“Hot Hot Hot”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Southampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Polish first
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our room was fantastic :-) So clean & really comfortable. Couldn't wish for a better start to our holiday. The food is to a very high standard. The staff at the hotel are so welcoming & nothing seems to be too much trouble. Wouldn't consider going anywhere else.....ideally situated for the cruise terminal & the shops are literally up the road from the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Azura suite & it was absolutely fantastic. A very large room which was so comfo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Debbie D

Thank you for reviewing your second stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel, really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and I will ensure your kind words are shared with the team.

We really appreciate your loyalty to the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back for the third time before your next cruise departure.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

How come the reviews all looked good when I booked! On arrival our room was lovely, roomy and trendy. But it was very hot so I opened the windows only to be greeted by a bunch of wedding guests chatting very loud and smoking round a wooden outdoor setting right outside our window!

I called reception who said they'd move the people on! Ten minutes later another group turned up smoking and talking a laughing. So I went to reception to complain. We were then offered another room 3rd floor at the back overlooking a garden. This seemed like a better idea but the room was tiny and very hot. We opened the sash window wide put flies came in.... On waking I got out of bed and saw something above my eye thinking it was my fringe I flicked my hair and the biggest spider fell to the floor.

I spoke to reception who advised we could have another room. This room turned out to be quite suitable with a huge bathroom, obviously a disabled room. However as our window looked straight out to the alley the noise of people talking late in the evening outside was very disturbing.

We decided moving rooms again was not an option as it is exhausting when you have a ton of luggage. The rooms are hot and the tiny fans give no comfort. A fridge would have been a blessing........ Avoid room 03

Although the hotel is centrally located it's quite a rough area and a bit scruffy... As I'm typing this I can hear revellers out on the street

Room Tip: Avoid 03 or any room on the ground floor looking into the alley where the tables with umbrellas are
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Ausielyn

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel we appreciate your feedback.

I was very sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay for which I sincerely apologise. Having spoken to the duty manager who helped you during your stay they thought they had resolved your concerns I am sorry to read this was not the case.

Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed as part of a package visiting Peppa pig world. We arrived around 7 pm. The hotel didnt look appealing from the front. We eventually found the car park round the back and check in. We arrived at our Rooms opened the door to be hit by the heat!!! This was one of the hottest days of the year. The room had no air con. Even with a fan and the Windows open the room didn't cool down.

In fact the room was that hot that it caused our babies milk to turn. Milk that was purchased that evening.

The plugs in the sink and bath did not work. We couldn't retain water in the sink to try and keep things cool.

If you are booking a trip to Peppa pig world with an overnight stay then I would recommend you stay elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank robbell5
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear robbell5

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was sorry to read you were effected by the spell of particularly hot weather we are currently experiencing for which I sincereley apologise.

Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel claims to be 4-star but there's no airco in the rooms. I was lucky to have a room with a window I could open but my colleagues who stayed on the ground floor weren't so lucky.

The shower was inside the tub and there was no way I could control the water temperature with the old-fashioned faucet. I was lucky one day as the temperature was just right. The other days I just prayed that I didn't hurt myself.

The bath, toilet and carpet were old, chipped and dirty.

The toiletries were taken away from my room on the second day and I had to ask for replenishment.

In addition I had to pass three doors and several stairs to go to my room from the lift. Wouldn't it make sense to have more lifts installed somewhere??

I read that the hotel had been refurbished in 2010, but I don't see any indication of that. At least not in terms of amenities and interior arrangement. Should there be fire, I don't think someome staying in room 116 like I did would survive.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear b9601

Thank you for your review we appreciate your feedback, which we will use to help us improve the service and facilities we offer.

In regards to your final point the safety of our guests and staff is paramount at the hotel, and we make regular checks and reviews to ensure this is the case.

Mercure Southampton
Centre Dolphin Hotel
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We arrived and found that they did not have us booked in on there computer so we had to wait for about 25 min till they sorted it out, they made us tea in the foyer and were very friendly our room was small and hot as was the rest of the hotel (no air conditioning) had to have window open day and night facing an alley way so quite noisy. Car parking was 5 pound per day in there car park out the back which was small and busy, breakfast was good and plentiful, we stayed two days pre cruise and booked another hotel for our return from cruise. Best thing was the pup next-door "The Standing Orders" for a drink and dinner.

Room Tip: upper floor would be quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear John T

Thank you for posting our 720th review on trip advisor.

We really value your feedback and do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel sometime in the future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked along with six other couples to celebrate a 50th birthday, the hotel called each of us individually during the morning of the day of arrival to confirm we were coming. The first 4 couples to arrive checked in fine and left the hotel for a drink in Southampton.
The last two couple arrived including my brother who was celebrating his birthday only to be told they had double booked his room.
Great birthday celebration without the birthday boy!
The hotel then booked alternative accommodation, but this was some distance away - really spoilt the occasion for all of us., on return to the hotel after an evening meal we decided to have a nightcap in the hotel bar, after pouring our drinks we were told there was no ice and no lemon - this made for a great G and T! Room was very small, bed was against the wall on two sides, there was a tv but we didn't need the remote as we could reach it from the bed on the opposite wall! Rooms very hot and stuffy so we had to have the window open, this made it very noisy with people standing outside our room smoking and shouting all night. Really was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. On complaining staff did very little, girl on reception rolled her eyes and said what could I do...was told there was no manager there all weekend and nothing could be done. Shocking.

Room Tip: Stay away choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Jamie036

Thank you for your review and feedback.

I would like to apologise for the problems you experienced, unfortunately we found ourselves in an unusual situation that we had to deal with. This is not something that happens on a regualar basis and I am very sorry that it happened on such a special occasion. We have been in contact with your brother to apologise and resolve.

My sincere apologies again.

Kind regards