“VG Service”

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Rochester, United Kingdom
“VG Service”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed at this hotel on several occasions and use their "Stay & Park" facilities prior to sailing on a cruise from Southampton.
The service and the staff are both very good. The hotel is located in the main High Street but is quiet & relaxed.
Recommended for anyone wanting a good quality hotel in the city.

Room Tip: Upgrade to one of the premier rooms, it is worth it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hecate2014
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Hecate2014

Thank you for reviewing your stays with us and for your loyalty to the hotel it is very much appreciated.

I will of course share your feedback with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel before your next cruise departure.

Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Polish first
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel at short notice for anniversary break as let down by another hotel was put into a privilege room very nice room nice bed free drinks lovely bathroom breakfast nice choice staff very nice 5mins to red funnel ferry 5mins to town centre only down side walls are a bit thin could hear the guy snoring next door and the telly from down below not sure about other rooms in hotel but on this experience we will be back

• Stayed August 2014
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear reaper-grim

Thank you for reviewing your anniversary stay with us.

Really appreciate all your feedback and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Nottingham
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

A two night stay for a family wedding worked well for us. The excellent old town location, on-site parking, decent breakfasts,combined with very helpful staff made this an enjoyable experience. Perhaps more could be made of the historic internal courtyards but they did ensure a quiet night's sleep!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear MandJNottingham

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Rushden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Good points first. The public areas of the hotel are just find and the staff very friendly and polite.
I had breakfast here and there's a food choice of food and drinks, all very nice.

My room was very disappointing (401). Says a lot when there are two pairs of foam ear plugs on the bedside cabinet. I assumed that this was because the window would need to be open on a warm night as there's no air con in the room.

The decor was tired looking with quite a few scuff marks on the walls and skirting boards. The window frame was looking in a sorry state with a lot of the paint already peeled off.

The room was clean, no issues there, but it just felt grubby.

The floorboards creaked so much I felt sorry for whoever was in the room beneath me.

Every time someone passed the room door I could here them as if they were in the room. Worst night's sleep I've had in a hotel for a while.

I don't believe that all the rooms are like this.

Acid test for me is would I stay in this hotel with my wife. I'm afraid it's a "No" this time.

Room Tip: Don't have room 401-405.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GlennRobinson
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear GlennRobinson

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Really appreciate all your comments that will be addressed and my apologies you did not enjoy the best nights sleep.

We do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel to restore your faith in our product.

Calgary
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here on August 2 for one night before boarding a cruise ship. What a lovely hotel! Centrally located and walking distance to so many things. The hotel says it is 500 years old so dont expect huge rooms, but the bathrooms were quite a surprise! Large bathroom with tub and shower! There is no AC but apparently historic buildings are not allowed to have AC installed. There was a fan in the room that worked just fine. Beds were very comfortable as well. The staff were very friendly and held out luggage after we checked out so that we could go and tour Stonehenge.

I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone and will go back there myself next time I'm in Southampton.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CaboLaura
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear CaboLaura

Thank you for reviewing your stay, really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and would recommend the hotels to others which is fantastic to hear.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a one night stay in Southampton after visiting friends - the deal was fairly cheap so it was hard to say no.

Locating the hotel wasn't much of a problem. Although once we had found it we has great trouble finding the free parking as advertised. We assumed we should drive through the archway to the rear but the bollards were in place preventing us from doing so due to a wedding party spilling out of the venue. Unfortunately with no other information on how to access the parking we ended up parking on a nearby road which was free on Saturday nights but not ideal.

Check in seemed a bit busy at 1030pm - not because lots were checking in but said wedding party just seemed to be in the reception drinking and dancing? Surely parties should be contained to a function room?

We were in room 217 and after taking the elevator we found it quickly. The room was of ample size - 2 single beds, a dresser table with chairs. We sat down and relaxed and didn't realise for 30 minutes that the bathroom was essentially in what looked like a cupboard! The bathroom however was fairly modern and clean. However, the water pressure in the shower was absolutely dismal. I could have washed my hair quicker in the bathroom sink with the amount of water that shower head was spitting out.

Overall an ok stay. I've had much worse but for the price it was fine for a one night stay. Just a shame about the shower!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Mikelayer

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was sorry to read about the lack of water pressure in your allocated room, I will ensure this is checked. A lack of water pressure if not something we have an issue with here at the hotel so I would imagine it is an issue with the shower in the specific room but I apologise for the inconvenince caused.

In regards to the car park, I am sorry you found it diffuclt to find there is a sign at the front of the hotel with directions and also on our website.

Thank you for your feedback.

Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were given an outside room, no17. It was dark inside even with lights on. The bathroom and toilet were straight out of Cell Block H. The carpet on the floor was well trodden, but vey poorly fitted and was a series of trip hazards.
The room being on the outside was quite noisy from early in the morning as it was on the route to the car park.
When I complained at checkout, the cashier was in apologetic and said we should have asked for another room. As I pointed out that was not the point. The point was this room should not have been offered to anyone, especially someone paying to stay there. The cashiers attitude and the quality of accommodation means we will not stay there again and I would caution all other travellers not to stay in an outside room.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms outside of the hotel or find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Phileyland L
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Phileyland L

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel,

I was sorry to read you were disapointed with your allocated room for which I sincerely apologise. I will be addressing the points raised thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Due to the age of the building we do have a whole range of outlooks and locations of rooms but we do try our best to allocate one that meets our customers needs and requirements but there are occasions where we also need some feedback to ensure this happens.

Neil Brailsford

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels