“Good but could be better”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Scotland
“Good but could be better”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I had a double room (smallish) on the ground floor with window onto pedestrian alley. Didn't think this looked too secure therefore kept window shut - room now too hot. A fan was provided though which helped.

Bed was comfortable and en-suite perfectly acceptable.

Had one drink in the hotel bar but thought the dinner menu a little too fancy. As another reviewer commented the location is great for bars and restaurants - just don't go to LUPA, the local Italian. 1hr 40mins for two courses is just not on!

Breakfast was adequate if, I felt, a little limited.

Overall a reasonable hotel that could try just a little harder.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 11 October 2010
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
As with all customer feedback your views are important to us and will be used to evaluate the level of service we offer and look at ways in which we can improve.
I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Neil Brailsford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Polish first
Brighton
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel on a saturday night and checked in at 2pm as i had to get ready for a family function and leave at 3pm. Given what i had paid i was expecting to be impressed but was very disappointed with the minute room i was given (203) when i eventually found it! The LCD TV bracket was so badly fitted it stuck out from the side of the wall by at least 2 inches and i kept bashing myself on it, the other side of the bed was rammed up against the wall so i couldn't chose what side i slept (so it's not really a double which i what i booked and paid for!) if i managed to avoid bashing myself on the TV i hit the table opposite, furniture far too big for such a tiny room. They had thoughtfully provided a folding suitcase stand but there was nowhere to put it up! Also the desk lamp was not working. The bathroom was a better size but had no power shower just a mixer, and a large chunk of the cold tap on the bath appeared to be missing and a lot of the tiles were very grubby. I decided not to use the shower therefore! I had to get ready to go out at that time so couldn't go straight to reception and complain but i did later that day.
I listed my issues and stated that as you have given me a double which isn't and a room with so many faults maybe you should consider a complimentary breakfast as compensation? They did not agree to this but to be fair did suggest i could move rooms. By this time of day only rooms overlooking the lapdancing club were available as i am a light sleeper was not an option, this was a Saturday night remember.
All this pails into insignificance compared with what happened on the Sunday. I didn't sleep well (as i couldn't sleep on my normal side!) so had to rush to pack and be out before 11am (too early in my opinion especially on a Sunday) i left my luggage and went to meet family for lunch and shopping. When i got back and retrived my luggage i noticed that one of the bags seemed lighter than i remember after i'd packed it but i thought nothing more of it at the time. When i got home i noticed my leather file on my desk and was miffed as i meant to take this as i had some proof reading to do. Then i realised that i remembered packing a leather file but how could i have done that as it was at home? I realised with horror that in my haste to pack i must have grabbed the one in the room thinking it was mine (i did leave my one in a hotel once and have been paranoid about losing it again!) so i went through my luggage and it was not there. Then it struck me why my bag was lighter when i collected it the hotel staff must have gone through my stuff and removed it. This really distrubed and upset me i felt violated. You have no right to go through my stuff when i'm not there, even if i have inadvaterly packed something that i shouldn't have. You didn't bother to ask me what had happened when i returned just seemed to assume that i was planning to take your stupid file so finding it was not in the room you took it upon yourselves to take it out of my luggage - how dare you!! Do you have such a low opinion of your customers that you assume we are all on the rob? What next grabbing back the biscuits in the room if you don't see the wrappers in the bin?? If you are silly enough to stay here don't ever leave any luggage with them as they will have a good nose through.
The thing that really upsets me is that i really wanted to like this hotel. Its got a great history and the location is awesome, its even got 'lane' rooms that back out directly onto the courtyard which i would love to stay in.
Given my experience and the fact they went through my luggage i don't think i could ever trust them again. I stay in Southampton several times a year but will go back to the Holiday Inn next time. They may not have the history and heritage but at least they don't go through my luggage!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank BrightonMiranda
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 9 October 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was concerned to read of the problems in room 203 for which I sincereley apologise and would like to assure you the areas that can be addressed have been actioned.

In regards to going through your luggaage I would like to straight away make it clear that guests property is secured away and is not touched. However in this case when moving your bags the guest room folder was clearly visable in an open bag which is the property of the hotel. I would like to make it clear we do not go searching for guests lugguage if large items from our rooms are missing. I have spoken with the people concerned and on review we should have spoken to you before removing the item however the situation is a very difficult one and if we had done this I may have been dealing with a review saying we had accused you of stealing!

Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel if I can clarify the matter any further.

England
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Small double room on the ground floor (Room No 9) with window onto pedestrian alley way from road. All we wanted was a comfortable place to sleep so the smallness of the room did not matter. Bed was pushed up against the wall so you could not walk around bed. Quiet room although a little hot. No aircon but a fan was provided. Hotel has recently been upgraded. Clean and tidy hotel/room. Bar was very pleasant drinks were a bit pricey but to be expected. Position was perfect for bars and restaurants including a great Indian restaurant (Corriander). Staff on reception were extremely friendly and helpful. Time did not allow us to have breakfast or food at the hotel. Perfect location for our needs. Would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for taking the team to review your stay with us. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with and will ensure your feedback is communicated to the team. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I stayed at the Mecure Dolphin Hotel with my mother and son who we were dropping off at university. We had a double and a twin room. I found the receptionist who I first spoke to when booking very helpful. The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated, with complimentary tea and coffee. The bathrooms were modern and clean with complimentary products. The breakfast was lovely and the decor in the dining room was nice. We found all the staff to be pleasant and particularly helpful. There is a lovely restaurant right across the street. We will be back and definitely recommend this hotel. I own a guest house myself and consider myself to have high standards.

Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank finbob4
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 22 September 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for your review, I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure your feedback is communicated to the team. Please keep an eye on the mercure.com website for the best available deals. I look forward on welcoming you back very soon.
Kind Regards
Stratford upon Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Booked a family room for 4 and a standard double for 2 friends. Family room not ready until after 3.00 and then found out they had mixed the rooms up and the large room with sitting room and separate bedroom had been given to our 2 friends!
Obviously busy because of the boat show and this was putting pressure on them - finished off carrying the cot down a flight of stairs and rearranging the rooms ourselves!

Food is good, rooms OK although can be noisy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was sorry to read of the confusion with your bedrooms and the fact this was resolved by your good selves for which I sincerely apologise. Please be assured this will be investigated and addressed with the relevant members of my team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Northampton
Reviewed 14 September 2010

This was a highly priced room and so I expected good things. The disappointments were several
1. Sloppy front desk on arrival - non- professional
2. Dark and oppressive decoration for the hotel.
3. I ordered a wake up call and a newpaper at check in- neither arrived.
4. Breakfast - sloppy and unprofessional service - two attendants were more interested in chatting to each other - slouching on sign in podium.
5. This Hotel has a training and management problem - and a gloomy atmosphere.

1 Thank Christopher066
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 15 September 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was sorry to read you felt your stay was disapointing for which I sincereley apologise. Please be assured I will be addressing your points with my team to include some refresher training where necessary. I hope you will return to the hotel in the future.
Neil Brailsford

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Oulu, Finland
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We spent only a night here, but we enjoyed it very much. The hotel room and bathroom seemed recently renovated and were both quite spacious. There was a nice complementary tea service in the room with a selection of teas and coffee. The reception staff were very friendly and courteous and not only let us store our bags after checkout, but called a cab for us to reach the train station. The only complaint is that I wish we could have stayed a few days longer. We were very satisfied with both the hotel and the price, which was very reasonable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to those staying in Southampton. It was in a very good location, down the street from the main shopping district (perhaps 10 min walk).

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alyana
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and would recommend the hotels to others. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon