“Great Stay!”

Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
England
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Mecure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel for my birthday with a friend. We had a really spacious, comfy room, with great facilities and a lovely powerful shower.

The breakfast choices in the morning were fantastic and the staff were really friendly. The building has great character and a nice relaxed feel.

Only a couple of minutes walk to get to the shops making it an ideal place to stay when in the city.

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and wished we could have stayed for longer.

I would definitely recommend people stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KEJAMES
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear KEJAMES

thank you for reviewing your birthday stay with us - delighted to read you had a good stay and would recommend the hotel to others.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel, very soon.

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Rochester
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The hotel staff were generally very helpful. Although the hotel boasts 4 stars it actually has yet to earn any, and the meals - although well-prepared - were not delivered in timely fashion because of the chef's insistence in serving one dish from the menu at a time. Hence some people on our table received their meals when others on the same table had already finished. Thus dinner could take over two hours - not good if you've already made plans for your evening afterwards. Finally, if you're coming by coach, it would be a good idea to ensure your driver has already reconnoitred the best way to manoeuvre his/her access for parking.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are more secure than the ground floor, which could be entered from the street...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear 2_short-breakers

I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us.

In regards to the food service I really appreciate your comments about the service which will be used to help us improve, I think it is important however, to note that you were part of a large group dinning with us, so whilst the time taken seems excessive when large numbers are eating at the same time this does have an impact on service times.

The hotel is classified as four star by the AA an award we are very proud of.

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Newport Isle of Wight
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Having arrived at the Mercure shortly after 3 am after a 12 hour shift I was looking forward to a long and restful sleep. I stayed in one of the suites at the back of the hotel next to the car park which is secured at night. The room itself was very well presented and worthy of a four star rating, unfortunately walking into the room was the highlight of my stay.

I was awoken just after 8 am by a persistent hammering, I have no idea where it was coming from, however it did wake up the American family staying in the room next door. I know this as the walls are so ridiculously thin I could hear every word the couple were saying to one another. They were not loud, they were talking in a normal conversational tone and I could hear every word clear as a bell. The hotel has clearly put up the thinnest (read cheapest) partition wall they could find. For an expensive suite in a four star hotel this is utterly ridiculous. Matters deteriorated when the neighbors children came in, presumably woken by the same hammering that woke me. In all I had around 4 hours sleep, after which I had to go back to work for another 12 hour shift.

The cherry on the cake was the receptionist who was very apologetic and made a big show of taking my email address as the hotel manager would want to contact me. Four days have passed and I have not received any email. If you're going to make a show of caring about customer complaints it might be an idea to follow through on them before said customer writes a scathing review on Trip advisor. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Daniel-Hodgson1984

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us here at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am very concerned to read of your poor experience and for the lack of communication for which I sincerely apologise. In regards to the noise disturbance I am sorry but I cannot offer any explanation to what caused this other than it must have been external of the hotel, I do apologise for the inconvenience this caused. This is the first time we have received such feedback regarding the soundproofing in this area which we will review, I can however assure you when these rooms were created careful planning and insulation were used.

I am sorry that we have not been in touch as promised clearly this is not acceptable but I would like to assure you customer feedback is valued by us and we work very hard to focus on delivering good customer service and I am sorry on this occasion this has not been achieved.

Neil Brailsford

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Very pleased with our stay. Hotel is in a good part of the city. Great Pub, Resturant, next door. Hotel is a little run down, carpets could use cleaning. But the room was very good, free wi fi, coffee, and good amenities in room. Staff were very attentive, and friendly. This hotel is good value for the money.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Russ H

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

We appreciate your feedback and pleased to read there were lots of positive elements to your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I regularly run a group for writers, Writing Buddies, at this hotel. The service my group gets has been super, so I thought that I would write a review for this site.

We meet once a month in the main restaurant. The staff move the tables by the time we arrive, so that we are all sitting together. The service at the tables, for refreshments, is attentive but not intrusive.

At Christmas, we had a cream tea at this hotel. We have several people who have special dietary needs and these were catered for cheerfully and, I have to say, with absolutely delicious cake!

In May it was the fifth anniversary of Writing Buddies. The hotel gave up their lovely Jane Austen suite for us - beautiful lighting, lovely tables (all set with stationery and glasses) and history - which was deeply appreciated.

Then they supplied all that I had booked, plus a lovely birthday cake (with candles and birthday message!) as well as tea and coffee, all laid out beautifully for us. The gluten free cake was very good and everyone enjoyed it. The chef surpassed himself.

We had 31 Writing Buddies at the meeting that day. This was far more than I had anticipated coming (2 had flown in from Spain) and meant that the staff were running about supplying stacks of chairs, more glasses and extra stationery. They did this all with grace and a smile and we appreciated it.

Ian (wonderful, as always), Nisa, Nathan and Monica (?) were very helpful and I just want to go on record as saying that they made the day a great success. Everyone enjoyed the meeting and I really do appreciate all the trouble that the Dolphin went to to make it a memorable event.

Several of the group have held functions at this hotel. We even had some vintage buses come along for our guests to take a trip down memory lane before a champagne book launch in the restaurant. Nothing seems to be too much trouble and it is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear PennyLSouthampton

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of holding your writing buddlies events with us.

The team will be delighted to read your kind words and I will ensure Ian, Nisa, Nathan & Monica are made aware.

We look forward to to looking after you and your group at future events.

Kind regards