“Super!”

Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Super!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I regularly run a group for writers, Writing Buddies, at this hotel. The service my group gets has been super, so I thought that I would write a review for this site.

We meet once a month in the main restaurant. The staff move the tables by the time we arrive, so that we are all sitting together. The service at the tables, for refreshments, is attentive but not intrusive.

At Christmas, we had a cream tea at this hotel. We have several people who have special dietary needs and these were catered for cheerfully and, I have to say, with absolutely delicious cake!

In May it was the fifth anniversary of Writing Buddies. The hotel gave up their lovely Jane Austen suite for us - beautiful lighting, lovely tables (all set with stationery and glasses) and history - which was deeply appreciated.

Then they supplied all that I had booked, plus a lovely birthday cake (with candles and birthday message!) as well as tea and coffee, all laid out beautifully for us. The gluten free cake was very good and everyone enjoyed it. The chef surpassed himself.

We had 31 Writing Buddies at the meeting that day. This was far more than I had anticipated coming (2 had flown in from Spain) and meant that the staff were running about supplying stacks of chairs, more glasses and extra stationery. They did this all with grace and a smile and we appreciated it.

Ian (wonderful, as always), Nisa, Nathan and Monica (?) were very helpful and I just want to go on record as saying that they made the day a great success. Everyone enjoyed the meeting and I really do appreciate all the trouble that the Dolphin went to to make it a memorable event.

Several of the group have held functions at this hotel. We even had some vintage buses come along for our guests to take a trip down memory lane before a champagne book launch in the restaurant. Nothing seems to be too much trouble and it is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear PennyLSouthampton

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of holding your writing buddlies events with us.

The team will be delighted to read your kind words and I will ensure Ian, Nisa, Nathan & Monica are made aware.

We look forward to to looking after you and your group at future events.

Mercure Southampton
Centre Dolphin Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
West Sussex, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel as it was advertised with a theme park deal 4star and family friendly
We arrived having to walk passed smokers outside blocking the entrance not nice when you have children with you , booked in all fine walked to our room corridors dark and dingy not to mention dirty carpets walls and doors it looked like a council block of flats inside not a 4 star hotel at all
Room looked ok to start but walls and windows are paper thin and you can hear everything through them noisy wedding guests from outside the window and people talking and banging doors
Cleaning needs to be looked at sat on the bed and found old Rice Krispies in the bed disgusting the quality of the sofa bed is bad so thin you can feel the springs
For a room for four there was only two cups for making tea just general poor quality hotel would never stay here again or recommend this hotel to any one defiantly not a four star hotel as advertised

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Itsmekellie
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Itsmekellie

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I was very sorry to read you did not enjoy your visit for which I sincereley apologise.

Your comments will be reviewed with the houskeeping team but I would like to assure you such lapses in standards are not common place at the hotel and I apologise for the poor impression this has created.

Neil Brailsford

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Oxford, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Dolphin is a quirky, relatively intimate, amusingly labyrinthine hotel in a good location for the choicest restaurant options.

Nothing in particular distinguished my stay but I had an extremely comfortable night, enjoyed the free wifi and would happily return for the right price. However, a bit more care on the part of the staff (most of which appear, inevitably, to be eastern Europeans) would edge my rating toward 3.5, such as bothering to ask me at checkout whether everything had been to my liking. If they had done so, then I would have pointed out that a room facing the street should have a privacy net curtain so that I don't have to get dressed in the middle of summer with the curtains closed. I would have mentioned that the pillar tap was in an advanced state of dislocation from its base, that I couldn't find a way of getting the shaving light to work and that the bacon at breakfast was so overcooked that it had the texture of greasy leather.

In a town as harsh on the eye and barren of interest as Southampton is, the Mercure Dolphin is almost an antidote if only the staff invested a bit more of the human touch in this hotel instead of striving to deliver an industrial standard of service.

Room Tip: My experience suggests that staff wont bother to ask you if you mind a road-facing room. If this is...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Phileas_Flogg

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Pleased to read that you enjoyed a comfortable night and used the complimentary wifi. I was surprised to read your comments about the service from the team as we work very hard to ensure we offer the best service we can to all of our guests, and regulaly receive lots of positive feedback.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back so we can prove our levels of service are high.

West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nice pleasant stay in good close location to theDocks.
Also close to town centre and Westlands Mall.
Car parking on site at a cost seems always full.
Fairly good prices in the Bar.
Wetherspoons only a few yards away.
Free WiFi also included in reasonable prices.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for revieiwng your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel, we really appreciate your feedback and it is great to read you enjoyed your stay.

In regards to the car park, it does get busy however there are plenty of other options available around the hotel, so parking is not something to be concerned about when staying with us.

We look forward to your return.

Turku, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just a one-night stay on a business trip so this is a 'first impressions' opinion. The hotel is on the High Street, not far from the waterfront, so the location should be fine for many visitors. My room was in the ground floor, but towards a side street, so traffic or other noise was not a problem. Double room was spacious and clean, nothing to complain about. Staff was nice and friendly and breakfast was just fine - other meals I did not have a chance to try. I had a good offer so the value was great, at the list price I think it is still OK. Overall no surprises, no disappointments, fine place to stay.

1 Thank SeppoH
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel offering good value which is always nice to read.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel on your next business trip.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

A group of 14 Ladies gathered for a surprise 60th Birthday for afternoon Tea in May 2014. The service received from initial enquirey through to the day was excellent.

The value for money is outstanding, one of the best afternoon tea's ive experienced.

The table was beautifully decorated and we had chair covers just like you do at a weddding for no extra cost but the little touches made the experience that little bit more special.

I will def be returning and recommending to friends

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank michelle A
Dear Michelle A

Thank you for reviewing your visit for afternoon tea, delighted to read you enjoyed the occasion and I will ensure your kind words are shared with the team.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.