Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$75
HolidayInn.com
US$113
  • Pool
Highfield House Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$64
US$90
Agoda.com
US$98
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton City Centre Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$85
PremierInn.com
1,678 results
All reviewsprivilege roomhigh streetone way systemcruise packagecity centrethe hotel car parkoxford streetstayed here for one nightisle of wightfull englishgood nights sleepcruise terminaldolphinswetherspoonsportannexdocks
Reviewed 14 October 2010

The location is very central, perfect for the Docks so ideal for a pre cruise stay. I stayed a night as I was attending the naming ceremony of the Queen Elizabeth the next day. The standard room sizes vary greatly but eventually I was given a large room on the 1st floor. The room & bathroom were recently renovated to a high standard, my only criticism is that there were no feather pillows available. I understand that a tiny minority of people suffer from feather allergies but I'd expect a 4* hotel to at least have a few stored in the housekeeping dept. I had a dinner bed & breakfast rate. I ate in the restaurant, it was a Sunday evening & there were only 3 people including myself and a friend dining. The food was excellent, I didn't have time for breakfast but it looked great too. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Southampton.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank APUK
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was gald you enjoyed your stay and will ensure your feedback is passed onto the team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 10 October 2010

I had a double room (smallish) on the ground floor with window onto pedestrian alley. Didn't think this looked too secure therefore kept window shut - room now too hot. A fan was provided though which helped.

Bed was comfortable and en-suite perfectly acceptable.

Had one drink in the hotel bar but thought the dinner menu a little too fancy. As another reviewer commented the location is great for bars and restaurants - just don't go to LUPA, the local Italian. 1hr 40mins for two courses is just not on!

Breakfast was adequate if, I felt, a little limited.

Overall a reasonable hotel that could try just a little harder.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
As with all customer feedback your views are important to us and will be used to evaluate the level of service we offer and look at ways in which we can improve.
I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel on a saturday night and checked in at 2pm as i had to get ready for a family function and leave at 3pm. Given what i had paid i was expecting to be impressed but was very disappointed with the minute room i was given (203) when i eventually found it! The LCD TV bracket was so badly fitted it stuck out from the side of the wall by at least 2 inches and i kept bashing myself on it, the other side of the bed was rammed up against the wall so i couldn't chose what side i slept (so it's not really a double which i what i booked and paid for!) if i managed to avoid bashing myself on the TV i hit the table opposite, furniture far too big for such a tiny room. They had thoughtfully provided a folding suitcase stand but there was nowhere to put it up! Also the desk lamp was not working. The bathroom was a better size but had no power shower just a mixer, and a large chunk of the cold tap on the bath appeared to be missing and a lot of the tiles were very grubby. I decided not to use the shower therefore! I had to get ready to go out at that time so couldn't go straight to reception and complain but i did later that day.
I listed my issues and stated that as you have given me a double which isn't and a room with so many faults maybe you should consider a complimentary breakfast as compensation? They did not agree to this but to be fair did suggest i could move rooms. By this time of day only rooms overlooking the lapdancing club were available as i am a light sleeper was not an option, this was a Saturday night remember.
All this pails into insignificance compared with what happened on the Sunday. I didn't sleep well (as i couldn't sleep on my normal side!) so had to rush to pack and be out before 11am (too early in my opinion especially on a Sunday) i left my luggage and went to meet family for lunch and shopping. When i got back and retrived my luggage i noticed that one of the bags seemed lighter than i remember after i'd packed it but i thought nothing more of it at the time. When i got home i noticed my leather file on my desk and was miffed as i meant to take this as i had some proof reading to do. Then i realised that i remembered packing a leather file but how could i have done that as it was at home? I realised with horror that in my haste to pack i must have grabbed the one in the room thinking it was mine (i did leave my one in a hotel once and have been paranoid about losing it again!) so i went through my luggage and it was not there. Then it struck me why my bag was lighter when i collected it the hotel staff must have gone through my stuff and removed it. This really distrubed and upset me i felt violated. You have no right to go through my stuff when i'm not there, even if i have inadvaterly packed something that i shouldn't have. You didn't bother to ask me what had happened when i returned just seemed to assume that i was planning to take your stupid file so finding it was not in the room you took it upon yourselves to take it out of my luggage - how dare you!! Do you have such a low opinion of your customers that you assume we are all on the rob? What next grabbing back the biscuits in the room if you don't see the wrappers in the bin?? If you are silly enough to stay here don't ever leave any luggage with them as they will have a good nose through.
The thing that really upsets me is that i really wanted to like this hotel. Its got a great history and the location is awesome, its even got 'lane' rooms that back out directly onto the courtyard which i would love to stay in.
Given my experience and the fact they went through my luggage i don't think i could ever trust them again. I stay in Southampton several times a year but will go back to the Holiday Inn next time. They may not have the history and heritage but at least they don't go through my luggage!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank BrightonMiranda
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I was concerned to read of the problems in room 203 for which I sincereley apologise and would like to assure you the areas that can be addressed have been actioned.

In regards to going through your luggaage I would like to straight away make it clear that guests property is secured away and is not touched. However in this case when moving your bags the guest room folder was clearly visable in an open bag which is the property of the hotel. I would like to make it clear we do not go searching for guests lugguage if large items from our rooms are missing. I have spoken with the people concerned and on review we should have spoken to you before removing the item however the situation is a very difficult one and if we had done this I may have been dealing with a review saying we had accused you of stealing!

Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel if I can clarify the matter any further.

Reviewed 27 September 2010

Small double room on the ground floor (Room No 9) with window onto pedestrian alley way from road. All we wanted was a comfortable place to sleep so the smallness of the room did not matter. Bed was pushed up against the wall so you could not walk around bed. Quiet room although a little hot. No aircon but a fan was provided. Hotel has recently been upgraded. Clean and tidy hotel/room. Bar was very pleasant drinks were a bit pricey but to be expected. Position was perfect for bars and restaurants including a great Indian restaurant (Corriander). Staff on reception were extremely friendly and helpful. Time did not allow us to have breakfast or food at the hotel. Perfect location for our needs. Would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2010

Dear Member
Thank you for taking the team to review your stay with us. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with and will ensure your feedback is communicated to the team. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 21 September 2010

I stayed at the Mecure Dolphin Hotel with my mother and son who we were dropping off at university. We had a double and a twin room. I found the receptionist who I first spoke to when booking very helpful. The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated, with complimentary tea and coffee. The bathrooms were modern and clean with complimentary products. The breakfast was lovely and the decor in the dining room was nice. We found all the staff to be pleasant and particularly helpful. There is a lovely restaurant right across the street. We will be back and definitely recommend this hotel. I own a guest house myself and consider myself to have high standards.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank finbob4
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2010

Dear Member
Thank you for your review, I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure your feedback is communicated to the team. Please keep an eye on the mercure.com website for the best available deals. I look forward on welcoming you back very soon.
Kind Regards