chef surpassed himself.
We had 31 Writing Buddies at the meeting that day. This was far more than I had anticipated coming (2 had flown in from Spain) and meant that the staff were running about supplying stacks of chairs, more glasses and extra stationery. They did this all with grace and a smile and we appreciated it.
Ian (wonderful, as always), Nisa, Nathan and Monica (?) were very helpful and I just want to go on record as saying that they made the day a great success. Everyone enjoyed the meeting and I really do appreciate all the trouble that the Dolphin went to to make it a memorable event.
Several of the group have held functions at this hotel. We even had some vintage buses come along for our guests to take a trip down memory lane before a champagne book launch in the restaurant. Nothing seems to be too much trouble and it is appreciated.
Thank you very much.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel is a stunning Grade II listed 4 star hotel located in the heart of Southampton - offering a modern and contemporary feel, while maintaining its traditional appeal. Perfectly located to explore the historic old town and walls, extensive shopping centre within walking distance and the perfect place to stay before and after your cruise with park and cruise packages available.Free Wifi available throughout the hotel.Privilege rooms now available. On site car parking available however there is a charge for this service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel Southampton
- Southampton Dolphin Hotel