“Good solid Premier Inn”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Good solid Premier Inn”
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We have just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel. It is very handy for Southampton airport being situated a 2 minute walk from the terminal and 1 minute from Southampton Airport Parkway railway station.

The hotel itself has only been built in the last couple of years and so is more modern in design and furnishings than some of the older Premier Inns. We had a room facing the airport but there was no airport noise at all. The room was sufficiently large for our short stay and the bed was large and comfortable.

As with the other Premier Inns we have stayed in the best part of the stay was the breakfast. There's a really good selection and sets you up for the day ahead perfectly! The breakfast area is reasonably small and there wasn't much room for us but the staff were friendly and made up another table in the restaurant area with no fuss.

Overall a really good stay and very handy if you are using Southampton airport as a base.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — Small restaurant
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ap998

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2008

Just stayed here for 3 nights as I was working in the area.

The hotel was clean and quite fresh inside. My room was fine, like a Travelodge with frills i.e. kettle and a picture on the wall!
TV with about 3 extra sky channels.

Room was quiet and offered a good nights sleep but after the first night I had to switch the air conditioner off as it kept waking me up when it kicked in

The room and bathroom seemed quite new and was cleaned to a good standard each day.

For my first night I went down to the restaurant and was given a look of disbelief as I didn't have a reservation (despite the many empty tables), I made a reservation and returned an hour later. The same happened to a lady while I was there, several tables remained empty until she came back!?!

The menu had a reasonable choice and the specials menu looks like it changes on a regular basis. I asked for a lemonade only to be told the had run out and yet I saw customers being served with it after me.

I then had to wait 30 minutes for my starter and a further 30 minutes for my main, I wasn't the only one. The food was passable.

The second night I didn't risk it and ate before I came back but then struggled to find a parking space. Due to this I braved the restaurant for my last night and was sure to make a reservation as soon as i got in. I could eat at any time I wanted as long as it was 20-past or 20-to the hour!! The service was quicker, food ok.

The best part about the restaurant was breakfast, something for everyone and as much as you want.

Maybe I'm being too picky, I'd stay there again and it's ideal for the airport.

• Liked — Bathroom
  • Disliked — Resturant
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Little_Way_Down
Scotland
Reviewed 29 February 2008

I have just spent a night at the Premier Inn at Southampton Airport and cannot fault this hotel at all.
The staff were excellent, friendly and very knowledgeable.
The rooms were immaculate and very quiet considering it is next to the airport.
If you are ever in Southampton for business or pleasure this hotel is fantastic

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank golfer45Scotland
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 19 February 2007

Ideally situated for both Southampton Parkway railway station and the airport; the Travel Inn has very quiet bedrooms considering its location.
Staff are helpful and the restaurant is fine.
To be recommended if you have an early morning flight from SOU.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BisleyBullet
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2006

Okay, so the place lacks style and charm.

But the rooms are spacious and clean. Three colleagues and I stayed three nights, and ate in the restaurant each night. The food was great, with a different special every day. Breakfast was fine. Beers were the usual choice of three lagers and Guinness, but there you go.

There were two nice waitresses.

The only thing that let the place down was the bizarre heating/cooling unit in the bedroom. It served its purpose – but had two settings, Very Loud and Extremely Noisy. I couldn’t sleep with it on. Why don’t they have central heating and air conditioning?

Having said that, I’d definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank DessertStorm
Bray, Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2005

I've stayed here quite a few times when working for the University of Southampton (very handy as U1 bus goes from the station a few seconds from the hotel door to the Highfield campus). The rooms are very spacious and considering near a road and the airport very well sound proofed. You are only paying £67 a night for your room so don't expect the Ritz but I do take exception to some of the staff's attitude towards their guests. The restaurant in particular is dire - the menu seems good and diverse but the food is over cooked ( left too long under the grill/deep fat fryer!) and bland. For the first time in my life I sent back a meal - it was Chicken Tikka Masala but was in a horrid bland sauce and the chicken pieces were perfectly square and processed - yuk! The girl asked me was the meal OK , I told her my complaint and she apologied but I was still charged for the meal as "it is one of our most popular dishes!". The staff seem to be more interested in chatting to each other than doing their job. One morning for breakfast there was no cups and the bread was frozen - every one was really peed off but the staff' attitude was "it's not my fault we don't have enough cups" etc. My husband tried ringing me one night and the phone just rang out , when I rang reception the same happened. When I eventually got through and checked I had the right number I was told "I'm on my own and busy - no "I'm sorry" . Anyway at the risk of sounding like Alan Partridge, I'm back in Southampton next week and literally couldn't face back to the same staff so am going to try my luck with Jury's Inn. I would recommend this hotel if you avoid the restaurant and need little contact with the staff.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business